Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Whats the cheapest grocery in Boro Park?
1  2  Next

Which store is the cheapest?
Rosners  
 26%  [ 20 ]
KRM  
 38%  [ 29 ]
Appetizing Plus  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Bingo  
 29%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 75

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 12:47 pm
I've heard the above stores are considered cheap. I'm looking to save money on my grocery bill but since I don't have time to shop in a few stores, overall which store would my bill come out cheapest? (if there are any cheaper stores then those in the poll, feel free to post them) Thanks!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 12:51 pm
I think overall Rosner's would come out the cheapest. I've saved $40-$60 per shabbos order every week just by shopping there instead of other groceries which are supposed to be cheap too.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:08 pm
if you dont have time to go to 3 different stores every week, how about going to 1 store a week. for example if krm has the best sales this week go there and stock up, and if next week rosners has the best sales go there.

moishas is not on the list.

if u want to see a list of weekly specials from each store you can go to watsonsale.com

rsmey

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:37 pm
Rosners doesn't have a meat dept. They are cheaper than KRM in some items but if you factor in the chicken /meat sale prices at KRM you're better off there, imo.

kerem

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:52 pm
Also, Rosner's does not have all groceries and not all fruits/vegetables, so you may find yourself needing to make another grocery order elsewhere. Sometimes they are out f basics like eggs or flour.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 2:52 pm
Depends what for.
I would say KRM and Appetizing but truthfully KRM is an everything supermarket and Appetizing is a grocery.

I find it depends what I need sometimes Bingo works out cheaper for me sometimes KRm.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:02 pm
If you're looking for basics and happily buy whatever is on sale then Rosner is definitely the cheapest.
Note that they are a cash or check only store and only deliver within the immediate area (though there are stores in 3 different areas of BP / Kensington).

If you like more variety and want to buy all poultry and fish in the same place too, KRM is the place.

Bingo will depend on what's on sale at that moment and since they are not in the circulars AFAIK, it's not like you can check ahead of time if they or KRM have items on sale that work for you that week (most store sales available online Tuesday evenings for new weekly specials). Another thing to keep in mind is that I noticed their store is set up in such a way that encourages binge shopping for unplanned items. Smile

Smile.

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 5:34 pm
Ive compared rosners and KRM. I find rosners cheaper

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 5:57 pm
Fascinating thread. Ramon, what would you suggest for someone coming to stock up on meat, fish cheese from oot

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:16 pm
Meat, KRM.
Fish might depend on sales. What sort of fish?
Check watsonsale.com ahead of time for to see what's on sale. Sales run from Wednesday through Tuesday. New sales come up on the website Tuesday evenings (usually sometime after 8pm).

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Meat, KRM.
Fish might depend on sales. What sort of fish?
Check watsonsale.com ahead of time for to see what's on sale. Sales run from Wednesday through Tuesday. New sales come up on the website Tuesday evenings (usually sometime after 8pm).
I usually do krm. Lately it's more gefilte fish loaves, tilapia, fish sticks as my family grows and I move away from meat.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:38 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I usually do krm. Lately it's more gefilte fish loaves, tilapia, fish sticks as my family grows and I move away from meat.

KRM has great prices on those, but check out the various store advertisements that week. Often you can find various brands on sale and get even better prices.
If Rosner happens to have those on sale (they don't advertise) you'll do very well there as their sale prices are very low.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:42 pm
If I wanted to stock up on meat, fish, and cheese all in one place I'd probably go with Moisha's. They have a nice selection of all those things, reasonable prices, and generally well stocked.

KRM and Moisha's are the same management and have a lot in common. Besides for sales (where there is a lot of overlap but some differences) their prices are similar. The sales and selection cater a little more to each neighborhood (KRM - Boro Park, more traditional; Moisha's - Flatbush, more diverse) but I've noticed KRM catching up (like you used to find things like organic quinoa in Moisha's and not KRM, now there's more of that type of thing in KRM too)

I usually look up all the sales on watsonsale.com before heading into Brooklyn to decide where to go. Believe it or not a week or so ago I went to Gourmet Glatt, which I'd never paid attention to before, because they had really good sales on literally everything I needed, and it was great!

If you live in Brooklyn you might prefer to stock up with a big KRM/Moisha's type of trip for meat etc once a month, and then replenish your perishables at Rosner's weekly.

greengrapes

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 8:24 pm
Right now bingo is definitely the cheapest. I usually shop by appetizing. They have second best. I dont like rosners because the stores are 2 small for me. I get claustrophobic

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 8:38 pm
Appetizing and Rosners don't have produce. Produce is a biggie for me. Krm is well priced and has good specials. Bingo is good to shop like once a month.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:33 pm
I don't know about Appetizing but Rosners sure does have produce (by produce I'm assuming you mean fruits and vegetables). That's usually what I shop there for! I think their produce is cheaper than anyone else's. I don't like doing big orders there though because they don't take credit cards and I don't have large amounts of cash on me.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:17 am
It also depends on quality.
For example if I want produce taht will last more than 3 days, 3 guys from Brooklyn is the only place to go. KRM and even Bingo, their produce is often bad already in the store.

Meat and fish I only buy from Gourmet because they have the best prices for the best quality. Their prices are pretty much the same as KRM especially when they have sales and it is so much better and cleaner (chickens etc) than krm selection.

@greengrapes Bingo is most definitely NOT the cheapest. I went there. I compared prices. The only thing it is cheaper for is yoghurts and cheeses. Pretty much everything else is comparable to KRM with the downside that they dont have all brands.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 1:08 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
It also depends on quality.
For example if I want produce taht will last more than 3 days, 3 guys from Brooklyn is the only place to go. KRM and even Bingo, their produce is often bad already in the store.

Meat and fish I only buy from Gourmet because they have the best prices for the best quality. Their prices are pretty much the same as KRM especially when they have sales and it is so much better and cleaner (chickens etc) than krm selection.

@greengrapes Bingo is most definitely NOT the cheapest. I went there. I compared prices. The only thing it is cheaper for is yoghurts and cheeses. Pretty much everything else is comparable to KRM with the downside that they dont have all brands.

Wow, what different perspectives! I wonder if it has to do with what type of produce and meat/poultry each person buys.
In my experience, KRM has better produce on items that need to be firm like carrots, potatoes, onions, apples, pears. The ones at Gourmet have been sitting too long and are no longer as firm and will not last that long in your fridge. I agree that Bingo doesn't have good produce or the best prices overall. Gourmet Glatt has better fruits that need to ripen and sweeten before eating like peaches, plums, pineapple, but they don't last long in the fridge.
I find meat and poultry to be soo much fresher at KRM and the prices so much cheaper too. This might be because I buy what's on sale and Gourmet Glatt usually only has imported meat on cheap sales and the quality they offer on those is terrible. As far as cleanliness, the meat at KRM is awesome but they do not clean off as much extra fat from chicken as Gourmet does. But KRM poultry is so much fresher that I still prefer buying it there. I've received stinky chicken from Gourmet, Breadberry, Landau's, but not from KRM. The stuff flies off the shelf in the meat department and they replenish so many times throughout the day that I always end up with fresh items.

lifesagift

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:33 pm
Rosners has beautiful n cheap produce, some fish including frozen tilapia, gefilta, fish sticks n fresh salmon (atleast most of the time)
Con: u cant call in an order u need to go down urself, they don't accept credit cards, and the place is quite small n crowded, tho if u go before noon its really not crowded in my experience
KRM is larger, easier to navigate, n u can call in ur order (a big 1 for me..)
They have everything u need at a great price
Bingo is a big fun place to stroll around when ur bored, has lots of unexpected stuff (tho admittedly quite good ones; I've fallen for many of their impulse buys n have no regrets;)
They're sort of the Jewish Walmart, just none of the big ticket stuff like clothes, lg appliances/electronics, furniture etc
Hope that helps

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 11:44 pm
Bingo is my latest go to store. Great
At selection and prices on produce paper goods fish and bakery. But nuts and nosh are expensive. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes today!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics