Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
At what age did your teen dd start wearing makeup
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:25 pm
dd is turning 16 soon and she asked if she could start wearing some makeup. First she said just mascara, that went onto mascara and eye shadow then she said- not just lip-gloss. All of this with me telling her this is not the time to discuss it as her little brother was right there.. Which showed me lack of maturity etc.
I see how some of her classmates load it on and look ridiculous. I had been thinking of taking her to someone who does makeup to pick up lipgloss/lipstick for Shabbos.

Am I being too prudish- at what age did you start wearing makeup and what item was it?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:33 pm
Me: 9th grade (without my mother's permission). I wore a full face (way too much). Had my mother allowed me, and taken me shopping for it, I'm sure I would have looked a lot more refined.
My niece: 7th grade (modern orthodox)
My Bais Yaakov sisters who are not as rebellious as I was: my 16 yr old sis wears lipstick on shabbos. My other sis got makeup in 11th grade- blush, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick maybe also eyeshadow, but all in light colors.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:36 pm
Bais Yaakov background- full face in twelfth grade for Shabbos and weddings. (Naturally applied)
I purchased it right before going into twelfth grade, some girls got makeup at the end of eleventh.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:40 pm
My mother A"H took me shopping for full makeup supplies for my 16 birthday. I only put it on for Shabbos, and only if I was in the mood at that....I went to my local BY.

Did same for my older teen. My younger teen (15) seems to do everything earlier. Though my teens have B"AH beautiful skin, so they rarely use coverup. They will put on a bit of blush, some lip gloss, and mascara with a light shadow, plus eyeliner, for Shabbos.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:48 pm
We buy make up when we are 17 (12th grade). We wear it for shabbos when we are indoors only or by siblings weddings till 18. Once we are out of school we wear it every day. (We are Chasidish). My yeshivish relatives got it and wear it in 12th grade but not in school.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:51 pm
Whatever you do, don't let her cake on orange foundation like I see a lot of yeshivish women and girls doing. It looks hideous and ruins a good appearance.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:54 pm
I got a full makeover at 16 but mom didn't allow eyeliner until senior year I think. Tongue Out I think I'll do the same with my dd's.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:59 pm
When you say no make up that doesn't include concealer to cover up pimples right?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:38 pm
My mother was very old school. She only wore lipstick and blush.

Alot of girls started wearing some kind of makeup in 11th grade.. (regular B.Y. school)

My mother didnt even want to let me get makeup for 12th grade pictures.
I put the pressure on and she relented but only consented to 'lipistick and blush'

We went to EMH (remember them on 13th) the woman there conviced her that I need a moistureizer, a base, concealer, lipliner and miscara at least together with the 'lipstick and blush' she wouldnt let me get eye liner or eye shadow.

Most of my grade got 'made up' by a profesional make up artist for pics.( And got hair done ) My mother wouldnt alow it. We werent poor. Just her old fasion school of thought.
I had to figure out how to apply the makeup on my own with not much time to experiment.

I started to use make up on shabbos .
I had gotten some kind of free promotional makeup kit somewere/somehow that had eye shadow colors and eye liner in it. I used it. Suprisingly my mother liked what I looked like when I used the make up. To the piont that she got upset when I didnt apply makeup for shabbos.
After I graduated she made me wear make up daily and made me pay for it....oh well

I liked how someone up thread has said that her mother had bought her makeup for her 16th birthday and then let her wear it shabbosim when ever she wanted.

My oldest daughter is 13 now. Id like to do that for her when she turns 16 iyh. With no pressure. I think that is beautiful.

I had let my daughter wear a bit of blush and lip gloss to her aunts and uncles weddings sice she was 9 years old or so. She had come with me to have my make up done and wanted some. I didnt see anything wrong with it and let her have some applied. She felt like a million dollars.

