Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Eating dinner in peace?

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 9:53 pm
my kids are 2 yrs and 10 months bli ayin hara. we have this issue almost every night. I serve them dinner around 5 or 5 30 and then dh and I sit down to dinner at 7. I try to give them toys to play with to entertain themselves nearby but my daughter starts crying and comes to stand by my chair and hangs on to my skirt. my son just tries to pull the food off the table. I know they are little kids and that's what kids do but am I completely delusional to want to sit down for 15 minutes to have a normal conversation with dh and eat without having a child on my lap or crying hysterically? do I have to wait till they are in college for a quiet dinner? excuse the sarcasm, im just so frustrated! helpful hints anyone?

miriam

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 9:59 pm
Can you somehow incorporate them into your meal? Put highchairs near the table so they can see you. You can put toys on their trays to occupy them. They just want to be doing what you are doing. Kids adore their parents and want to be just like them.
If this plan doesn't work, put them to sleep and then eat.

I can't remember the last time I had a meal with no children there, BH.

shoy18

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:10 pm
what time do your kids go to bed?? mine by 10 months went to bed by 7 and still does..

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:14 pm
they go to sleep at 8- although ds has not been falling asleep till 10 ptm these days. not sure whats going on with that.
we cant eat later bec. my dh has to go out to learn/daven/give shiurim around 8. ive tried putting them in high chairs but then they end up getting restless...

shoy18

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:31 pm
is there anyway to eat dinner together that way the kids are hungry and just eat?

suomynona

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 6:08 am
Eat dinner together with your kids isn't necessarily the solution either. I spend the whole meal getting things for my son (second helpings, drinks). I barely get to eat a bite, and by the time I finally get to start eating, my husband is already finished and ready to leave the table. Soon my schedule is changing and I hope to have him in bed before we eat. So we'll see how that works out.

zigi

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 12:32 pm
give them a snack the same time you eat, have filled sippy cups for them.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 12:35 pm
all I can say is welcome to having kids Smile B"H

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 1:19 pm
Your solution has to be somewhere in between.......

What time do your kids go to sleep? Maybe you'd rather eat then.

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 9:38 pm
yes Bh this is what it's like to have kids. im usually laid back abt things- I dont mind messes, and toys and noise but for whatever reason I want to be able to have that quiet time. for now I'll just go with noisy dinners and will try to schedule some time to unwind for after they are in bed

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 3:37 am
Sounds typical...I understand how you feel! The way I see it, the only way you can have a peaceful dinner is a) wait until later, when they're sleeping...b) Give them exciting snacks while you eat (they've had supper already, so it won't ruin their dinner)...or c) go out and leave them with a babysitter (obviously not practical for every night!) And none are guarranteed! But hopefully you'll at least get some peaceful meals sometimes!

happymom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 10:15 am
Quote:
do I have to wait till they are in college for a quiet dinner

yes, unless u eat dinner when they are in bed, or show them a video or something like that while u eat

Ima'la

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 7:22 am
who says when they're in college they won't call during dinnertime to ask you to send more $$$?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 9:31 am
Sometimes I resort to letting my son watch uncle moishy or home movies while we eat supper...

Maybd letting your kids sit at the table playing with a toy in their high chairs and being near you would be enough for them to think theyre getting their attention then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics