Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Enemas for bathroom problems-anyone tried?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:28 pm
I am desperately trying to help my 5 year old child who has daily accidents since being trained (not) 2 1/2 years ago. I read about giving daily enemas to clean out the system for a month or two but my pediatrician strongly discouraged me from doing it. Has anyone tried this? Has it helped? And is it painful or not? Thank you!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:33 pm
I used fleet glycerin suppositories daily for six months. I strongly discourage you from giving this to your child. While the stuff works, the process is very painful/crampy and afterwards I feel off balance for a good half hour.
He is too young to be doing something so drastic. Start with eating fiber, drinking more, and exercise. If that fails, bring in small doses of miralax. If that fails, see a child psychologist to see if he has anxiety or some other underlying emotional issue causing the constipation. I was constipated all throughout my childhood, but I only went on miralax when I was 13 and not going to the bathroom for three weeks at a time (and missing school because of pain). IBS is a life time condition. I was on that until I was 27 and now I take Linzess because the Miralax no longer does the trick. Most medications end up being life long and create dependency, so they should only be used when you have exhausted everything natural under the sun. And by natural I do not mean unregulated non FDA approved drops some homeopath mixes for you in his basement. I mean good diet and lifestyle and fiber.
Colon cleanses can puncture the intenstines and do permenent damage. Large water enemas or coffee enemas can mess up the electrolites in the body which can result is fainting, heart palpitations,dyhydration, and more.

Hatzlacha

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:38 pm
My child doesn't not have underlying constipation issues, it's caused by her fear of going and it's a nearly 3 year long vicious cycle. She is on a capful of miralax daily for a year already! That is why I am interested in trying enemas, which according to the dr. Who's book I read, will clean out her system completely and solve the bathroom problem. He says it is not painful and I'm being told otherwise. So which is it, painful or not?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:39 pm
Missed the end of your response. Thanks for your input.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:50 pm
It's a really bad idea to give daily enemas over a long period of time. It makes the colonic muscles 'lazy' and causes long-term damage. Don't do it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:51 pm
Any personal experience? What would you recommend instead?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:05 pm
I hope you find a good solution, because giving daily enemas for a young child against medical advice borders on abuse. Have you considered consulting a Gastroenterologist to find out why your child is having such accidents at his age?

I also suggest testing for strep. My son was having such accidents at that age, and it turned out that strep was the culprit. He had no other strep symptoms, not even a sore throat or fever, but tested positive for strep, and within a day or two of starting antibiotics, he was no longer having accidents.

Good luck.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:10 pm
I actually do enemas on my myself. And have been helped immensely. I do water enemas. I know someone that does it on her daughter who's 4. And she asks for it, because it makes her feel better.
It is not abuse, do your research.
It actually encourages the colons muscles to work more.
Also, I would not tell you to force it in, but give him the control, explain the process to him, and let him know that when he starts feeling uncomfortable, you will stop.
It is not painful, but the trick is that when it starts hurting you stop.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:12 pm
Thank you amother black! No, I am not abusive🙄. So glad to hear that someone has done it on a small child with good results.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:14 pm
Enemas may be a useful thing to try, however, I would caution very strongly against doing it to a child without his consent.

It can lead to irreversible issues around tashmish hamitah,

I'd recommend finding another way. If your child has this going on for so long, it's more than likely his muscles have become tight/tense/contracted in a particular way, in which case specific movement that counter the entrenched patterns might loosen his current state of contraction.

I might suggest a session or two of biodynamic craniosacral work. If you're in NYC there's a woman who specializes in working with infants and children.

Hatzlocha!

sourstix

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 3:07 am
Can you explain how constipation has any connection with intimacy?

mmyy

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:24 am
I have the same issue with my 3 yr old DD, We are going to a GI Tomorrow to find out what is the bottom line of the problem is, and if it's fear there are other ways to help it.

It make me feel better to see that I'm not the only mother dealing with it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:24 am
Amother mmyy please update if you're told any useful information! Good luck.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
So which is it, painful or not?

Do one yourself before you give it to her. You be the judge.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:18 am
Some people say it hurts some say not. It definitely can be uncomfortable. Don't give without speaking to a doctor. I gave ds when he was 7. With specific instructions. You can get dehydrated if not done properly. Proper amount of liquids. Op I know what this is. Ds has encopresis. It's not so simple at all. You need an pediatric gastro. They can tell you what's going on.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:21 am
Op your dealing with something more complicated then a book can guide you. Your child has fears. You need to address that with a professional jmho.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:21 am
Amother coffee has your son had these problems since toilet training? That's my situation and I am waiting for an appt at a gi. What were you advised?

fiji

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:58 am
As a nurse I've given more enemas than I can count. It is DEFINITELY VERY UNCOMFORTABLY (and messy!!!) Everyone has a different pain threshold so it really depends on the person. I really can't imagine subjecting any child to it except in severe cases of constipation where there is no other alternative.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
I am desperately trying to help my 5 year old child who has daily accidents since being trained (not) 2 1/2 years ago. I read about giving daily enemas to clean out the system for a month or two but my pediatrician strongly discouraged me from doing it. Has anyone tried this? Has it helped? And is it painful or not? Thank you!

didnt read other responses
maybe try miralax?
I would try and edema once to see if it works on your dc

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:35 pm
I see one of the top GI drs in the country for constipation and he has never once told me to use an enema let a lone a child. Please dont do it. Miralax is a much better solution.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training