I think a mother has to look around at the girls friends and circles and judge against what is being done. A girl cant feel like she is the odd one out.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:39 pm
11th grade, for shabbos. BY

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:39 pm
I think you are being hard on her. Bring her to someone to teach her how to put on makeup tastefully if you are nervous about her application or makeup choices. There are so many hard parts of being a frum teenage girl, let her have some of the kosher fun parts!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:
When you say no make up that doesn't include concealer to cover up pimples right?
concealer and cover-up she has- b"H her skin is beautiful and doesn't need it, but for the spot treatments me concealer/cover up.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:55 pm
I've been giving my 12 year old my old makeup for the past half a year. She learned about it in sleepaway camp and from her best friend at BY! I didn't want to make a big deal when she asked and I'd rather her use it under my guidance than rebel. We have rules as to what she's allowed to wear and when. She watches tutorials and plays with it on days off from school. The rule is that it doesn't leave the house except for light makeup for special occasions. I've let her wear mascara and lipgloss out 3 times for bat mitzvahs.

It's way earlier than I envisioned, but I'm sooner risking a rebellion if I refused while she sees other acting freely with it. I'm at the point where she asks me if she can wear it months in advance and she's very respectful. I just hope she continues this way.

mommyofd1

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:58 pm
eleventh grade, I think it was around succos time. Go to a frum makeup artist who will do natural fine colors.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:58 pm
tichellady wrote:
I think you are being hard on her. Bring her to someone to teach her how to put on makeup tastefully if you are nervous about her application or makeup choices. There are so many hard parts of being a frum teenage girl, let her have some of the kosher fun parts!

Could be I am- My ds not into makeup as he taught in a public high school and saw how trashy those girls looked. Not sure why he thought we would layer it on like that... eventually, maybe after 11th grade we were allowed lipstick.. etc.

Maybe I am just not ready for my baby to grow up. : (
It sounds like the best thing is to take her on an outing to someone who does shabbos makeup, but call before hand to let them know what the restrictions are so we don't have any arguments...

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
Could be I am- My ds not into makeup as he taught in a public high school and saw how trashy those girls looked. Not sure why he thought we would layer it on like that... eventually, maybe after 11th grade we were allowed lipstick.. etc.

Maybe I am just not ready for my baby to grow up. : (
It sounds like the best thing is to take her on an outing to someone who does shabbos makeup, but call before hand to let them know what the restrictions are so we don't have any arguments...

Sounds good!

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 8:22 pm
9th grade I wore mascara and filled in my eyebrows, maybe lip gloss on shabbos. Tenth I bought everything--foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow...I was really into crazy colors, like orange and blue and brown lipstick and metalic silver eyeliner. I looked ridiculous but I had a lot of fun. 11th and up I wore normal classy make up. I didn't wear a full face daily until after seminary.

trixx

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 8:25 pm
Take her to a bobbi brown counter the makeup artists are all trained in natural faces only

debsey

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
dd is turning 16 soon and she asked if she could start wearing some makeup. First she said just mascara, that went onto mascara and eye shadow then she said- not just lip-gloss. All of this with me telling her this is not the time to discuss it as her little brother was right there.. Which showed me lack of maturity etc.
I see how some of her classmates load it on and look ridiculous. I had been thinking of taking her to someone who does makeup to pick up lipgloss/lipstick for Shabbos.

Am I being too prudish- at what age did you start wearing makeup and what item was it?

What type of educational system is she in? The whole thing about discussing it in front of her little brother might just be because she's the last girl in her class to get makeup and she is feeling some social pressure.

We had a family wedding when DD was 15, (10th grade) and I bought some lighter products from the makeup artist who did her face for the wedding - soft brown eyeliner, lip gloss, and sheer blusher (also a tinted moisturizer)

When she was 16, I took her to a makeup counter and she chose makeup which she only wears on shabbos. Now she's out of HS and I'm glad she started at 16, so she could make her mistakes early, when it didn't matter so much.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 2:17 pm
I came from a home where my mother wore makeup maybe twice in her entire life. Despite this, she never stopped me and my sisters from wearing it. She allowed me to buy my first makeup product (lip gloss) when I turned 12 and had a lot of Bas Mitzvahs to attend, which were big events in the circles I was in. I really appreciated that my mom, who doesn't like makeup, allowed her daughters to experiment with it in whatever way they liked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children