Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training a 6 yr old
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:00 pm
my 6 yr old is having trouble staying dry all day..we went to urologists and did alot of exercise, charts, punishments...it seems to me she is a happy go lucky kid and doesnt mind being wet..but everyone around her does mind!

any new ideas how to help her stay dry?

amommy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:04 pm
I think it belongs in a different forum;)

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:06 pm
No tips on toilet training, but why is this posted in intimacy? I thought that maybe your 6-year-old with training issues was interrupting your bedroom life! Smile

bookie

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:44 pm
No tips for you but I am in the same boat with my four year old. Its not biological because he has been dry but now he could care less. Iv'e rewarded ignored and punished and I am going insane. Any advice is welcome!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:48 pm
Check for a UTI. Its the most common cause of wetting after training has been established.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 7:41 pm
I too have this problem with a 4 year old. Could care less if he was wet or dry. I am at a total loss. I've tried EVERYTHING. Positive reinforcement, punishing, yelling, ignoring, going back to diapers. This has completely taken over my life for the past 1.5 years. I put him to bed and cry about all the mess and laundry that I have to do. I feel like a total failure and I don't even like being near him because he so often smells.

Should I just forget it and put him back in diapers and wait a long time until he's ready?

Any ideas will be so helpful

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 10:21 pm
did anyone try with natural vitamins? I was even thinking of some kind of therapy.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 12:48 am
have you done an xray? if she has a bowel impaction pressing on the bladder that could be the cause. my daughter was pooping between 10-17 times a day in her pull up at age 6 and I was SURE it couldn't be constipation---- well, she was pooping new poop around impaction--- she had a rectal load. Bladder wise she was ok but I understand kids with this issue have bladder problems because of this at times.

Though I'm happy to not be the only one on imamother still toilet training a 6 year old, it's a sucky club in which to be. Sad

Frenchfry

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 1:10 am
BTDT

It can be very frustrating. Constipation can lead to bladder problems, so put the child on a stool softener.

Otherwise, insist that the child go to the bathroom every hour on a timer.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 1:10 am
There's a doctor that deals with this, he was featured in The Journal News a couple of weeks ago. His method is extreme but apparently he's unbelievably successful. The parents move in with the child to the bathroom for 3 days. They eat, sleep, do everything there. The child has their toys in there with them and can't leave for nothing. It's a very interesting article if you can find it. I'm not sure how that would work with eating and brachos though.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 2:10 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
have you done an xray? if she has a bowel impaction pressing on the bladder that could be the cause. my daughter was pooping between 10-17 times a day in her pull up at age 6 and I was SURE it couldn't be constipation---- well, she was pooping new poop around impaction--- she had a rectal load. Bladder wise she was ok but I understand kids with this issue have bladder problems because of this at times.

Though I'm happy to not be the only one on imamother still toilet training a 6 year old, it's a sucky club in which to be. Sad

I second this! Please, please, have her examined to see if she is extremely constipated. For about half a year, we went crazy with my daughter's bathroom issues. She was trained for about a year when she started going to the bathroom every half hour, then closer and closer, until she would scream every thirty seconds that she needs the bathroom. Each time she would produce barely a trickle. Is your daughter soaking herself, or just trickling?

We were unable to go anywhere. Our daughter went back into pullups. We went to urologist, etc. until I read that it could be from constipation. I realized that her stool was usually not soft....we put her on miralax and within a few weeks it all stopped, and she was regulated. It's been a year; her medication was switched to lactulose because she ended up breaking out in hives from one of the miralax bottles....if I take her off of the lactulose, she becomes constipated again.

baba

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:11 am
My dd, who will be turning 7 in a few months still has problems. She was fully trained for almost 2 years when she was little and then it all started. Her pediatrician says it's much harder second time around. Like your daughter, she just doesnt seem to care.
The last ped I went to suggested I tell her to go to the toilet every few hours and give her a sand timer to make sure she sits there for 2 min, waiting for everything to go out. And do this together with a sticker chart. Yellow stickers for dry days and blue ones for wet days. If she gets 8 yellow stickers in a row she gets a small present. If she then gets another 8 she gets a bigger one and another 8 an even bigger one. Even though my dd has chosen her big presents, she still hasnt gotten more than those 8 dry days in a row. I also havent been reminding her as much as I should since she is out a lot, playing at friends etc. On the other hand, she almost never has wet clothes anymore, just a small spot in her underpants, which is a huge improvement.

I've noticed it comes and goes in waves. If she has a bad accident, she'll usually have a few more and then it will suddenly get better. I really try not to react negatively. I have in the past told her to wash her clothes after she pees in them (just for a min in the sink with some soap), so she deals with her own mess and realizes she cant just throw everything in the wash and it will magically appear clean again. At the moment I dont do this cause it's just a little pee, not so bad.

I've talked to her about it, calmly, asking her why she thinks it is, what she thinks she can do about it and how she thinks I can help her. I recently had a talk with her about how it can affect her in school, that the other kids can smell it etc and how she should really try.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:58 am
I am still at a loss. My 4 year old is still not toilet trained. He is just not at all interested. We've tried for 2 years. Iam totally depressed about this. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:50 am
bump

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:04 pm
My darling 5 year old has been on daily miralax for a year now! She still has accidents daily. Any mothers on this thread who can follow up with any success?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:14 pm
DD 7 had accidents so frequently I was going crazy. Urologist said to try Miralax, because the constipation was causing her to not feel the urge to urinate.
After about 3 months the accidents stopped for a while. She hasnt had Miralax in a few months and the accidents recently started again. Just tonight I told her we need to start Miralax again.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:16 pm
Do you mean your daughter is 7 years old? What have you been doing until now with her? Not asking critically, just desperate for some help/ methods/ guidance

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:31 pm
Maybe a toilet training watch can be helpful
It will remind your child to go to the bathroom even if he doesn't feel like going.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:26 pm
Bumping this up to see if anyone has any new advice.
My dd is 5 and after being perfectly toilet trained for about 7 months she has started having multiple accidents a week and doesnt seem to care. We've tried charts, bribes, annoyance and I'm at my wigs end. I need to toilet train my 3 year old but I am too scared to go through this again.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:47 pm
Sometimes a urinary reflux and low grade uti, can cause this.
My niece had this. No fever. Just incontinence. And she pretended she didnt care... cuz she couldnt control it.
Low dose long term abx worked like a charm.
But then my sister went the natur route and got rid of it entirely.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training