Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Son just came home with a parsha question.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:58 pm
Rebbe said boys who come back sunday with a good answer get a treat. 5th grade class. The posuk says that yosef sold food to the people for one fifth of their land and this arrangement goes "ad hoyem hazeh". Until this day. How do we explain that? Certainly people in egypt don't still live by these terms.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:11 pm
I'm pretty sure the kids are supposed to try and come up with the answer htemselves...

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
I'm pretty sure the kids are supposed to try and come up with the answer htemselves...

That may be so but I'm equally sure that a good portion of the kids are going to come back with an answer their father told them.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:15 am
Ad hayom hazeh, when Moshe Rabbenu wrote down Chumash. What's the question?

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:31 am
Why not get out a Chumash and read the meferoshim on the posuk? Isn't that what this type of question is really about?

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
Why not get out a Chumash and read the meferoshim on the posuk? Isn't that what this type of question is really about?

I humbly accepted your challenge, located the relevant pasuk in my mikra'os gedolos chumash, and none of the major commentators has anything to say on this.

Next?

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:07 pm
Hint: (The Chumash I looked in attributed this answer to R. Yaakov Kaminetsky.) Think about who was exempt from giving a fifth to Paroh, and what that might imply for bnei Yisrael.

ibelongtosomebody

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:24 pm
Oh, now I'm curious! Come on, can you please post the answer?

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:38 pm
imasinger wrote:
Hint: (The Chumash I looked in attributed this answer to R. Yaakov Kaminetsky.) Think about who was exempt from giving a fifth to Paroh, and what that might imply for bnei Yisrael.

Ah, so are you saying that only one portion of the law is "ad hayom hazeh?"

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:03 pm
imasinger wrote:

sorry, I don't see what you mean. The Kohanim were exempt from paying the 1/5. Do you mean that this is true till today? I'm not understanding.

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:55 pm
It looks like some mefarshim see a hint to the exemptions given to a kohein or Levi in the exemptions given to the priests of Mitzrayim.

If that's what his rebbe is talking about, do I get a treat (after the fast)?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children