Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Masculine/Feminine - Nature/Nurture

Motek

Post Sun, May 22 2005, 4:24 pm
Do little girls naturally want to play with dolls and boys with trucks? Or is it because we give dolls to girls and trucks to boys?

Some time ago, I read a fascinating book called, "As Nature Made Him,'' written by Canadian journalist John Colapinto. Did any of you read it?

Due to a botched circumcision shock Bruce was made into Brenda because the parents were told that this would be best for the child. Boy, was that doctor wrong! Yet, he advised countless parents to do this and Bruce's case was hailed as a medical triumph.

Quote:
It was seen as proof of the idea that a person's s-xual identity is ultimately determined by environment, leading doctors around the world to perform thousands of relations reassignments on infants with similarly injured or abnormal genitalia.

fascinating but creepy read

http://www.moss-fritch.com/medical_error.htm

1stimer

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 10:43 am
Horrific!

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 11:36 am
if a frum child would be born with out private parts or mixed gender, I wonder what the halachac implications that baby would have..what do u do?

micki

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 11:50 am
nope- boys are programmed differently. after my girls I only had girly toys in the house.when my boy was playing with their toys he would crash the dolls strollers, zoom the dollhouse cars, he made the girl toys masculine. plus the boys did mischeif that the girls never dreamed of doing. boys are programmed differently.

and what does a botched circumcision mean? they really turned a boy into a girl?

Motek

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:05 pm
Rochel Leah wrote:
if a frum child would be born with out private parts or mixed gender, I wonder what the halachac implications that baby would have..what do u do?

it's discussed in the Mishna! There are numerous halachic implications - think about it - does he/she put on tefillin? more generally, is he/she obligated in mitzvos like a man or a woman?

a poster's husband was kind enough to write a long explanation about it, but that thread was removed

maybe you can ask yael to repost just that post (I know which thread it was in)

Yael

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:10 pm
I dont remember this, what thread?

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:20 pm
Oh yes I remember asking that same question Rochel Leah in another thread though can't for the life of me remember which one Scratching Head

And 100% it's nature boys will be boys always on the move, crash vam boom even when my older son bakes and he does a great job he loves beating the mixture, or sweeping the floor he uses full force sometimes I'm wondering if they had men in mind when they made these gadgets Rolling Eyes
And girls will be girls, mirrors, dress up etc bossy and gentle B'H for that Smile .

Yael

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:33 pm
you can look at the twin thread I just put in here, on the same topic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics