Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do you pay your daughter to babysit?
Previous  1  2

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 9:52 am
No and I don't ask they to use the money they earn to pay for their clothing or other necessities. We are a family we support one another.

Helping out in a home is expected normal behavior. I am not my children's maid, cook, chauffeur, tutor, personal shopper. I am their mother and I take care of them, they are my child and part of a family and help in appropriate ways.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 10:44 am
I don't yet have a child old enough to babysit, but my gut reaction is that I will pay a child to babysit when they start paying me for cooking, chauffeuring, laundry services and so forth. Really, I think it's reasonable to expect your child to babysit without compensation.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 11:35 am
I would pay them if it was a really long night or a regular time that you need consistently. Once or twice a week for 20 minutes I would not pay.

newshiny

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 1:54 am
I don't pay my teen for babysitting her sisters, or for any other chores she has, but occasionally I'll get her a little gift "as a thank you for helping out in the house when it's needed, particularly for X, Y or Z."

I don't think that it's right to pay family members for doing necessary chores around the house (including looking after siblings) but it's nice for them to know they are appreciated.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 3:27 am
I do pay my DD, partly because DS has some SN, and can be a little more work than your average babysitting job sometimes. (I pay her about what she would make sitting for a frum family, not what I pay an older sitter/college student.)

Also because I want my kids to learn about saving and spending early in life, and it's good for them to occasionally get a boost in pocket money.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children