Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to stop rectal temps?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:45 pm
gold21 wrote:
I'm sorry that your mother is abusive, and I'm sorry that you're friend is, like you say, "so obsessed" with helping her constipated babies.

But you owe us all an explanation as to why you started this thread in the first place. Your posts are all over the place and, may I use the word, abusive- you are verbally abusing fellow anothers with your comments.

Do I use rectal thermometers? No, I don't use rectal thermometers. I think under the arm is definitely the way to go.

Do I think that the reason you started this thread is out of true genuine curiosity and concern as to whether it is OK to take a rectal temp on, to quote you, "olderish kids"? No. No I do not.

All because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean I'm verbally abusing members. I owe no one an explanation however the reason I started this thread was because I genuinely want to be the best mother I can to my children and not abuse them.

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
All because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean I'm verbally abusing members. I owe no one an explanation however the reason I started this thread was because I genuinely want to be the best mother I can to my children and not abuse them.

Look, it's pretty clear that you have strong feeling on this issue. You're not wishy washy on the topic of rectal thermometers. You have a fully developed opinion. So why this thread? What's your question really?

Maybe My Family

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
FYI, I think the thermometer and qtip for pooping is a terrible thing to do. My mother who's abusive always suggests this if she hears someone's child can't poop. There's many ways to help a constipated child besides that.
I also have a friend who did this to all her children non stop like she was so obsessed with it. Maybe she still does this now that they're a bit grown who even knows.

So you seem to know better than the pediatricians...... I know two well known pediatricians in Brooklyn who have recommended this for relieving constipation when all else fails ..... Oh thanks for bringing this to my attentions they must be abusive and shouldn't be in practice.... However in all seriousness I am sorry that your mom is abusive and I think that is coloring your opinion on this matter

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 8:13 pm
By the way, although I personally do not use rectal thermometers, I believe they are a good and appropriate choice for children aged 0-2 years, and the best possible choice for babies aged 0-3 months. I just don't like them, so I manage without.

I use Tylenol suppositories until age 5 or so, when it is needed- when a child refuses oral medication or is too nauseous to keep it down. Love me some Tylenol suppositories! Best invention!! Guys, stock up on this stuff, it's the best thing when little ones are feverish and too nauseous to keep down their meds.

Coffee Addict

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 8:42 pm
Gold21 ,I agree with you. Op is the one off here,...

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
Please moms beware.
My mom gave me my first O without knowing about it. Without me knowing what it was (aside from that it felt good..) at age 8 by forcing me to take a suppositry when I was sick.
For years I thought I discovered a secret unk¦own to mankind and used to immitate this experience in order to get that "exhilarating feeling" again. Full blown orgasms without me having a clue.
It took me another six years - at age 14 I discovered that I am not the only one who knows but that its something all of humankind (should) enjoy
There are still repercussions today...

What I want to say: thinkl of the long-term something seemingly medical could havde on your child. Thermoeter used to have the same effect on me.

My mother had no clue. 30 years later I told her about it, I think I may have caused her to die a little inside Sad

Your mom, in her concern for you when you were sick, gave you a Tylenol suppository, and in the split second it takes to stick a suppository in, you had a s-xual experience?

(Honestly, I would not give an 8 year old a suppository, barring an emergency situation chas vesholom, but I do find your experience to be quite unusual.)

I wonder, maybe she did not know how to insert a suppository properly. Proper insertion of a suppository at an appropriate age will not create issues.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 5:25 am
I still can't believe it is abuse or s-xual to some LOL Only on Imamother!

Liba

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 1:37 pm
http://www.aappublications.org...../29.2

The American Academy of Pediatrics considers rectal temperature taking up to age 5 acceptable and appropriate. Over that they do not.

According to the Journal of Paedric Child Health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....9918/

"Rectal thermometry

Rectal thermometry has traditionally been considered the gold standard for temperature measurement (13,14), but many recent studies have revealed some of its limitations (15–18). Rectal temperatures are slow to change in relation to changing core temperature, and they have been shown to stay elevated well after the patient’s core temperature has begun to fall, and vice versa. Rectal readings are affected by the depth of a measurement, conditions affecting local blood flow and the presence of stool. Rectal perforation has been described (19,20), and without proper sterilization techniques, rectal thermometry has the capacity to spread contaminants that are commonly found in stool.

Most parents are uncomfortable with this method of temperature assessment, and the majority of children resent it."

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:35 am
Most parents do it, if not all, in my world. Most kids may prefer it to having the thermometer in the mouth and not breathing because the nose is blocked. Once again I am so puzzled at how some cultures make issues of everything. As for suppositories, yes of course adults use them. It's so useful, quick to act, and the best when you throw up. It's also great for those who can't swallow pills - not really an issue in my world, again, because we learn - but apparently Americans keep this issue...
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics