Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How long after being given would you still use a gift card?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:13 am
As a therapist, I received a gift card from a parent to the family's own store. For various reasons, I was unable to use the gift and it has now been several months and I am no longer servicing the child. Would you still use the gift card?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:14 am
Yes, why not

harriet

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:14 am
Of course!

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:22 am
Until the expiration date, if any.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:43 am
Yes! Forever.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:54 am
The $ has already been paid so why not use it?

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 11:50 am
sounds like it's a local mom-and-pop shop. just stop in, say you haven't gotten a chance to use yet, you hope the kid is doing well, and (if you can afford to) spend a bit more than the card itself even like $5 over is a nice gesture of not taking advantage (at least that's what I do in this kind of situation)

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:03 pm
Yes, it is a local mom and pop shop. They would be the one's servicing me, so to basically remind them that I didn't use their gift for so many months. It just feels awkward to me, especially since I don't know how successful the business is... But, on the other hand, why should I let it get wasted.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, it is a local mom and pop shop. They would be the one's servicing me, so to basically remind them that I didn't use their gift for so many months. It just feels awkward to me, especially since I don't know how successful the business is... But, on the other hand, why should I let it get wasted.

Sorry I missed that part. I still think that if they gave it to you then they want You to use it.

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:10 pm
on the other hand, they know you haven't yet used it. so just come in, chat a bit, use it in one shot and go a bit over the card limit. also don't be a nudge - plan beforehand what you will buy from them

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 4:25 am
The point if a gift card is to enable the recipient to use it fir what they want at their own convenience.
It wasn't convenient or you didn't need something from there until now.
I say use it.
They gave it to you to use it.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:14 am
Thanks everyone Smile

I guess the jury says to use it.

redheaded

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:33 am
I'm in same situation, however the gift giver left the business!

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:46 am
Use it! Totally fine.

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:11 pm
As long as the store will still honor it--go for it!

I worked at a school that gave out a gift certificate as a seasonal gift to a Judaica store. At the time I was single and not conveniently located to that store (only location) and didn't really need anything. I saved it for "one day" I would need to buy a talis bag for my chosson. Which I did--but that was like 6 years later. They accepted the gift certificates no problem ( I did call them when I made this plan and they said that they don't expire).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children