Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8 Month Old Eating Schedule

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 4:36 pm
What's a breastfed 8 month old feeding get schedule to look like?

What foods, when, how much bf, how often etc.

Thanks for your help

mamita

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 4:49 pm
You want to start solids?
Breastfeeding can continue exclusively quiet happily. Baby should eat 5-8 times a day.
Introducing solids according to pediatricians guidance one new food at a time to rule out allergies. Growing food portions as adapts to a baby size meal.
Then baby might nurse less.
You could nurse three times a day and solids twice between
Or reverse. Baby might eat less and nurse end of solid.
As long as baby is fed often enough. Is happy-satisfied and is making regular wet diapers you are OK whichever way you go.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 5:30 pm
I've started giving an occassional servong of banana, pureed vegetables from the soup, and oatmeal and apple sauce.

If I don't start now on a schedule, when would I start?

Also, anyone proved that giving solids before bedtime made their baby sleep for a longer stretch? Mine breastfeeds through the night.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
I've started giving an occassional servong of banana, pureed vegetables from the soup, and oatmeal and apple sauce.

If I don't start now on a schedule, when would I start?

Also, anyone proved that giving solids before bedtime made their baby sleep for a longer stretch? Mine breastfeeds through the night.

If there was irrefutable proof that giving solids made all babies sleep well/longer, all those baby sleep books and web sites would be redundant! Each baby is different. Some babies breastfeed through the night until they are much older, regardless of how many solids they eat through the day. Others sleep with much less food during the day.

You should start a schedule when it suits you and your baby, not when people tell you to. Each baby is different (I know, I said that already) and some people on here may have had their babies on a strict schedule at four months; others on an "on demand" schedule at 12 months. Read your baby's cues. S/he will tell you what foods s/he wants better than we can. It's good to try everything; baby food, adult food etc. to find out what your baby likes.

I have a 10 month old who does a mixture of on demand/meal type feeding. I find that some days my baby responds to our scheduled meal times and other days my baby prefers to feed at different times.

Enjoy.

sky

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:51 pm
My baby is almost 8 months. Not on a feeding schedule but I started one jar and occasional rice cereal at around 6 months. otherwise No bottles - only breast feeding.

Before yom tov I was giving a few cheerios in the morning with about 1/2 diced banana (really to keep her busy while I got the others out to school) and then a baby jar around supper time.

Over yom tov she got a ton more food due to the guests that loved to feed her and the long meals during which she begged to be fed (she makes mmmmm sounds whenever she sees food). So she had cheerios and bananas for breakfast, challah crust and soup veggies and potato and noodle kugel and ground meat and homemade pita chips during the meals. She is also crawling and eats EVERYTHING she finds so I really don't know what she is eating (this includes leaves, dust, food crumbs, winkies, etc).
She was nursing less toward the end of yom tov - but only during the day! She still got up her regular 2 times during the night.
I may scale the food back slightly now back to where we were before. I'm not sure when I'm going to start 3 meals a day.

I found with all my babies that they woke up during the night until I stopped breast feeding.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 8:07 pm
sky wrote:
My baby is almost 8 months. Not on a feeding schedule but I started one jar and occasional rice cereal at around 6 months. otherwise No bottles - only breast feeding.

Before yom tov I was giving a few cheerios in the morning with about 1/2 diced banana (really to keep her busy while I got the others out to school) and then a baby jar around supper time.

Over yom tov she got a ton more food due to the guests that loved to feed her and the long meals during which she begged to be fed (she makes mmmmm sounds whenever she sees food). So she had cheerios and bananas for breakfast, challah crust and soup veggies and potato and noodle kugel and ground meat and homemade pita chips during the meals. She is also crawling and eats EVERYTHING she finds so I really don't know what she is eating (this includes leaves, dust, food crumbs, winkies, etc).
She was nursing less toward the end of yom tov - but only during the day! She still got up her regular 2 times during the night.
I may scale the food back slightly now back to where we were before. I'm not sure when I'm going to start 3 meals a day.

I found with all my babies that they woke up during the night until I stopped breast feeding.

I should have known that you will reply. We were in the same pregnancy month group LOL

Thanks for your reply as well as the other amother.

Ye, we give him challah crusts too. Cheerios? I'm so afraid of gagging and/or choking so I'm always hesitant to try new foods.

Ftr, this is my 3rd kah, first two being twins and didn't nurse for so long so it was a whole different ball game then.

The following was today's schedule: woke up late, bf after kids went off to school followed by a nap.

Gave some banana when he awoke.
Tried bf'ing about an hour later and wasn't too interested. That was about 3.5 hrs since prior bf session.

Tried again a little later and just took a bit, not much.

Gave apple sauce and oatmeal at supper time (with the hopes of getting a stretch tonight), bath and bf.

I feel like I'm not bf'ing enough/ he's not so interested anymore. I wanna hold on to it longer.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:50 am
Over yom tov she was going much longer between nursing sessions. I was wondering if it was the extra food or just a disinterest, plus she is teething so it could also hurt. at night unfortunately she loves nursing just as often.

I find babies do great with Cheerios, they have a gag reflux. Its also great for fine motor skills. by now she is pretty good at getting them in her mouth.

mamita

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:

My baby's slept through the night while nursing. Or if they wanted solids plus nursing. If you care for yourself so that your milk supply isn't negatively affected baby can get all he needs. Baby's sometimes wake up for cuddle and mommy time or because they are used to it. Not because they are hungry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics