Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
"Is it real?"
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:11 pm
Occasionally I get asked if a peice of jewelry is real. I find it rude to ask but usually its a child who doesn't know better Or a close family member so I feel obliged to answer.

Often my jewelry is costume jewelry that matches my clothing. Sometimes I have gorgeous pieces I wear on shabbos that would be a fortune if real but they aren't.

How do I respond?
It embarrasses me to say they aren't real. But I don't see how else to respond.
I also feel uncomfortable giving the impression they are real when I can't afford the real version and it makes me look financially irresponsible to have such expensive jewelry.

Seas

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:24 pm
I often avoid or ignore a question I don't wish to answer (sometimes by changing the subject). Many times this is enough, as the other person gets distracted, but if they do persist, I say something like, "If o didn't answer the first time/two times, why do you think I'll answer now?"

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:35 pm
Possible answers:
No, it's imaginary.
Why do you ask?
Yes, I sold a kidney to buy it. Good deal, eh?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:44 pm
"Thank you. It is gorgeous." (Making the assumption that they're admiring it.) or "Its one of my favorite pieces."

"Why do you ask?"

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:48 pm
"Oh thank you, it was a gift. I love it... Now, about what we were talking about..."

Ie- deflect and redirect. They will get the hint or are too socially oblivious to not get it and will hopefully learn or at least take the cue.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:50 pm
I live sixofwands' suggestion, "why do you ask?"

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:16 am
I HATE when people ask! I have real jewelry and I also have one bracelet that is fake but looks very very real. I don't lie because it feels weird to lie about it, but I get really annoyed when people ask Mad just admire my things from far. Why do you need to know how much it's worth?

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:05 am
"what do you think?"

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:08 am
what's wrong with saying yes?
OF course it's real. It's not a real bracelet?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:10 am
Yes it is a real bracelet glad you noticed.

Someone once took a look a my swarovski bracelet and said wouldnt you be happier if that was real diamonds and I said no because then it wouldn't be swarovski. If I could afford real diamonds I would buy those too.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:28 am
I hate when people ask when it is actually real also.
I have a very gorgeous diamond necklace that is real. It doesn't really fit in my lifestyle and image but I don't want to have to explain it.
I hate having to tell people its real - I'd rather they think its fake - and I feel stupid saying yes.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:31 am
zaq wrote:
"what do you think?"

These responses work very well for acquaintances. The thing is when it's your sister or a good friend it feels weird white lying like that.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
These responses work very well for acquaintances. The thing is when it's your sister or a good friend it feels weird white lying like that.

It's not a lie, white or otherwise. It's called "answering a question with a question," something Jews are purported to do routinely.

Andy: Why do Jews always answer a question with a question?
Sandy: Why not?
Randy: Do we?
Mandy: Why do you think?
Candy: Who knows?

Although FTR I don't see why you wouldn't tell your sister or close friend the truth either way. It's the rubbernecking sightseers who have no business asking whom you need to put off.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:12 am
I also HATE that question. I always say 'as real as you are' and then quickly move on so they dont have time to ask a follow up question

vet techy

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:50 am
My aunt used to get this question a lot. She had huge diamonds some where real some not.
Whenever someone would ask her if it is real she would always answer "would I wear anything else?" and change the topic.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:56 am
Wow . I have the opposite experience. When complimented on jewelry, I straight out say it's not real. And usually they tell me off that I don't have to tell anyone it's not real.

But if it's a child, I'd brush off the question. Kids don't always know the right things to say or not say. That doesn't mean you have to answer them.

myym

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 12:12 pm
I was just about to say what simple1 said. Exactly like she does, whenever I get a compliment on something fake I always say it's fake. I supoose it's not polite for ppl to ask, but I dont thing you need to identify so much with your jewelry. The piece is obviously nice, even if it cost $15. Why to be embarrassed? I am proud to spend wisely and pay $15 for something that looks like $800

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 12:27 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Wow . I have the opposite experience. When complimented on jewelry, I straight out say it's not real. And usually they tell me off that I don't have to tell anyone it's not real.

But if it's a child, I'd brush off the question. Kids don't always know the right things to say or not say. That doesn't mean you have to answer them.

If it's a child, I'd use the opportunity as a teaching moment about what is and isn't considered polite.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 12:30 pm
By the way I know people with real jewelry pretending it's fake because they don't want an ayin hora.
It's such an inappropriate question; I would absolutely change the subject and school anyone who persisted on manners.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:16 pm
"its as real as the emperors new clothes!"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette