Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Will the Trump-Russia connection lead to Trump's downfall?
Previous  1  2

Will the Trump-Russia connection lead to Trump's downfall?
No. No negative evidence will be uncovered in regard to communication with Russia.  
 52%  [ 12 ]
Yes. Trump will be found to have acted improperly in regard to communication with Russia.  
 26%  [ 6 ]
Other, please clarify.  
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

wiki

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 7:05 am
I believe that Trump has inappropriate contacts with Russia, and probably financial dealings that we need to know about. I don't think he was connected to Russian election hacking, although I think we need to get to the bottom of that, also--even though it probably didn't have any decisive role in the election.

I don't think any of these scandals will lead to Trump's downfall, just to dropping approval ratings. But for the time being, he will retain Congress's support and stay in charge.

Pence would be a huge improvement. I may not agree with him too much on policy, but he is a person of normal capability, respect for constitutional norms and emotional stability. He would be a gigantic improvement.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 7:14 am
Smoke and mirrors and absolutely no factual basis. With the goal of raising mistrust in Trump. Even the NY Post called out the NY Times on the Russia nonsense:

Take a deep breath and realize how precious little substance there is in all the breathless reporting about supposed skulduggery by President Trump, his team and the Russian government. If the nation’s lucky, the coming congressional probes — and whatever surfaces from the apparent ongoing FBI investigation — may one day provide some clarity.

Hostile, hysterical reporting based on anonymous leaks provides no hard facts — just “narratives” that could come out of a creative writing class.

Take Wednesday’s breathless New York Times story, “Trump Aides Had Contact With Russian Intelligence” — which was remarkable for containing the same facts the Times reported back in October as “Investigating Donald Trump, FBI Sees No Clear Link to Russia.”

Both reports say various Trumpites talked to figures in Russia’s government — but that US investigators found nothing to show they’d discussed the US election, or that anyone on Team Trump was even aware of any effort by Moscow to influence it.

Oh, and the Times also reported Jan. 19, “Intercepted Russian Communiques Part of Inquiry Into Trump Associates.”

How many times can the Times recycle the same stuff and still call it news?

The source for all of it, time and again, is “current and former” officials — with no sense of how many are actually current, or how former officials know anything about an ongoing investigation.

Note, too, that one of the reporters on all these stories is our old pal Matt Apuzzo — who is presumably working the same highly dubious FBI sources he used back in 2011 when he was with the Associated Press, in his error-riddled series of smears of the NYPD’s Intelligence Division.

Apuzzo’s sources back then plainly resented the first-rate work of Commissioner Ray Kelly’s crew — and that the NYPD had hired ex-CIA experts to build the division. What agenda are they working now?

Yes, Apuzzo won a Pulitzer for that series, and parlayed it into a Times job. But all that really tells you is that propaganda can prosper under the guise of journalism.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/b.....anda/

youngishbear

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:24 am
wiki wrote:
I believe that Trump has inappropriate contacts with Russia, and probably financial dealings that we need to know about. I don't think he was connected to Russian election hacking, although I think we need to get to the bottom of that, also--even though it probably didn't have any decisive role in the election.

I don't think any of these scandals will lead to Trump's downfall, just to dropping approval ratings. But for the time being, he will retain Congress's support and stay in charge.

Pence would be a huge improvement. I may not agree with him too much on policy, but he is a person of normal capability, respect for constitutional norms and emotional stability. He would be a gigantic improvement.

Oddly enough, instead of Trump dropping*, Putin is rising.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....-now/

* or perhaps alongside?

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:55 pm
I'm too cynical to think that Trump will pay any consequences for his Russia connection.

I believe our intelligence communities when they say that Russia tried to influence our elections in favor of Trump. I believe that Trump's first priority is his business and I would also guess that Russia has something on Trump that would make it favorable to them for him to be in office.

I do believe it's possible that Trump knew that Russia would try to make him win, but I think Russia is too smart to have involved him in any details. To the extent that Russia was involved in the election, I wouldn't think that Trump called the shots. If anyone is a pawn to anyone, Trump is a pawn to Russia.

I despise Pence and his principles, but I think he's less of a danger to the global community than Trump is.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 4:19 am
marina wrote:
I voted for the Other option because although I think Trump has acted/will continue to act improperly with Russia, his core base won't care. So it won't be his downfall.

I agree, and will add that it's not just that his core base doesn't care; it's that Congress, who should care about gross improprieties, care much more about advancing their legislative agenda.

But it is worth remembering that even in the Watergate era, and even with both the House and Senate controlled by Democrats at that time, the pressure on Nixon to resign came after the 1973 oil embargo and the ensuing recession. Even when Congress was much less partisan, it may have been the economic situation as much as anything else that led to a climate that enabled a Congressional committee to recommend impeaching Nixon.

In the absence of an economic downturn, which I am certainly not hoping for, I don't think it's likely that anything will happen to Trump.

I also agree with youngishbear that Pence is fit for office, while Trump is not. We don't have to worry that Pence will start a nuclear war. I agree that Pence will work to outlaw abortion in a way that is against Halacha; to destroy unions and worker protections; to dismantle environmental protections; and to do many other things that appall me, but I will sleep easier if Trump isn't around to start a nuclear war and to start regular wars by acting like a spoiled toddler.

Despite the fact that Pence is more in line with the politically conservative agenda than Trump, I don't see Congress working to remove Trump, unless we find out much, much worse things than what we currently suspect (such as, that Trump owes Russia, and therefore Putin, a very large sum of money, and is being blackmailed by him). Trump energizes the conservative base in ways that Pence does not, and the Republicans in Congress don't want to give that up.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics