Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Is instagram safe for DS

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:48 pm
My 12 ton DS wants instagram to communicate with a few of his friends. I don't use this so I don't know much about it. The little bit I read seems like it would be safe as long as he is set to "private" and only chats with his friends. Please enlighten me?

cnc

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:51 pm
There is access to lots of inappropriate pictures. He can see anyone that's not set to private.
It is not a chatting app- so I'm not sure what you mean by chatting with his friends. It is used primarily to post and view others' photos.

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:53 pm
Instagram isnt for communication. Its for sharing photos, memes etc. You follow who you want and anyone else can follow you. So you dont really know what kind of pics will come up.

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:54 pm
Whatsapp is for communication.

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:58 pm
why can't he use whatsapp?

imamom7

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:58 pm
On instagram there's a search button if you type in any inappropriate adjectives- tons of inappropriate pictures will come up- I was horrified when I joined and saw that my high school age cousin liked all these near nude pictures- I would not let! Even if he's not looking for trouble- it's too easy

cnc

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:01 pm
imamom7 wrote:
On instagram there's a search button if you type in any inappropriate adjectives- tons of inappropriate pictures will come up- I was horrified when I joined and saw that my high school age cousin liked all these near nude pictures- I would not let! Even if he's not looking for trouble- it's too easy

I've never typed in any inappropriate search words yet when I go to the search engine to look for a name there are random pictures there. Some of them totally inappropriate.

asmileaday

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:46 pm
Safe as in seeing inappropriate stuff? Absolutely not. Although officially you are not allowed to post completely nude photos they may slide under the radar (and really, who's monitoring it?). And instagram is full of near nude photos (just a little sticker strategically placed, etc...).
If he's on private that protects his images from being viewed by the world. But that doesn't protect him from seeing whoever is public.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:54 pm
Got it. Not getting instagram!! I'll be the mean mommy.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:53 pm
People certainly use it for communication. There is direct messaging for chatting and sending pictures.
In terms of it being safe, if his account is set to private and his instagram name is unrelated to his real name, then he should be okay (FYI anyone who has his phone number can see which account his phone number is connected to). Good rules are that he may not have a profile picture and he may not accept people if he doesn't know who they are.

In terms of what he can see, it's safe to say he can see literally anything. Nudity is basically allowed if there is a tiny picture of a flower or a smiley covering the very tip of the private part.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:36 pm
Omg I've accidentally come across things that are straight up [filth], I wouldn't even want my husband on it. (I'm a business, so public profile and have gotten some icky followers, likes, etc)

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:38 pm
I've seen [filth] on there as well... lots of fitness models and lingerie models to look at as well!!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:17 am
Just be aware that your kids can see racy pics even if they don't join instagram.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 6:52 am
amother wrote:
Just be aware that your kids can see racy pics even if they don't join instagram.

That doesn't mean that you're required to hand it to them on a silver platter. Parents still have a certain responsibility.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children