Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Chanukkah Tips- Do we need to give more?

MadameX

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:51 am
My DS's school sends a letter home every year with a set number each boy should give. That sum is collected by the school and then given to the teachers. The teachers get a letter stating who they received from. The amount is very reasonable and affordable.
My question is, are DH and I expected to give more than what the school has asked? The amount they asked, in my eyes, is very small to be divided among all the teachers he has. If the letter was not sent home we would have probably given more. But is this expected? DH would not want to pay extra if it is not expected.
For some background- we live in Brooklyn where tips are very much expected. This letter, however, is throwing me off whether that was considered our tip or do we need to give more on top of that. What do you think?
TIA

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:55 am
I organize this effort at my kids' school. The amount we ask for is $20/family. We don't want to discourage the families who have little money to spare. Some families give nothing, some give the $20 and some give more. The school supplements the raised amount every year, too.

If you can give more, please go ahead and do so, as long as you know the extra money still goes to the teachers and not just back to the school (which may be ok with you too)

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:56 am
That was your tip. Don't think further into it. Unless you want to give a particular teacher more.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 10:22 am
More is always welcome, but you're only expected to give the amount requested. Its not like the $20 is being split 5 ways, and each teacher gets $4. All 20 kids in the class give (and the PTA supplements if someone doesn't), so each teacher gets $80.

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 11:16 am
SixOfWands wrote:
More is always welcome, but you're only expected to give the amount requested. Its not like the $20 is being split 5 ways, and each teacher gets $4. All 20 kids in the class give (and the PTA supplements if someone doesn't), so each teacher gets $80.

As a class mother I just want to mention that this is not accurate (in our school) the PTA does not supplement for whatever is missing.
I was a little embarrassed when I handed the teacher their class gift of forty dollars since not everyone contributed.

I usually like to give an additional tip or gift card (18-25$).

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 11:32 am
On Chanukah I tip the asked amount from school which the class mother collects.

If I want to give the teacher more, I wait until Purim time when we are personally delivering Shalach Manis and it's erev pesach, so the money is very appreciated at that time.

MadameX

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:19 pm
thank you everyone for your input

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:37 pm
cnc wrote:
As a class mother I just want to mention that this is not accurate (in our school) the PTA does not supplement for whatever is missing.
I was a little embarrassed when I handed the teacher their class gift of forty dollars since not everyone contributed.

I usually like to give an additional tip or gift card (18-25$).

Lots of schools do this, actually. There is a set amount that every staff member gets, from principal to janitor and everyone between. Heh all get the same. And PTA asks parents to subsidize. All names are on the card, even those who didnt give. No one is embarassed. Its amazing and ahavas yisroel. No favorites. No need to pay off and bribe a rebbe.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
Lots of schools do this, actually. There is a set amount that every staff member gets, from principal to janitor and everyone between. Heh all get the same. And PTA asks parents to subsidize. All names are on the card, even those who didnt give. No one is embarassed. Its amazing and ahavas yisroel. No favorites. No need to pay off and bribe a rebbe.

Our schools do that. I thought that all did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette