Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Online enrichment program for HS

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 6:05 pm
So this is not exactly about homeschooling but its along those lines.

My son is in 9th grade and is ka"h very smart. Because he's so bright, he's extremely bored and then makes trouble. We've had this issue since 4th grade.

The HS that he's in has no problem expelling him for poor behavior. In order to avoid this, the principal said we should look into an alternate enrichment program that he will do under supervision of a "tutor".

Needless to say I'm not very happy with this solution as its going to be very expensive on top of the tuition that I'm paying already.

(we've tried many incentives/consequences for him to behave but they have not worked in the past)

My question is what enrichment programs are out there for purchase/download that my son could do? Are any programs good for college credits (may as we take advantage...)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(Anonymous because I've been talking about this IRL.)

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:06 pm
Is the school going to give him "time off" to do these enrichment courses? As I assume he is in a more right-leaning school, he doesn't have much time outside of limudei kodesh. I would ascertain how much time they are realistically going to give him to work on outside material.

Have you tried Kahn Academy? It's free and he can learn about lots of topics but he needs internet access to do it. There are many state universities that have high school correspondence programs (Texas, Indiana, etc) which may fit the bill.

What is he interested in? Maybe one of the high school contests (westinghouse science, math olympiad, latin, debate)?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:10 pm
Thank you Yael for your response.
To clarify: he would be taking these classes during secular studies time. It would have to be downloadable (did I just make up a word?) because the yeshiva can't have him online.

Can you please tell me more about the kahn academy?

He's extremely interested in science - bio, chemistry...

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:16 pm
Khan academy is an online program. It's a wonderful resource, but if the school won't allow internet, it may not be your answer.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

A more expensive, but perhaps more workable option, would be to look into CTY.

http://cty.jhu.edu/

You would have to have him download and upload some things, but he could probably work in school on the written parts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling