Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Vegetable soup question

yummy2smiles

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:01 am
Is there a way to make vegetable soup without grinding up or food processing the veges? Im short on time- can I just cut up veges real small and throw in pot of water and boil? Any short on time vege soup suggestions?

bookie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:06 am
Thats how I make my soup, I dont puree it. Dice your vegetables I add some barley and cook for an hour and half.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:06 am
Sautée fresh onions and garlic add veggies added allow to sautée a few minutes then add spices and water, let cook for 1.5-2 hours

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:07 am
if you have a few extra minutes you can start by sautéing onions and then add chopped vegetables. then when veg. all soft, add flavoring and voila. you have a delicious soup.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:09 am
I make quick veggie soup always in teh winter

saute an onion (optional - but I think it gives it a ton more flavor)

Throw in cut vegetables - don't even have to be so small - whatever you want carrots, zuchhini, celery, sweet potato, turnip, parsnip (I think the turnip and parsnip give a lot of flavor)

I like to throw in a cup of red lentils.

Let cook until veg are soft and lentils 'melt'.
salt and pepper - I like adding 1 - 2 Tbsp tomato paste - I think it cuts down on the salt needed and a little red wine vinegar (optional).

Sometimes puree the soup a little with a hand blender or I just leave it.

miriamg

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:21 am
I do the same as sky, but I use any legume: green lentils, red lentils, split peas (though you need to cook this longer), even chickpeas from a can. I also often add barley.

בתאבון!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:55 am
I do a mixture ... however, water + veggies + spices = SOUP

[I am not a salt person but don't forget veggie soup needs some salt or it will be bland]

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....36474

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:59 am
For a good quick soup I sautee onion, garlic, and dehydrated vegetables. I add spices, lentils, small pasta. Then I add chicken stock or water. Quick and tasty.

You can thicken if you like.

smile12345

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:00 am
Squishy wrote:
For a good quick soup I sautee onion, garlic, and dehydrated vegetables. I add spices, lentils, small pasta. Then I add chicken stock or water. Quick and tasty.

You can thicken if you like.

I often see recipes including chicken stock, but what is it?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:03 am
For sure. A chunky vegetables soup!
If you don't have time to sauté onion and garlic as you base before adding the rest of the vegetables, just make sure it's well seasoned before you serve it. Simmer it for 30-40 minutes.
Some people add barley or small pasta to give an overall thickness to the broth that will form between the cut vegetables. Of you add barley, it will need to cook 1 1/2 hours. If you add miniature pasta, only do so in the last 10-15 of cooking.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:05 am
smile12345 wrote:
I often see recipes including chicken stock, but what is it?
What you might call chicken soup. It's the strained liquid from the chicken soup.

cbg

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:57 am
Easy veggie soup recipe

2 cans roasted tomatoes diced, any flavor, liquid and all.
2 bags frozen mixed veggies, I like gumbo or soup
Water
Consume soup mix

Just boil that's it

If you want a thicker soup add 1 cup of oatmeal
Also you can add rice

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:23 am
Chicken Stock:

Save all the bones and scraps from a roasted chicken. Bits of skin and cartilage, all that stuff.
Wash and throw in a big handful of celery leaves.
One fat carrot, not cut up.
One whole onion.
5 or 6 whole cloves of garlic.

Put in a big pot and add water to cover the whole thing. Boil for an hour, then simmer for several hours. Strain out and discard all the solids.

Save the stock in quart containers, and keep it in the freezer for future use. You'll never use instant soup mix again!

As for making vegetable soup, just ask yourself "How did people make vegetable soup before electricity was invented?" We've become way to dependent on gadgets. Basic cooking skills are a must.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:29 am
Of course you can. I never puree vegetable soup. I didn't even know until recently that people puree soups. I happen to like the look of veggies of different colors and shapes in the soup. When a soup is pureed I secretly wonder what the cook is trying to hide.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:33 am
zaq wrote:
Of course you can. I never puree vegetable soup. I didn't even know until recently that people puree soups. I happen to like the look of veggies of different colors and shapes in the soup. When a soup is pureed I secretly wonder what the cook is trying to hide.

I hide the fact that I neglected to chop my veggies into small and symmetrical pieces Wink

Kidding (mostly). I like puréed soups but sometimes the weather calls for a wonderfully chunky soup.

tovli toraspicha

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:44 am
mmm I love chunky vegetable soup... split peas, zucchini, sweet potato, onions, sometimes I add some lima beans.
I cut the vegies into pieces (not necessarily perfect little diced pieces) and don't blend this one

lora

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:56 am
sauté onion and garlic chop up sweet potato squash carrots and add great northern beans and green peas. plus spices
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics