Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Woodmere

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 9:13 pm
If you know anyone who lives in Woodmere or if you spend some time there, can you tell me about the area?
We're a young family seriously looking into buying a house in Woodmere (regular Woodmere, not North Woodmere).
We'd love to know more about all the different shuls, the average family age, and what kinds of people are moving there now Smile TIA!

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:18 am
Bump! Please help with any information about the neighborhood that you know!

rd0715

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 12:04 pm
We moved to Woodmere 4 months ago and I love it
its very nice and shuls are nice we are older couple
but my doughter moved last year and she also loves it

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 1:40 pm
I moved there 3 years ago and hate it. If you are super fancy you might like it, if not, I'd suggest elsewhere. Also, if you don't already know people here, it's very hard to make friends.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 1:55 pm
rd0715 wrote:
We moved to Woodmere 4 months ago and I love it
its very nice and shuls are nice we are older couple
but my doughter moved last year and she also loves it

Thanks! May I ask what schools your daughter sends her kids to?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
I moved there 3 years ago and hate it. If you are super fancy you might like it, if not, I'd suggest elsewhere. Also, if you don't already know people here, it's very hard to make friends.

I'm sorry Sad would you mind to tell me what you hate about it?
Also, could you explain 'super fancy?' We fit in to 'fancy' crowds, I guess, but we don't enjoy it and we were hoping to meet people who enjoy things other than being fancy.
Do your kids have nice friends?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:

Wow. This is my biggest fear about 5t but I have heard that Woodmere is supposed to be a bit more down to earth and more friendly than n woodmere.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry Sad would you mind to tell me what you hate about it?
Also, could you explain 'super fancy?' We fit in to 'fancy' crowds, I guess, but we don't enjoy it and we were hoping to meet people who enjoy things other than being fancy.
Do your kids have nice friends?

Everyone has to have the latest and greatest and always look amazing. Shul is like a fashion show, and people give you a once over to see if you're worth hanging out with. My kids are young so they play with other kids in their classes, not sure you can really call it friends. My oldest has started to notice what everyone has and has taking to asking for all sorts of things. We were one of the only ones in the class that didn't go away for winter break and he noticed and now is asking for a cool vacation for next time. I'm sure I'll be hearing the same for Pesach once Purim is over. I can't wait to move, but we bought and dh says we need to stay a few more years in order to make some money on the sale.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 3:16 pm
I live in woodmere. I would definitely say that if you don't already know people it will be very hard to fit in if you are "regular" people. If you are super pretty, rich, come from a well known family, or very sociable, you will make friends a little easier. Otherwise, it will likely be difficult. The under 35 crowd can be pretty snobby and many of the rich people consider themselves part of the elite class. I've lived in the area awhile.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 3:50 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone has to have the latest and greatest and always look amazing. Shul is like a fashion show, and people give you a once over to see if you're worth hanging out with. My kids are young so they play with other kids in their classes, not sure you can really call it friends. My oldest has started to notice what everyone has and has taking to asking for all sorts of things. We were one of the only ones in the class that didn't go away for winter break and he noticed and now is asking for a cool vacation for next time. I'm sure I'll be hearing the same for Pesach once Purim is over. I can't wait to move, but we bought and dh says we need to stay a few more years in order to make some money on the sale.

We lived there for five years. I cried every single day. I was not pretty enough, not thin enough, didn't dress well enough and was certainly not rich enough to fit in. I bless Hashem for giving us the wherewithal to get the he*l out of there.
But I just had to comment on your post-- I'll never forget the day my 4 year old came home from school and asked when we were breaking down our house and moving in with our bubby and zaidy in Brooklyn so we could build a palace. Her words exactly.
Fortunately, her bubby and zaidy live in Florida so at least she could tell people she was going there for Pesach!

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 4:01 pm
A little off topic but my neighbors wealthy friend came over and liked my dress . She asked me if I got it from a certain store in the 5 towns . I told her I got it online. She's like it was probably 10 dollars now mine is like 100.. what it is about some people that make me feel inferior?

rd0715

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 4:38 pm
I am the lady who posted the first reply. my doughtrr hasntwo young children andt they both go to school one to TAG and one to Yushiva katana
My doughter is not super fancy and super social but she has a lot of freinds for Shabbos
Her house is always full with people. I dont know maybe I just notice good thing around me.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
I live in woodmere. I would definitely say that if you don't already know people it will be very hard to fit in if you are "regular" people. If you are super pretty, rich, come from a well known family, or very sociable, you will make friends a little easier. Otherwise, it will likely be difficult. The under 35 crowd can be pretty snobby and many of the rich people consider themselves part of the elite class. I've lived in the area awhile.

🙁 I think we do fit those criteria but I was really hoping to hear that there is something more to the community than just being fancy... We were very much hoping that we would meet interesting, nice people. I guess I won't ask which shul you daven in.
This sounds like the Lawrence area...is there no difference?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
We lived there for five years. I cried every single day. I was not pretty enough, not thin enough, didn't dress well enough and was certainly not rich enough to fit in. I bless Hashem for giving us the wherewithal to get the he*l out of there.
But I just had to comment on your post-- I'll never forget the day my 4 year old came home from school and asked when we were breaking down our house and moving in with our bubby and zaidy in Brooklyn so we could build a palace. Her words exactly.
Fortunately, her bubby and zaidy live in Florida so at least she could tell people she was going there for Pesach!

I'm so sorry to hear that Sad that sounds like a very bad experience. I hope you are happy where you live now!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:15 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Hi! I’m wondering what area of woodmere you are talking about? Do I mean north woodmere? Or regular woodmere? And if so what part of woodmere? We are looking into the yeshiva gedola area which is supposed to be laid back and more wholesome. Is this true?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 1:09 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Hi! I’m wondering what area of woodmere you are talking about? Do I mean north woodmere? Or regular woodmere? And if so what part of woodmere? We are looking into the yeshiva gedola area which is supposed to be laid back and more wholesome. Is this true?

New poster here, but my experience was very similar to Green and Lavender. Regular Woodmere. Moved after three years, and not a moment too soon, I was literally suicidal by the time we left, and bh I have recovered. I did know two families in the yeshiva gedola area who were very nice and down to earth, neither of them stayed long term either, though I don't know whether it's because they didn't like it or because life took them elsewhere.

rd0715

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 3:37 pm
We live in a Saddle Rige area its very close to Yushiva gdola
and everybody that I know is very nice All my neibors are young couples with kids and they are very simple people. I think it all depends on a person
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries