Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
TT and stuttering - please advise!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:28 pm
My son was preemie. His is 3.5. We are training him and he is overall doing well (but some days he has a harder time than others). He hasn't had an accident all day today. YAY! He is very interested. He comes into my room everyday with his underwear asking when we can put them on!

But he started stuttering. I stutter too so I am worried. I know it can be developmental and it can pass (an older child of mine had that - but hers wasn't this bad). It has totally coincided with toilet training. Does it mean he isn't ready? I don't want to cause him hardship - or cause him a stutter than won't go away. Should I stop the TT even though he is interested?

Also, he can't go to camp this summer or school next year unless he is trained.

Thank you!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:39 pm
When ppl ask OT questions, there are many responses - both from OTs and not OTs.

No one has anything to say? mothers? SLPs?

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:48 pm
My ds is turning 3 soon and just done toilet training and also stuttering a lot. Not just stuttering but also looks very confused and unsure of himself when he's trying to say something. His Morah said it's normal for the stuttering to occur at this age, though I have no idea if it's connected to the toilet training. I'm gonna still wait a few weeks if the stuttering is still around by pesach I'll see a speech therapist about it. Until then I try to be super patient with ds and when he stutters I just calmly look into his eyes and silently wait for him to try to get out the words. I don't rush him or try to finish his sentence, I want him to get the words out on his own however long it takes.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:51 pm
SingALong wrote:
My ds is turning 3 soon and just done toilet training and also stuttering a lot. Not just stuttering but also looks very confused and unsure of himself when he's trying to say something. His Morah said it's normal for the stuttering to occur at this age, though I have no idea if it's connected to the toilet training. I'm gonna still wait a few weeks if the stuttering is still around by pesach I'll see a speech therapist about it. Until then I try to be super patient with ds and when he stutters I just calmly look into his eyes and silently wait for him to try to get out the words. I don't rush him or try to finish his sentence, I want him to get the words out on his own however long it takes.

Thank you!

Right, we are not bring attention to it and we are ignoring it and being patient, etc. He did so well today, but I am worried the TT is stressing him. The timing is impeccable. It got worse the same week we upped the TT.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 1:55 am
Stuttering can be hereditary. The timing could be coincidental. A speech eval is never a bad thing.

You can always try to ease off the rush to TT, just by being more relaxed about it. Allow a few more accidents, and follow his cues, instead of trying to cue him. See if there is a change or not.

I agree with not noticing his stuttering, and being extra patient. DH stutters when he is stressed or nervous, and I never say a word. IMHO, that would just be cruel.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 1:40 pm
Stuttering does correlate with anxiety.

My son started stuttering at age of 2, in response to starting day care. Stuttering runs in the family.

Baruch Hashem, patience and more patience paid off. Continued speech therapy. Modeled and created and environment of safe, slow and calm speech. By age 6new year teacher didn't notice it. He became fluent.

Fast forward to age 11, when comes across new big words he complains that he is stuttering. We never used the terminology to him when he was young. Just interesting that it's wired.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training