Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Any chareidi unschoolers here?

queenert

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:42 am
Can you PM me? I have LOTS of questions! Thanks!

queenert

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:43 am
And yes, I tried joining both the frum homeschooling yahoo group and the Israel google group, but didn't have success getting into either. Any tips to get in?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:29 pm
Look up pennilessparenting.com
She's a frum woman in Israel who practices unschooling.

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:46 pm
For you to join Jewish, Orthodox, and Homeschooling, you need to send me the request with your name and community in which you live. My reply to your request may have gone in your spam folder.

Please try again!

Happy Mom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 12:19 am
You might get more responses by asking here and there are also probably others who are interested in the answers you get!

I've been homeschooling since 2000, all of our ten children have been homeschooled. Currently we're homeschooling six (including two high schoolers who are completely self-directed unschoolers). We're a charedi family living in Israel. I call myself a relaxed homeschooler. Smile I've written extensively on this topic; if you look at the homeschooling category on my blog you'll find several hundred posts.

queenert

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:29 am
Alrighty...I'll post what I wrote on the Yahoo group. (I got answers to my other more factual questions...this one I'll take all the feedback because everyone's experience is different.)
It's a little rant-ish, so forgive me. Smile

Also, what's your blog?

Thanks all!

"And now some unschooling questions (non-Israelis, feel free to answer as well). I'm still exploring this, so bear with me - I'm not sure I'll be so clear.
We love the idea of unschooling for secular knowledge. It sounds very intuitive, enduring, and exciting. But, we're skeptical in terms of Judaic studies. Torah learning requires a certain amount of submissiveness. It's very different than other streams of knowledge; it's Truth. You can't just decide it doesn't apply to your life and you'll get by without it. You need to accept that it is right and you just need to explore further if you don't understand. It's not about feeling. We don't learn merely because it's interesting, but because it is Torah. It's not studied on our terms, but on God's terms.
How, then, does unschooling work for kodesh? What if a kid decides they're no longer interested in a daf Gemara they started? Maybe it's not their topic of interest, but Torah is Torah. You can't just decide to ignore half of it because you don't care about cows. Yes, later in life you can "specialize" in certain topics, but to gain an appreciation for the whole of Torah, for the role it plays in our lives, it seems you need to plod on.
Also, unschooling follows the pace of the child. What if a child isn't interested in learning what they need to know by the various ages of accountability (Age of Chinuch/Bar/Bat Mitzvah)? You can argue that it doesn't matter if they don't read until age 10, but it does matter if they know the halachot of tefillin by 13.
(I had this question with potty training as well...pushing the child by age 3 so they can wear tzizit. It seemed unnatural, but it's commonly practiced.)
And yes, I know unschooling kids do push and challenge themselves. But it seems only when it's a topic of interest to them.

Does the unschooling method develop an attitude that can support a true submissiveness to Torah? Or is the child's approach towards knowledge more self centered?
Anyone have a Rav that's supportive of unschooling?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling