Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Maaser - has anyone asked this shaila before?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 2:44 am
I know I know AYLOR but I'm not going to find one at this point - I'll ask later and square up if there's any issue. But I'm sure this has been asked before somewhere... interested if you've received an answer.

I am low income but B"H have my basic needs met so I am, as far as I can tell, if not strictly obligated then at least strongly advised to give maaser, and I'd like to do it anyway (it must be working - I did last year and my income this year is almost double! Worked hard for it but at least I HAD work)

So while our basic needs are met we do benefit from various forms of charity. We get a tuition discount and subsidized therapy.

My question is this: If a tuition relief fund is a valid maaser recipient, so I want to make a donation to the same fund that benefits us, can I tell them this donation is for that child (ie mine) or is that like paying my kids' tuition which is not considered maaser (let's not debate whether tuition is maaser, I'm going according to what I learned on this last year which is that compulsory education isn't charity)? Same for therapy - if my therapy is being subsidized by a tzedakah on a "pay what you can" scale and I have several hundred dollars of maaser available, can I give it to the fund and say "this is for my therapy"?

TBH even if I gave all my maaser straight to the school it would only equal about three months of my discount Sad But that's beside the point.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 7:37 am
I think this is a tax question and not a maaser question. Generally speaking, you cannot give to a tax-deductible fund for your own benefit.

May you have a year of prosperity and all good things.

MommyM

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:23 am
Why can't you give to the fund without specifying who it's for. In that way, there is no problem because it's not specified for your children

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:31 am
I am in this situation - we cant afford to give maaser right now. We were told that for the time being, our maaser can go right into our tuition payments (which are also reduced). So we give the maaser in the form of tuition payments.

Also, MommyM - you CAN give to a pass-through fund thats a 501(c)(3), like a local tzedakka org and ask them to pass your donation to the school with a recommendation that it is used for your childrens tuition. This is a legal option, I have confirmed that fact. The org. may not KNOW that its legal, but thats a different thing.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 10:27 am
It is not a tax question if I'm not interested in taking a tax deduction for it. I don't know all the ins and outs but even with giving maaser my deductions are always less than the standard deduction. And presumably the school has a non-tax-deductible cash flow channel because of all the regular tuition coming in.

MommyM I want to specify because there's a stipulation that if you receive a tuition discount you intend to pay it back when you're able. Of course if your wealthy uncle pays off your balance as a kindness, then that absolves you. So I'm wondering if giving my maaser that way counts.

Watergirl, that's interesting. I will have to ask an LOR after YK.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 10:48 am
Many rabbanim count tuition or at least the chol part of tuition for everyone, not just poor. Many say also that if you are supported by family, orgs, social money... You give TZEDAKA NOT MAASSER.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:01 am
I did my research and the consensus among my local rabbanim seems to be:
Tuition for kids 5 and older is not maaser because it is legally required in my locale. Preschool younger than that if you sent the kids so the parents could work then it is deducted from income when calculating maaser.
If you're SUPPORTED by tzedakah then you should not give that away, but if you have your own income, pay for a roof over your head, food, clothes, and basics, but receive help for things other than just living (private school tuition, special clothes for yomtov, etc. Really the only things we get help with are tuition and one person's emotional health therapist, but we receive government assistance for health care and food) you may not be required to give maaser, there are differing opinions that may depend on just how much assistance you need, but it is still permitted and praiseworthy to try to do it AS LONG AS you are meeting your own basic needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics