Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need help deciding between laminate & vinyl flooring

b from nj

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:52 am
We have hardwood flooring that we had sanded and polished before we moved into our house nearly 16 years ago. Currently our floors are in REALLY bad shape and we are trying to figure out how to replace what we have without breaking the bank and going crazy with having to empty out the rooms etc.

We are currently debating between laminate engineered wood flooring and vinyl flooring (that looks like wood).

Just wondering if any of you wonderful ladies have any suggestions, recommendation, advice, etc!

Thanks in advance!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 5:42 pm
I did some research recently on vinyl and laminate. What I learned, is that they both look almost the same, but are made of different materials. Vinyl is made out of plastic materials and is waterproof. It is more money than laminate, but is better for areas that are prone to flooding, like basements. Laminate is made from wood materials and will get ruined from excessive water.

b from nj

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 5:51 pm
Amother Blue thanks for your input!

I have also heard about that vinyl is water proof but one negative issue with it is that when scratched there isn't anything to do about it versus laminate that can be re-sanded (although it's probably a pain to re-sand).

It's hard to figure out what to go with and who to use (whether to go to a smaller store or a larger chain like Home Depot...).

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:04 pm
I have some laminate and it doesn't look like it can be sanded. The wood design is only on the top and the insides of the planks is raw wood. If you sand it, it would just remove the finish. As far as I know, you can only sand real hardwood flooring.
I prefer using frum stores. I have found that they are more helpful, than big stores like Home Depot. Good luck with your decision!

b from nj

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:07 pm
I have an appt tomorrow with a frum installer who sells flooring so I will ask him about the laminate sanding (if it's even possible).

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:11 pm
We did vinyl planks in two rooms we recently renovated. I love it. For the kitchen we used an expensive one that has a thicker layer of the top protective coating. It cost $7/sq ft installed. It's beautiful, comfortable, and should hold up for many years iy"H. We had this done by a jewish store whose workers were professional and worked with our time budget.

For the basement we used a cheaper one from Home Depot. It was on sale so we got a really good price and weren't so picky about the color, graining, size of the planks, etc. DH was going to install it himself but then realized he doesn't have the time, so we got someone to do it. It came out to be half price of the kitchen.

b from nj

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:20 pm
Amother Beige-you used vinyl for the basement as well?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:30 pm
laminate can get ruined by water. I would redo hardwood floors, that's what we plan on doing. Either way you have to empty the room.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:32 pm
are you serious ?! covering up hard wood ?! please sand & varnish ...

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:41 pm
b from nj wrote:
Amother Beige-you used vinyl for the basement as well?
yes

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
laminate can get ruined by water. I would redo hardwood floors, that's what we plan on doing. Either way you have to empty the room.
hardwood can also get ruined by water. OP said she wants to replace the floor, not redo it.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
hardwood can also get ruined by water. OP said she wants to replace the floor, not redo it.

yes, she can replace the hardwood floor which is what I recommend. laminate can get ruine more than hardwood by water.

b from nj

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:29 pm
Our floors are in such bad condition that we've been told that they may not even be able to be sanded again b/c they have been so badly damaged. That is why we want to cover the floor with something else.

Also we were told that with laminate they can do one side of the room and then move the furniture to the other side of the room which would be much more manageable than totally removing ALL the furniture from the LR, DR, and 3 BRs.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:33 pm
You do know that hardwood floors, installed, can be cheaper than vinyl, right?

We have both, our vinyl, from the cheapest ones in the store, was $5.65/sq ft, installed. Hardwood floor was $5.25/sq ft, installed. I'm in NJ, if you want to know where I got from, you can pm me,

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:26 pm
b from nj wrote:
Our floors are in such bad condition that we've been told that they may not even be able to be sanded again b/c they have been so badly damaged. That is why we want to cover the floor with something else.

Also we were told that with laminate they can do one side of the room and then move the furniture to the other side of the room which would be much more manageable than totally removing ALL the furniture from the LR, DR, and 3 BRs.

then you do one room at a time ... unless you have a dog peeing everywhere or had a fire, there is no way real honest hardwood floors can be that damaged ... I've sanded many floors as a handy woman ...

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:29 pm
go with vinyl. I recently installed laminate- only reason we didn't go with vinyl is that I was trying to save $. A few weeks later my neighbor upstairs had a burst pipe and my laminate flooring got badly water damaged. vinyl would've survived getting wet...

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:31 pm
Our floors cannot be sanded again but I think we will go with installing a new hardwood floor rather than laminate because I believe laminate is flimsy and does not hold up to real wear and tear...That said, I would still like to get an estimate for laminate. Which frum company(s) in Brooklyn installs laminate? Can laminate be installed one room at a time?

b from nj

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 8:29 am
amother wrote:
Our floors cannot be sanded again but I think we will go with installing a new hardwood floor rather than laminate because I believe laminate is flimsy and does not hold up to real wear and tear...That said, I would still like to get an estimate for laminate. Which frum company(s) in Brooklyn installs laminate? Can laminate be installed one room at a time?

I believe laminate can be done one room at a time and you don't even have to remove all the furniture b/c the installers can move beds etc from one side of the room to the other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics