Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Reading

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 23 2007, 10:29 pm
I was randomly checking frum profiles on hi5.

Read on a chassidishe girl's profile:
Mushky wrote:
favorite book: The sight of a book makes me sick

Granted she is 16 and I am not, but... in the old times when I was raised (lol) this was totally NOT accepted among Jews, frum and frei alike, with the exception of some of those whose grandparents were illiterate (small villages in North Africa).
That girl is Ashkenazi, frum, chassidish, and she hates books?? I am shocked. At 16 I was reading one book a week "for myself", in addition of high school schedule and homework. My father used to read one book a day before his eye sight became less good. So did my great grandmother.

How do we make sure our children will love reading?

- Having books all around
- Reading in front of them
- Reading stories to them
- Encourage them to read by buying appropriate books for their age and praising their reading skills
- Telling them why they should read (culture, enjoyable...)
- Not allowing them at the comp before their reading is solid and enjoyed
- And when they are allowed, limiting the comp time, same for video games, AND TV

What else? Let's continue the list!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jun 23 2007, 10:45 pm
Yes, many DO love reading but not everyone.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 23 2007, 11:12 pm
Ok, some just like it.
But the quote above goes much stronger than "it's not really my fav activity, anyway I enjoyed reading [inserts a few titles]". It's a BIG problem and very scary that it has reached the frummest circles. Reading is (was? Sad ) extremely strongly emphasized in Jewish chinuch, maybe even more in frum one. Decades ago it was also the case by the non jews. Now, they are having huge difficulties about it, I witnessed it first hand when I was in middle n high school. But that takes the cake. Even the non reading non Jews I know dont express themselves like that, but they are older than this girl.

Hence my initial questions.

bashinda

Post Sat, Jun 23 2007, 11:27 pm
definitely all thoes things can help but also it's just the way a person is. I'm also shock that somebody could say that about reading. I love reading though. I was reading from a very early age and I'm just a voracious reader.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics