Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Avg Salary for software engineer tristate area

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 10:20 am
What is the average salary for a software engineer (please don't tell me to look on salary.com because the numbers are all over the place.)

I work about 36 hours per week, salaried, with benefits, work from home with some flexibility to my hours. Tri-State area, (not in Manhattan).
I have about 15 years experience. I've been at this company for 12 years and I know that everyone is replaceable, but I am pretty valuable in that I know the full product line (its a small team) and there are some critical areas of the product that I'm the only one knowledgeable about. My yearly reviews are excellent.
Currently I make about 75K per year with about 3% raise per year, no bonuses, very good benefits.
Do you think that is inline with what you would expect. Do you think there is room to ask for a raise? The last time I got a significant raise was 5 years ago.
I"m not looking to switch jobs as I've accrued a nice amount of vacation and I like the benefit of working from home.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 10:51 am
My DH has a similar job. He works in NYC 40 hr work week. He make a bit over $100,000 plus vacation and benefits. (take home pay doesnt cover the bills) He is in the same place for over 10 years and the last few years there has been no raises, even if they moved him to a new department where he successfully self trained himself (they use him as an example in meetings).

I personally feel that he can change jobs and make way more. DH has a hard time dealing with new people. Takes him a long time to feel comfortable. I feel thats stopping him from looking for a different job.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:30 pm
I think what you are making is low depending on the size of the company. We live in North Jersey and DH and I are both software engineers. Now I am self-employed but when I was working for others I was making between 35-40K for between 15-20 hours of work a week just out of school. DH worked for a mid-size firm in NJ and his starting salary out of school as in the mid 70s. Now 14 years, and a few jobs later he is making a base of over 200K, plus a yearly bonus plus very generous benefits including full healthcare for the family for a larger company in NYC.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics