Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help!my 10 year old needs help

amother

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 11:02 pm
my son is 10 and I'm sure he has adhd and I'm not quick to label!
he's very smart and creative but hates reading,davening.he's very hyper and active and extremely skinny-
he's had social problems in the past -such as he doesn't know his limits. for ex: he'll "jump " around or be extra playful with someone and when the person says stops he finds it difficult to stop until a fight occurs. if its an adult then it could have been an adult who started the playfulness but he didn't pick up the "cues" to stop and the adult will then get frustrated. as he's getting older he's getting better however he's become angrier!
anyone know what type of evaluation he needs or therapy? or any other solution.?
he's funny ,gets everyone in stitches but hard for him to follow rules- I want him to get the help he needs so he can adjust better and be happy.
by the way I did get his eyes tested and everything was fine.by the way I switched school where he has only 10 kids in a class and he's also having a hard time adjusting to the change. he always says"everyone fights with me"
please help?!
I have to switch to americhoice so if anyone knows anything I can do perhaps with my insurance as money is tight I'd truly appreciate it.

healthymama

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 11:19 pm
1. If you live in America, you can ask your child's public school system to test him for a learning disability and ADHD. Make sure they observe him at his school and also give you and the teachers rating scales.

2. You should also get a full medical evaluation because there are other conditions that can look like ADHD but are not. These include sleep apnea, high lead levels, thyroid imbalances, etc. If your son does have ADHD, you can decide whether you want medications, behavior therapy or other alternatives for him. There are many people on all sides of the issue and whomever you ask will give you different advice.

3. You may want to look more at the social issues. Have a friend come over to his house and observe the interactions. Perhaps your son needs more conflict resolution skills or anger management.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 4:02 am
yes the local school district is obligated to test your child for free for all of these things and see if he needs and Individualized Education Plan ... they have all the right professionals in place and this is where your tax money goes ... take advantage ... I did.

theweddingplaner

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 5:40 am
hi my son is also nearly 10 and has been going to a school in rooklyn called Haor Beacon the best thing that happened to him
Also I try to keep him on a sugar free,coloring free ,milk free,and no ketchup diet it really works
People cal me all the time you can email me at kallah5760@aol.com or call 9172252515
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children