Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
The no saga sleep problem!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 9:06 pm
HI

I was researching this topic on googel trying to find a solution but I then thought that imamather is the best bet for answser since we are frum womenon here who have a lot of kid and hench experiance

I am having a challenging time withmy 7 month old. I am breastfeeding him no formula and he wakes up about 3 times a night.

I give him soids twice a day. I dont think more solids is the answer b/c I tried but he spit it up so right now this works.

I am sleepless and my whole family is feeling the effects.
It used to be about 5 time a night but then I wouldnt feed him every two hours so he woke up less but now its stll 3 times a night
I recently moved him out of my room 2 weeks ago

when he was getting up every 2 hours I would say I wouldnt feed him until 3 hours passed and if he would wake up I would go to him give him a paci. he would cry I would wait five minutes give him paci. I never let him cry more than five minutes without me coming he

Do you think waking up 3 times a night is normal? he is not really so fussy so I dont thinks its teething athough he just got his 3rd tooth

sorry this is rambling I just have t take care of a toddler also and my sleep isnt happening

at what age would YOU do a crying it out

Chaya4

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 9:18 pm
there is a really great book called "the no cry sleep solution". it is a very practical book with a step by step plan of how to get your child to sleep. check it out

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 9:34 pm
IMHO, a 7 month old (unless he's tiny or underweight) shouldn't be hungry 3 x/night. He is just used to waking up and seeing you, but he needs to get used to sleeping.

He's used to you coming to him when he cries, B"H you're a good Mommy, but going in to give him a paci is almost a tease b/c he sees you but can't have you.

You can pick your own style of sleep training, but at his age, I would expect him to sleep through the night but wake up early in the morning to feed (maybe 5 or 6 a.m.) and then go back to sleep for a few hours.

Also, I wouldn't stop with the solids. A little cereal at dinner time really can help tide him over.

It will be hard for the first day or two, but you can get this little fellow sleep trained. You'll both be better off. Hatzlacha!

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 9:41 pm
With both my kids (also breastfed, and in another room), I've sent my husband in to calm every 5 minutes with the pacifier, since I felt it was too cruel to go in there myself without feeding. It took maybe 3 nights for my 2nd (she was only waking once a night at about 4 mos) and about a week & 1/2 for my eldest (she was still waking 2-3x at 6 mos, when I started solids) and after that only once in a long while. And my younger, 8 mos, still gets no solids. If your husband is willing, I think that's ideal. (and will be less wakeful nights in the long run)

MovinMom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 11:48 pm
My almost seven month old still wakes up many times a night... I think my body just learnt how to cope with no sleep....

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:06 am
my son is almost 10 months and still doesnt sleep through the night.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:21 am
In my experience, babies do not sleep through the night if they are nursing, but once they stop they quickly change their pattern. And in my opinion, that's the way Hashem designed babies, because they need the nourishment/comfort during the night. (That's why when mothers complain that their babies are not sleeping through the night, almost everyone else nods and says, "Mine too... what should we do?" But the reason everyone shares this "problem" is that it's not a problem -- it's NORMAL.

Of course you CAN train them to go back to sleep without calling for you, but that's against their nature and needs as infants. (7 months old -- and even 10 months old -- is still a VERY young baby, still very dependent on its mother, again, because Hashem designed babies that way.)

If nursing is important to you, you should be aware that night nursing keeps your supply up, with the additional result that you are likely to also have more space (naturally) between children. But obviously, these are all personal issues and no one else can decide what's right for you.

I've found that the easiest solution is simply to sleep with my baby while they are still night-nurses. Then they can nurse however many times they want at night, and I sleep right through it. And since there's no crying, the rest of the family can sleep too.

Soon enough babies grow, stop nursing, and sleep happily in their own beds. The close nursing bond is so special while it lasts... what's the hurry? Enjoy snuggling with your baby!! Very Happy

mimivan

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:50 am
Quote:
I've found that the easiest solution is simply to sleep with my baby while they are still night-nurses. Then they can nurse however many times they want at night, and I sleep right through it. And since there's no crying, the rest of the family can sleep too.

Soon enough babies grow, stop nursing, and sleep happily in their own beds. The close nursing bond is so special while it lasts... what's the hurry? Enjoy snuggling with your baby!!

Thumbs Up

Great advice, although I can understand why you posted anon, because I've gotten some flack for cosleeping...I am sitting in the park with other mothers with babies the same age and I am silent when they complain about babies not sleeping through the night...I absent myself so they don't get mad at me for saying b'h I can sleep at night... LOL

Yes, it can breed "bed dependence" but it is much easier to teach a weaned 2 year old to sleep alone than a 7 month old who needs to nurse several times a night. Best to co-sleep until weaning, co-sleep a little longer to reassure the child, and gradually wean the child to sleeping alone...after I weaned, I put my child to sleep by taking him in the stroller.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 1:01 am
[quote="mimivan"]
Quote:
it is much easier to teach a weaned 2 year old to sleep alone than a 7 month old who needs to nurse several times a night.

Exactly!!

Quote:
Best to co-sleep until weaning, co-sleep a little longer to reassure the child, and gradually wean the child to sleeping alone...

That's exactly what I have done with all of my children. They are all great sleepers now. None have any had any sleep issues or difficulties after weaning and moving to their own beds -- because they are READY and it's a natural phase in their development to move on.

My littlest is still nursing at 2.5 but will soon transition to the next stage with a little nudge from me, because I'm pregnant and the nursing is starting to drive me nuts!

LOL

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 1:21 am
[quote="mimivan"]
Quote:
Great advice, although I can understand why you posted anon, because I've gotten some flack for cosleeping...

By the way, that isn't the reason I posted anonymously... it's that I prefer to keep my real screen name more anonymous and less identifiable. Kinda ironic, eh? Smile

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 10:08 am
amother wrote:

Of course you CAN train them to go back to sleep without calling for you, but that's against their nature and needs as infants. (7 months old -- and even 10 months old -- is still a VERY young baby, still very dependent on its mother, again, because Hashem designed babies that way.)

If nursing is important to you, you should be aware that night nursing keeps your supply up, with the additional result that you are likely to also have more space (naturally) between children. But obviously, these are all personal issues and no one else can decide what's right for you.

There are reasons people don't or can't cosleep. And talking from personal experience, my kids have very naturally adjusted to sleeping through the night and eat very often close to bedtime and my supply adjusts to that.

I totally agree with the nursing clean part, though. And I have friends who cosleep for exactly that reason, though they find it difficult. I can just say that at age 30 with 2 kids, I'm just not concerned...

happymom

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:58 am
Quote:
I am having a challenging time withmy 7 month old. I am breastfeeding him no formula and he wakes up about 3 times a night.

that is very normal. my baby also did that at seven months.... and ive heard solids do not help them sleep better at night... I know its hard, but it will stop when your baby gets older.

zigi

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:09 am
what is the temperment of your baby? if he is verystubborn. don't do the crying out method b/c he will be screaming the whole night. I am not exagerating! one of my kids is very stubborn! it was a nightmare. if your baby is very easy going and can adapt easily then it can work. I think ferber said you can do the cry it out method at 6 months.

basically you have to get him used to sleeping for longer periods at night and eating more during the day. try tracy hogg's book the baby whisperers answer to all your problems. she has a lot of good advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics