Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bus tickets in Israel

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 4:32 am
I was told I can pay the driver directly. Is this true of all lines? Do they require exact change? Would be traveling mostly in Jerusalem, possibly from Jerusalem to RBS and back. How much are fares? I'm trying to figure out how much cash to have on me. Thanks

water_bear88

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 4:46 am
Paying driver directly- AFAIK on all lines, though it's likely worth it to get a rav kav if you'll be traveling more than a handful of times so you can get a discount for purchasing 10 rides at once or a day pass within Jerusalem (worth it if you'd be taking more than 2 buses, not including transfers). The day pass may not be worth it if you're eligible for a senior discount (60+ for women, I believe), but then you need a rav kav to get the discount.

Whether you're paying for an individual ride or loading a new kartisiah of 10 or more rides, you do not need exact change. I'd recommend not trying to break a 200 unless you're paying for at least 50 shekels' worth of rides, though, and drivers may run out of some of the smaller denominations of coins so try to have the agorot when you can. (E.g. if you're paying 47.60, the driver will almost always be happier to take 50.60 and give you 3 in change or 50.10 to give you 2.50 since the .50 is a single coin.)

I don't remember the individual fares, sorry- I think it's about 45 for a regular kartisiah of 10 rides in Jerusalem, but I'm not positive, and anyway you might get a better deal if you're eligible for a senior discount.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:04 am
You can pay the driver, exact change not necessary, but if you will be in israel for a decent amount of time, it's worth getting a Rav Kav card and putting money on it. Certain amounts save you 10% on Egged. You can also just get a kartisiyah.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:09 am
Thank you. Where do I buy the Rav Kav or Kartisiyah? Does it take long?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:20 am
amother wrote:
Thank you. Where do I buy the Rav Kav or Kartisiyah? Does it take long?

You can buy a card on the bus. You can charge it either on the bus with cash (no need for exact cash but many times a driver will refuse to break a 200 bill) or at light rail stations - using either cash or credit card.
You cannot pay cash for a train ride.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:44 am
There are Rav Kav offices in the Ramot mall, central bus station, Rav Shefa mall, and others that I'm not familiar with.

daveningwife

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:49 am
It's 47 point something for 10 rides on a Rav Kav, 5.90 for a single ride which if you get it on a bus doesn't transfer to the train. Super easy to get a Rav kav, just ask the bus driver and he'll give you an anonymous one. He might charge 5 shekel but worth it if getting the ten pass! With the Rav kav you can also buy just one ride. Either way with the Rav kav you can transfer to the train. Good luck!!

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:19 pm
In Jerusalem (including Kever Rachel, Mevasseret, Maale Adumim, Givat Zeev...) a single ride is 5.90. Note that if you pay a cash fare it does not include a transfer. This is true for the bus and the train. You used to be able to purchase an anonymous rav kav (doesn't give any discounts like child or senior, only bulk purchase) for 10NIS from the bus driver; I don't know if this is still true. If you get a rav kav you must "validate" it every time you get on a bus or train, even if your transfer period (90 minutes) is still valid. Failure to do so can result in a 180NIS fine if you are caught. Train tickets must be purchased on the platform before boarding, whether for rav kav or cash fares. 10 fare cartisiyot may still be loaded on the bus or train platform for 47.20.

Teomima

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:00 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
You cannot pay cash for a train ride.

Of course you can. You just buy the ticket before getting on the train.

You can get an official personalized RavKav at any authorized office. The value in those is if it's lost, you can have any remaining balance/rides that existed on the card, translated to your replacement card. Also, it's the only way to get any discounts (senior/youth/student/disabled). Otherwise you can buy an "anonimi" anonymous card on the bus from the driver for five shekel, but if it's lost you lose all rides put on it.

It's never worth it to pay just cash because you can not use it for a transfer. At the very least get an anonimi card. Then you can load it with multiple ride tickets which saves you money.

Though you can charge it on the bus, I suggest charging it at a light rail station machine. You can look through the various ticket options, in your language of choice, at your leisure, without having to deal with a driver trying to move you along while you try to learn your options.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics