Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Bais Yaakov Dr'Rav Meir high school info please
1  2  Next

Cdlf

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:30 am
Anybody here have a child or is a graduate from there? Can you tell me about it? Parent body type? Compared to Machon? Level of frumness or wealth there. Is it for Boro park irls or more for flatbush? Any details to help my friend decide to send or not to send. pm or on here please. thanx.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 4:08 pm
I teach there- it is very academic, there is personal attention , but high expectations- very difficult to get accepted. Hashkafa is frum Flatbush , with a strong emphasis on middos. If the girl isn't VERY bright, she should try a different school.
anon bec. dont want ppl irl to know my sn

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:11 pm
there is a high emphasis on memorization. There is a very rich element that goes to the school and who only stick to their own. But I suppose each grade is different. Either the girls loved it or hated it. Seemed like their was no imbetween. I am an alumnus.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:39 pm
BYDM stresses personal growth and spiritual growth versus Machon that stresses kedushas bas yisrael.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
BYDM stresses personal growth and spiritual growth versus Machon that stresses kedushas bas yisrael.

posting anon for fear of looking like a total idiot-

but am I the only one who is like

HUH???

and I grew up "right wing flatbush" although I didnt go to either of those schools. But what on earth.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:22 pm
anyone who went to either bydm or machon knows exactly what I'm talking about.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:

That's nice, but it sounds like OP did not go to either, and is looking for info on both. So not so useful.

Here's my two cents: BYDM is a very difficult school, academically. The girls really slave away. Not really necessary, imo- I went to prospect, they teach a LOT there too but somehow we weren't sweating the way the BYDM girls were.

Machon is not as academically oriented. Also, don't take this the wrong way, but I can usually identify a Machon girl by how well-groomed she is!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

That's nice, but it sounds like OP did not go to either, and is looking for info on both. So not so useful.

Here's my two cents: BYDM is a very difficult school, academically. The girls really slave away. Not really necessary, imo- I went to prospect, they teach a LOT there too but somehow we weren't sweating the way the BYDM girls were.

Machon is not as academically oriented. Also, don't take this the wrong way, but I can usually identify a Machon girl by how well-groomed she is!

This is my take- memorization is stressed (although that is like that in all BY schools but even more so here). You have an extra subject- b'kius, which is on chumash which you have to do completely on your own. So if you are good at spit back, then you are good. The ability to inference is not taught nor is anyone tested in that way, either. Though, find me a school that actually teaches you how to connect y to z.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
I teach there- it is very academic, there is personal attention , but high expectations- very difficult to get accepted. Hashkafa is frum Flatbush , with a strong emphasis on middos. If the girl isn't VERY bright, she should try a different school.

uh....huh??? No offense, but I honestly think if I did a study comparing the IQ's of BYDM girls to, say BL/PPY girls, we would find that to be not the truth.
What do they judge "brightness" on over there? who can memorize more rashis? I had to memorize just as much at Prospect, was accepted to BJJ, and I think I have done alot more, academically speaking, with my education, than most Drav meir Girls. So I think that is a very strong statement to make to the OP, who is inquiring about the school and knows nothing about it. dont make it sound like its some "elite" school that makes you take an entrance exam and only accepts the best and brightest. Difficult to get accepted perhaps if someone can pay partial tuition. Not so difficult if the parents are paying full tuition. lets call a spade a spade.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 8:18 am
I too have never heard of one having to be a genius to be in D'rav Meir.
Like the previous poster, I was under the impression that as far as academics,
Prospect was the superior place.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
I too have never heard of one having to be a genius to be in D'rav Meir.
Like the previous poster, I was under the impression that as far as academics,
Prospect was the superior place.

I am the previous poster.
I am a prospect girl so maybe I am biased.
I just think that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Sure, you cant "generalize" and say this "school" is smarter than this "school," but BYD'Rav Meir? give me a break. Overall, the parent body at that school, tends to be more right wing than the parent body at prospect. More Rabbanish, less college-educated. Since when does that equate with more intelligent? I am not saying prospect kids- being the daughters of professionals in more cases than you would find at BY D R' Meir are smarter by default either, but I do think, that they (we?) were more serious about our studies, because we generally went on to college, and cared about our grades alot. When it is a given that post HS education will only consist of a year in israel, and when most schools in Israel dont really care that much about your grades (care less than college that is), I dont think academics are really stressed. Maybe rote memorization. I am not a teacher and dont have a masters in education, but last I checked, memorization is a skill, it doesnt mean you are more "academic."
A higher percentage of girls from my class were accepted at BJJ, than the percent at BY Drav Meir, and that is (I think) considered still, the "harvard" of seminaries.

morahmommy

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:59 am
I went to BYDM some years ago. Hashkafically, I believe that a lot of the teachers are from Lakewood and those hashkafos are really pushed. I don't know about more or less academic than prospect, but it's definitely comparable.- we worked very HARD, but over ten years later, I still remember and apply much of what I learned in daily life. If you're looking for more of the bp type, I don't necessarily think that bydm is what you're looking for. However, I do have to say that I found it to be a very warm school (don't know if that's changed since then), which I do not find in a lot of other brooklyn schools. The teachers really try to be available for the girls during and after hs.

Tweedledee

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 10:05 am
I'm a graduate. GREAT hanhala (mrs. hertzka is wonderful) and teachers, wonderful, mostly flatbush student body, great productions and shabbatons that the girls get very into, but very high pressure academics and tons of homework. it is a good school but for kids who struggle with acedemics like I did it can be brutal. they also pushed the lakewood kollel life very hard and long for our senior year and coming from a family that could not support, I resented that a bit.

about prspect being college girls and not d'rav meir, on the contrary. I can only speak for own class but this was a class where half the kids would sit in and work during free periods and recess. these were girls who were often expected to at least partially, if not fully support learning husbands and so many were expected to go to college and become professionals to do so. many of our senior courses were given for college credit. the limudai kodesh curriculum was strong to the point that I wonder if it was overkill. so many many subjects learned in incredible detail, and rigorous testing. many of my classmates thrived on it. I never mastered the art of memorization though and for many subjects I struggled very much to keep up.

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 3:16 am
[quote]The ability to inference is not taught nor is anyone tested in that way, either. Though, find me a school that actually teaches you how to connect y to z. [/quote]

I tried to do that a limudei chol teacher in our city's BY. We would have teacher mtg's to discuss and draft impressive standards, but the most girls knew that academics weren't a priority with the menachel. I wasn't interested in giving busy work or being a babysitter so I'm no longer there. I couldn't figure out how to reconcile the mixed message. Shaking My dd adamantly refuse to go there.

Many of girls that come out of the school are nice girls but the gashmius is very heavy.

cbk20

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 5:50 pm
I have been living in flatbush, across the street of the school, the ppl I was staying by send there 15 yr old daughter there.... I have never in all my living yrs seen a school have better behaved students... I meet them in the shop, they have the highest respect, to the shop keeper they r not loud etc... all these middos get taught at this place.... the daughter talks torahs by the shabbos table, my jaw falls 10 feet south to listen to her talk like that... they have a high standed of education and I would say close down every school and let bydm rule....

amother

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 9:54 pm
I think that BYDM is more academic than Machon. Can't contribute much else in the comparison.

[BTW, I went to PPY and have friends who went to BYDM. I really do not think that the BYDM girls seemed to be working any harder than PPY. I think that they are pretty much on par with each other (or PPY might be slightly more challenging).]

Nechama

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:35 pm
I am an alumnus and I am looking for schoolmates from the 1981 8th grade class. I was Nechama (Chumi) Israel in those days. Anyone out there in class with me and Devorie Bloch a"h and Rivkah Rubin?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:

I went to machon and had lots of friends in drav meir, and I haven't the slightest clue as to what you mean.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:36 pm
K, dumb question (sorry, I am not from Brooklyn) but I think I did once read something about this - who is the Rav Meir after whom the school is named?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:58 pm
Rabbi Meir Levi, ztl, who founded the school & is the father of the current principal, Rabbi Michael Levi.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children