Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to mark cast iron pans- meat/milk

baschabad

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:22 pm
I just bought a cast iron pan to use for milchigs, identical to the one I currently use for fleishigs.
Anyone have any ideas how to differentiate between them? I'm skeptical about using nail polish or paint, unless it's specifically for this purpose.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:25 pm
you won't like my answer but I would get 2 different styles ideally.

If there is a hole in the handle there are milk/meat key rings you can get.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:38 pm
baschabad wrote:
I just bought a cast iron pan to use for milchigs, identical to the one I currently use for fleishigs.
Anyone have any ideas how to differentiate between them? I'm skeptical about using nail polish or paint, unless it's specifically for this purpose.

You can buy a small tin of stove paint. Most places like Lowes or HD carry it for BBQs and wood burning stoves. It's specifically made to withstand high heat.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:02 pm
What about the meat/dairy stickers?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:18 pm
Colored duct tape around the handles?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:48 pm
A silicone sleeve on the handle should work. I have not tried this one but have used similar products in the past for pans with hot handles Comes in a rainbow of colors too:
https://www.amazon.com/Silicon.....leeve

baschabad

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:51 pm
Thank you!

Got some good ideas.
I wouldn't want something that could fall off easily, so maybe I'll try the stove paint.

I originally wanted to get a ceramic coated one for milchig so it would be very distinguishable but for $30 vs $18...!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:04 pm
Slightly off topic but - where did you find cast iron pans that are not pre-seasoned? Or did you kasher it when you got it?

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
Slightly off topic but - where did you find cast iron pans that are not pre-seasoned? Or did you kasher it when you got it?

I buy from Lodge, here's what they say on their site "Lodge uses a soy-based vegetable oil to season our cookware. The oil is highly refined, and all proteins that cause soy-related allergies are eliminated. The oil contains no animal fat, peanut oil, or paints."

ariellabella

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 7:49 pm
I was also looking at those Lodge pans, but I heard that they used to use kosher-certified oils but no longer do. A quick google search led me to these pages, which leaves me thinking I would have to kasher a new Lodge pan. I guess I should just ask my LOR.

http://www.crcweb.org/Sappirim.....22%20(Jan%202012).pdf

http://the-cookingpot.com/buy-.....llet/

ariellabella

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 8:04 pm
Oh and to answer the OP, maybe something like this would work: http://www.target.com/p/lodge-.....aw.ds

And you could scratch a little something into the side as a backup in case the handle is removed.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 8:36 pm
My husband holds that all preseason cast iron needs kashering. Ask your Rabbi. The season can also be a chatzitza for toiveled.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:48 pm
The COR came out with s recent yeshiva that says we don't have to remove pre seasoning! I'll see if I can find a link.

baschabad

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 12:21 am
I asked my rav about this and I was told to put it in the oven for a cleaning cycle to burn off the seasoning and then reseason it.
I was in touch with lodge about this a while back. Let me see if I can find their response.

baschabad

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 12:25 am
From Lodge:
2. Do you have a self-clean oven? If so you can place the cookware into a cycle. If a self clean oven is not available place the cookware into your highest setting oven for two hours. Let cool, then scour the cookware with a steel wool pad or SOS pad in hot soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Then re-season immediately.

Seasoning Process ( suggested to repeat 2-3 more times for better seasoning results)

Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any dripping, and set temperature to 350 – 400 degrees F.

Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven.

Bake the cookware for at least one hour. After the hour, turn the oven off and let the cookware cool in the oven.

Repeat the process as needed to achieve the classic black patina.

Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.

baschabad

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 12:28 am
Note that I asked the rav specifically about preparing a new one for Pesach.

Also, he did say to toivel after kashering.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:36 am
If I have something that either has a hole at the end of the handle or the handle gets wider at the end, I wrap some colored wire around it to mark it. You can usually find scraps of wire left over after someone has had work on a telephone line or intercom, cut open the outer layer and there will probably be both red and blue wires in there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen