Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Easy Mjedra?

LisaS

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:03 am
Does anyone have an easy mjedra recipe? The one in "Fistfull of Lentils" has way too many steps for me.

I'd also be interested to hear what people use to flavor mjedra other than the usual salt and fried onions. I leave the onions on the side because not all of my kids like them.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:22 am
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

naomi2

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:29 am
I once made it by putting all the ingredients into the rice cooker, no onions. came out delicious

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:39 am
I cook rice, but use a can of lentils. The ones I find are flavored but when they're rinsed, the flavor is lost.

I always add sautéed onions, and my version is spiced with the Pereg meatball spice mix, and salt and pepper.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:51 am
this is the recipe I use, but don't know if its easier then yours.

https://www.theguardian.com/li.....enghi

N'sMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:56 am
I flavor mine with cumin too. It is really delicious. I don't really use a recipe per se. I cook an equal amount of lentils and rice. I use brown rice for extra nutrition. Cook them in separate pots. For, say a cup of each (uncooked) I saute the biggest onion I can find, slowly in olive oil until good and done. Then I mix it all together and season with salt and cumin (DD hates pepper). If I am concerned about someone who doesn't like onions, I combine everything else and then top with the onions, so non-onion eaters can avoid them. I have no idea if this recipe is authentic but it tastes right and is delicious. Noting for the record that with brown rice this is complementary protein and can be served as a vegan main dish. YUM!

mamaroo

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:12 am
Recipee for 4 or 5 ppl
First I put a cup of brown lentils with 2 cups of water in the pot I let them boil once the lentils are soft I add 1 cup of rice and more water if necessary I flavir with salt and cumin
Fry the onions on the side
I eat the mjedra with cucumber and yogurt

heidi

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:25 am
Has anyone tried this with red lentils?

N'sMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:49 am
My guess is they wouldn't maintain their integrity well enough and would be a little too mushy. I have tried the smaller french lentils and they weren't bad but not as good as the regular green ones.

LisaS

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:50 am
Wow, so many great replies. Thanks!

ra_mom, I searched with a different spelling and that recipe didn't come up. Thanks for finding it.

To answer Heidi - no I wouldn't make it with red lentils. They tend to disintegrate.

N'sMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:18 pm
How many of you are now in the mood for mujadara for supper? I am!

heidi

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:58 pm
Thanks for the replies. Now I have to go buy some lentils--you put me in the mood for a yummy Shabbos side dish!

cheeseaddict

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 2:00 pm
I do it all in one pot.
Sautee diced onions until translucent.
Add lentils with salt, pepper and cumin.
Cover with water (and maybe a half inch more), and cook until lentils are soft.
Add whatever cups of rice you are making and the corresponding cups of water.
Bring to a boil and then cook on low until ready (like you would when making plain rice).
YUM.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 2:11 pm
I do the basic one pot version and add a teaspoon of fresh turmeric, 1tsp cumin, 1.5tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1tsp salt. I salt my sliced onions before frying so they give up some liquid (that way they get really crispy) then I toss them with a bit of flour before frying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics