Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sending a child to Yeshiva

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:06 am
Help! I have just sent my 13-year old son overseas to a Yeshiva. He will be 14 soon. Due to circumstances I had to send him. This is so tough, he is so young. Bh he is in a controlled environment, very small yeshiva but it's still so scary to send him so far. Anyone had to do the same? Any support, empathy or "I can relate?"
I didn't think I'd send him away before he is 18 lol!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:27 am
I may have to send 13yo DD away to boarding school next year. I am absolutely heartbroken.

I wish I could say something that would ease the pain for both of us. Just daven as hard as you can.

Hug

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:24 am
Do you have friends or relatives near the Yeshiva that can keep an eye on him, invite him for Shabbos, etc..?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I may have to send 13yo DD away to boarding school next year. I am absolutely heartbroken.

I wish I could say something that would ease the pain for both of us. Just daven as hard as you can.

Hug

It's very tough. I'm sorry you will have to go through this too.

-OP

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:55 am
Chayalle wrote:
Do you have friends or relatives near the Yeshiva that can keep an eye on him, invite him for Shabbos, etc..?

Bh I have siblings/in law in all parts of the country so that helps.

-OP

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:56 am
Sounds hard! Any chance you could find an excuse to go visit him, for Purim or Pesach or Lag B'Omer?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:57 am
three of my teens are away in school. It is so hard.

Also, they are not allowed smartphones in their schools so we can talk but not see each other. That makes it harder. Two of my kids are not great conversationalists either.

FF, hopefully you will get to see your dd more often if she is in Israel.

Also, I spend my WHOLE life booking airline tickets. Three kids, each come home 3 - 6 times a year or more often. (some are only a short flight away)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 11:37 am
doctorima, he is now there till Pesach. We just brought him so I guess we will see him then. I plan to visit iyh in July when we have a Simcha there anyway.

Amother, Yes, no smartphones allowed either but that's not an issue as I wouldn't have let him have one anyway Smile
As for tickets, wow! Here he is only allowed home twice a year for a month.

-OP

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 11:39 am
My now 14 year old went away to yeshiva. His birthday was after sukkos. He's mature and responsible enough by himself, but I wouldn't have sent him if his older brother, 17yo wasn't there. His brother went when he was 15. Like another poster, they're not allowed to have smart phones and the 14yo doesn't want any phone. The older one kind of has one. He lost it and it took awhile until he got a new one, but now is winter break, so they have their smart phone back. They only come home summer vacation and maybe pesach, depending on the price. It's hard, but it makes it easier if they're happy and doing well. My 14yo is very independent and wanted to go away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children