Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
San Diego restaurant

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:48 am
What are the kosher food options? Heard about Ralph's - what do they carry in terms of lunch and dinner for adults and kids? What about the cafe at jcc? What do they carry? And what type of food does coffee bean offer? Thanks so much

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:23 pm
JCC has meat/parve food selections like burgers, falafel, fish & chips, fish burritos, deli sandwiches, chicken. My husband loves the chicken schnitzel there. I had the fish burrito last week and it was good (I recommend to order without onions). They also have snacks like bamba, yogurts, hummus & pretzels & ice cream. They also usually have a soup of the day there. There is a small sit down area at the JCC.

Ralphs La Jolla has burgers, hotdogs and deli sandwiches that you can order at the Deli counter. They also have premade salads, premade sandwiches and sushi. There is a small sit down area in the front of the store, but it's often difficult to get seats. I recommend getting food to go at Ralphs and eating it elsewhere. Ralphs La Jolla also has a selection of kosher cheeses, yogurt, & milk (often chalav yisrael). There is also a large selection of breads and they have fresh parve pastries, donuts and various desserts like cookies and cakes there. They also have a nice selection of kosher wines. They have a frozen kosher section with things like onion rings, fish sticks...etc.

There is also a kosher Krispy Kreme donut store in San Diego (4180 Clairemont Mesa); donuts are dairy, kosher under KSA, not chalav yisrael. kids can watch the donuts be made at this location, has a big glass window where can watch the donut machine at work. Store is in a big shopping center, next to lots of discount stores.

There are several Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf stores in San Diego. All in San Diego & Southern California certified under Kosher LA (kosherla.org), Rabbi Benzaquen. Coffee Bean carried a selection of pastries, premade sandwiches, yogurts, along with a wide selection of drinks. Food there is dairy, not chalav yisrael. Sometimes the sandwiches (tuna) are parve. And you can get drinks made with soy milk if you want parve.

There are lots of Starbuck locations in San Diego. Sometimes they carry kosher (dairy) snacks like cookies.

There is a kosher certified frozen yogurt store called Menchies under the San Diego Vaad. This is only for the Mission Valley location that is under actual supervision. This is in a large shopping center. Across the street 1-2 blocks away from Menchies is one of the Coffee Beans. There is an outdoor mall across the street from Menchies that has a movie theater, Target, Macy's... Etc.

There are a few ice cream stores like Hagen Daaz around San Deigo.Not under Vaad supervision, but if you eat at them, there is one in Fashion Valley and I think one at Seaport Village.

Downtown San Deigo has a Chocolate ghirardelli store location. Not under Vaad supervision. They have dairy ice cream for sale there and a large sit down area in the back of the store. lots of kosher dairy chocolates for sale in front part of store.
They often give out free chocolate samples. Makes a nice dessert date place to go in the evenings.

In the "college area" of San Diego, by Beth Jacob, some of the local stores carry various kosher foods. Ralphs (Montezuma location) has a small kosher section with Bamba, Mealmart self stable meals, boxed Mac n cheese, grape juice... Etc. Ralps also sometimes has random kosher breads in the bread section and recently I have seen kosher Israeli desserts there. This Ralphs also has a small kosher freezer section with frozen challah dough, pizza bagels, chicken nuggets...etc. another store in the neighborhood is Smart & final (El Cajon Blvd) which usually carries shredded cheddar and/or motzerella cheeses. You can find Kosher hotdog buns and hamburger buns here cheap. They also have parve pas yisrael black and white cookies here and sometimes other parve cookies or treats. Vons is across the street from Smart & final (El Cajon Blvd) and has a small kosher section (salad croutons, grape juice, Bamba, matzah...etc) Currently you can find kosher hotdogs at this Vons location sold along with the regular hotdogs. They used to carry kosher cheeses, but haven't seen recently. Almost no kosher bread at Vons except pita, bagels and rye bread and hamburger buns. Vons as a kosher freezer section, random items liked parve whip & onion rings. You can find various kosher parve vegan freezer meals at these Vons and Ralphs locations.

Another store that carries a random selection of kosher foods is Vine Ripe in La Mesa. It's a middle eastern store. They have random kosher frozen stuff, sometimes kosher deli meats, sometimes a selection of kosher cheeses. I've seen kosher parve pastries, pita, challah, & lavosh breads (pas yisrael) from Los Angeles regularly carried there. They have large jars of tahini for a good price & have a large selection of kosher canned pickles.

There are several Trader Joe locations in San Diego. Trader Joes in San diego have kosher challah, Ezekiel breads, tortillas and pita breads. TJs also carries empire chicken and turkey and Teva meats (stew beef, steak and ground beefs). There is chalav yisrael Feta cheese from israel there (yum!!). Tons of kosher snacks and other foods, many are parve. Also a few kosher wines carries at TJs.

Costco (morena location) always has a selection of kosher cheeses, deli, frozen empire chicken and various Mealmart meals (meatballs, brisket, stuffed cabbage). The Costco in La Mesa randomly sometimes carries kosher Deli or Mealmart meals (no cheeses though). The Carmel Mountain Costco location also always has kosher cheeses and empire chicken.

Wholefoods often carries kosher chicken in San Diego (there is one in La Jolla and one in NorthPark). They also have kosher challah. I've seen kosher cheddar cheese slices (not chalav yisrael) there too. Lots of random kosher things you can find at Whole foods.

Forgot to add, in the summer Chabad of La Costa does a kosher BBQ outdoor restaurant. I think it's once or twice a week. https://m-chabadatlacostacom.c.....ng/en

There are currently no dairy / pizza stores in San Diego. Beth Jacob was making pizzas 1-2 times a week, but stopped at Pesach. There was a pizza store in Poway, but it unfortunately was open only a few weeks before it closed earlier this year.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 10:10 pm
Yay! More kosher food options in San Diego for the summer:

Beth Jacob in San Diego (College Area) is now having a summer grill restaurant from 5 - 9 pm Sunday thru Thursday for the summer. Food like hamburgers, hot dogs... Etc. Beth Jacob has a kids playground, so a great place to bring the kids. http://www.bjsd.org/visitors

Also, there is now a kosher food truck in San Diego. This week the kosher food truck will be available from 12pm to 8pm in down town San Diego. https://www.Facebook.com/ThePlaceCatering/

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:04 pm
Just wanted to update my earlier post for visitors coming to San Diego. Beth Jacob in the College Area has pizza available usually every Thurs night. Make sure to call ahead in case the schedule has changed.

Moishe's Thursday Night Pizza
4855 College Ave.
S.D., CA 92115
Cheese Pizza, Fish & Chips
Thursday 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Dine-in or To-go (619 )817-5914
Kosher Supervision: Cholov Yisroel - Vaad Harabonim of San Diego

===

All the other info I posted last summer is still the same as far as I know.

Hope this helps people visiting our city. Smile

kugel6613

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 5:28 pm
spam removed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics