Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Here is a great, delicious, easy gluten-free challah recipe

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:27 pm
I saw someone started another thread asking for a gluten-free challah recipe. I don't want to post this recipe there, because anonymous posting is disabled in that forum. I make this every single week and tell people about it, I don't want to give myself away.

But it's a great recipe. I don't serve any other challah and this gets eaten happily by everyone.

Since it's mostly oat flour, it's hamotzi. You have to eat a bit more to make up for the fact that some is rice flour.

So I'm posting here in the hopes that it will help others. Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/glu.....46999

Note:

You do not need to use a bread machine, just mix it all up in a bowl, cover and let it rise a bit in a warm spot.

You can freeze raw dough in pans so you don't need to make it that often. Just take out frozen pans, thaw a bit, and pop in the oven.

Use muffin-size tins or small loaf pans.

You can mix in extra oat flour for a different texture and if you are willing to work at it, with extra oat flour you may even be able to braid your challah.

I never used agave, only honey. (I use the same amount of honey as oil.)

I usually bake a bit more than 20 minutes.

I've messed this recipe up in a million ways different times, and it always seems to turn out okay--it's not a picky recipe.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:31 pm
Thanks, mystery challah lady! Wink

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:33 pm
I can't seem to find the thread that I am responding to, so if someone knows what I'm talking about, can you post there? I would PM the poster who started that thread but I can't find it.

FF Wink

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:33 pm
I just got some benign diagnosis not related to gluten. And another diagnosis that its better I eat no carbs at all and lechovod shabbes gluten fee. I thought I need shehakol bread. Im quite uninformed and confused. So I see I can have this. Great!

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:53 pm
Thank you purple amother

Quick question: Excuse my ignorance
Is the xanthan gun a must?
Any substitute?

asweet

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:54 pm
when you bake gluten free you must use a gum to hold the ingredients together and there is not gluten (glue) in the flour

you can use xantham gum - most popular or guar gum

please note that not everyone is allowed oat flour when on the gluten free diet... eventhough its gluten free oats...

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:28 pm
Thanks for explaining. I'll have to ask the doctor if I can have the challah from gluten free oats .

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:28 pm
asweet wrote:
when you bake gluten free you must use a gum to hold the ingredients together and there is not gluten (glue) in the flour

you can use xantham gum - most popular or guar gum

please note that not everyone is allowed oat flour when on the gluten free diet... eventhough its gluten free oats...

Thanks for explanation.
My little research on xantham gum wasn't great but I see it in so much processed stuff. Part of why I want to make my own food is avoid all the processed stuff.
Im trying gluten free bc of gluten sensitivity not actual celiac so its not as strict.
Thanks for taking the time to answer and explain.
perhaps the guar gum is a healthier option.
Thank you

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:46 pm
I'm happy I could help!

Yes you do need xanthan gum. Small quantity makes a big difference for the texture.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:47 pm
I never tried guar gum but I'd be interested in hearing more... Is it in fact healthier? Does it work as well?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
I never tried guar gum but I'd be interested in hearing more... Is it in fact healthier? Does it work as well?

I'll let you know if I find and try it.
Thanks again.

cbg

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
I just got some benign diagnosis not related to gluten. And another diagnosis that its better I eat no carbs at all and lechovod shabbes gluten fee. I thought I need shehakol bread. Im quite uninformed and confused. So I see I can have this. Great!

If you can have gluten, I have a low carb challah recipe, but the ingredients are expensive, so I only make it for myself.
3.75 grams net carbs for 100 gram challah, a little more than 2 kazaytot.
My Rav says it's Hamotzi, but check with your LOR.

200 grams carbalose flour
200 grams oat fiber
1.5 -2 tsp salt
2 TBSP baking soda
2 eggs
3 cups water (if it's too thick the batter you can add 1/4 cup more of water at a time)

Mix dry ingredients
Seperately mix wet ingredients well.
Mix both together.
Batter should resemble a thick brownie consitancy.

Seperate batter into 12 muffin tins, well greased.
Bake at 375 for 1/2 hour, or until brown.

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 6:47 am
My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease and for the first year the doctor said no oats. Not even gluten free oats. Do you know a challa recipe that I can make?

cheeseaddict

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:08 pm
I had no idea where to get xanthan or guar gum in Israel, so I ground chia seeds in a coffee grinder, added some water and used that to bind the oat rolls.
It came out fine, though I have nothing to compare it to...

blueboys

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:20 pm
Is there any way to make this egg free?

asweet

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 9:55 pm
here is an oat free challah recipe - please note its really hard to get the right texture to braid a challa as gf flours don't have the "glue" to keep it together even with the extra gum. depending on the recipe you might scoop it into muffin pans (or you can buy the silicone challa shaped pans and fill it with the challa batter)

challa is the one thing that is very very hard to taste good in gluten free
I've tried many many recipes - none where really great - some are better then others - none too amazing... the main ingredient in a challa is the flour and it should be fluffy and airy with no after taste and no major crumbling which is really tricky in gf as if you put too much rice flour its too gritty too much starch flour too crumbly very hard to find a good enough balance

check this website for challa recipes - and experiment!

I had tried this one
https://gfjules.com/recipes/ch.....=2458
I did this challa for a while- instead of her flour I used my own mixture which is 1 cup white rice, 1/2 c. tapioca, 1/2 c. potato starch - mix all this together you get 2 cups. (multiply as many times as needed) and then add the gum

in gluten free you must bake and experiment alot until you get what you like -

I used the Udi's dinner rolls for challa for a while as that taste's really good but not much of a challa though

good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen