Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Magnetic Building Toys which one?
1  2  Next

Which magnetic building toy for ages 1-6
Magna Tiles  
 44%  [ 11 ]
Playmags  
 32%  [ 8 ]
Magformers  
 24%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 25

cbg

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:59 pm
I want to buy magnetic building toys for Chanukah but don't know which I should buy.
Ages 1-6

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:11 pm
I have Playmags for my 2 year old daughter. She loves it! Great quality n hours of play!

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:25 pm
My kids have magnsformers we are very happy!

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:31 pm
I have magna tiles and voted for them because they are awesome! Endless hours of fun! But I don't know the other brands and therefore have nothing to compare it to. They were a gift.
I will say magna tiles are much more expensive and therefore will end up with fewer tiles. So if a price limit is important to you, or you have many kids, get the cheaper versions and get more of them. Only thing bad about an amazing toy is when the kids fight over it.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:39 pm
There's an Amazon deal on Magformers today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VN5ZLA

lazyone

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:41 pm
Play mags is manufactured by a Jewish company. They go on special in the local Jewish toy stores frequently. Just bought an additional set to add to our collection. They improved the magnets to be twice as strong as they were before. Highly recommend it

esther11

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:43 pm
magformers vs magnatiles here are my thoughts:
Magformers make much stronger structures (u can make a shape and totally pick it up/move it). But, they don't match up unless the poles are lined up right, meaning u have to turn them to build correctly. My friend really prefers these because of the strength of the magnets.
Magnatiles are very easy to build with, I find them to be really great for my kids. They build nicely but are not as tight and strong once built, but they hold up nicely enough for building-u just can't lift up the structure once built.

yksraya

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:45 pm
I bought playmags last chanuka as a gift for the kiddies, they love it!!!!!

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 6:55 pm
Magformers are the ones that are just like outlines of shapes right- not solid through? If so then I vote for those. You can make such cool stuff with them and I think they're easier for the littlest one to hold onto. My baby under 1 loves playing with them!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:25 am
Also interested in buying

Roots

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 9:44 am
we have playmags and magformers.
I like playmags more. the kids play with them for hours and dont get bored of them.
magformers are also good but the magneic force is much stronger (its harder for little kids to tear them apart)
also with th e playmags, they can build so many things, I think more than the magformers..(IMHO)

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:13 pm
I prefer the magnatiles and magnatile knockoffs because kids expand more to imaginative and pretend play. Magformers can get more interesting in other ways because of the stronger magnets, older kids might build bridges and other complex structures that would collapse with magnatiles, but if you have both little and big kids and want to just buy one nice magnet toy, you'll get a lot of mileage out of magnatiles.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:35 pm
I have 240 pieces of the playmags. I read the reviews here before purchasing and people said they're good.
I wouldn't recommend them. They're constantly falling down and it's very frustrating.
I should have saved up and gone for the original.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:15 pm
If I go with Magna tiles.
Is 100 pieces enough for a family of 3 boys
Ages 5.5, 2.5, 10m., brothers.

Also do they need the big base that is sold seperate.

This will be a Chanukah present.

I also would like to get them for my other grandchildren.
2 other families with 1 child each (5 and 2) , so I can get them a smaller set.

Am I making the right decision?

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:35 pm
They don't need the base at all.

100 pieces is a nice set. Definitely no less for the family of 3.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:37 pm
I bought the 100 piece set for my 6yr old he sometimes shares with 10 yr old but I added another set of 50 with different shapes shortly thereafter to make it more interesting. I have playmags which can be purchased on Amazon. After about 6 months of constant use the magnets are not as strong. I would still buy it though it's a great toy

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:44 pm
I have two 100 piece sets ( we probably lost some by now. They r 3 years old) for my 5 year old and 4 year old and looking to add another set or 2. I just don't feel it's enough pieces at all especially when we have guests over. They need lots of pieces to build stuff and it's honestly just not enough.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:08 pm
For 3 kids you might need more than 100. It really isn't a ton of pieces once the kids get into it.

And you don't need the base- I don't own it!

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:53 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
For 3 kids you might need more than 100. It really isn't a ton of pieces once the kids get into it.

And you don't need the base- I don't own it!

How many pieces for Magna tiles?
And are ppl really paying $300-$400 on just 1 toy.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:03 pm
I think 100 is fine to start with. You can always do a booster set later on for another gifting occasion if you see that they really want one. Less than 100 gets a little wimpy but you can do plenty with 100. If it gets to be a problem you can have kids play in shifts. But what I find happens more is that they learn to collaborate, which is very nice. In school I see MagnaTiles bring out social skills in a very special way (the good and the bad skills sometimes... but they bring them out and plenty of opportunities for all kinds of social exercise)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children