Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sensitive to tomatoes - need cure or ketchup replacement!
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 11:42 pm
DD has been getting dots around her mouth that are apparently related to tomatoes. She likes tomatoes but took that in stride - until it came to ketchup. She NEEEEEDS ketchup. What's more, there are many foods that she will only eat with added ketchup. We thought maybe the sensitivity might be only to raw tomatoes and maybe ketchup would be exempt, so we did a little trial and you should have seen the meltdown when the dots started to appear on her chin. Poor kid.

Is there any way to counteract the sensitivity? It seems to be more of an irritation and not an actual allergy so there's room to try things.

Any suggestions of what she can dip things in that don't involve ketchup or anything tomatoey? Cannot involve mustard either because we have a very severe mustard allergy in the house. Dairy ideas are fine but nondairy even better because she ALWAYS puts ketchup on meat and chicken. And macaroni and spaghetti and eggs and pizza and... oh dear, this is going to be a disaster Sad

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 11:57 pm
this looks good. http://janeshealthykitchen.com.....chup/

otherwise - try a bottled sweet and sour sauce?

reality mom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:18 am
That looks great!
Wish it would come ready- made. My daughter is also very sensitive to tomatoes or anything acidic.
Good luck OP.
Btw, there are certain tomatoes, such as cherry tomatoes (not grape!) or tomatoes that are sun ripened that are significantly less acidic than their lesser expensive counterparts. You may want to do some research there and perhaps try making your own ketchup somehow?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:21 am
Wow! This looks interesting goldenrod. Will try it iy'H.
Seeker, I do a butternut squash sauce for pasta.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:24 am
Sorry, that's really rough to be allergic to one of your favorite foods. Rather than trying to replace ketchup directly, what if you tried to find another totally different sauce/spread that she loved just as much? Maybe you could try a bunch of different aiolis and she could pick her favorite? If she were involved in helping make them, she might be even more into it. Good luck!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:46 am
Open to any suggestion for replacement. Need not resemble ketchup, just as long as it might make her happy and get her to eat normal food again.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:50 am
if does not need to resemble ketchup - (tangy sweet) then there are lots of sauces/spreads to choose from. I squeeze mayo on many many things.. (much to the disgust of DH).

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:53 am
I know you won't like this one seeker, but it tastes similar to ketchup. I use brown rice syrup instead of corn syrup.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=20

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:55 am
amother wrote:
if does not need to resemble ketchup - (tangy sweet) then there are lots of sauces/spreads to choose from. I squeeze mayo on many many things.. (much to the disgust of DH).

Start listing Smile

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:58 am
Just in response to your "seems like an irritation more than an allergy" comment, I had that reaction toward other fruit that I liked, and mentioned that to my allergist when visiting about other things.

He told me it's not good to eat stuff you're getting reactions to- it is a mild allergic reaction but it's causing your immune system to act up which is not very healthy.

An allergist might, however, be able to give allergy shots to your dd, which could help.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 1:01 am
seeker wrote:
Start listing Smile

What does she like? I love hotpeppers. Made a hot pepper,/ pickle dip for shabbos and using it during the week in sandwiches etc
Spinach/broccoli dip with chicken patties.
Tehina with my cutlets.
(Have lots of food intolerances myself so these worked for me with homemade mayo).
Dill dip with fish.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 1:04 am
seeker wrote:
Start listing Smile

These are kosher. http://www.ironchefproducts.com but some appear to have mustard as an ingredient. Doesn't your local shop have shelves of bottled sauces?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 1:06 am
Does she react to tomatoes or only to messy tomato products? Is the problem eating the food or getting the sauce on her face?

My daughter had a skin reaction similar to what you described, but it was an irritation rather than an allergy. Getting her to eat more neatly combined with wiping her face immediately if she got sauce around her mouth helped immensely, as did applying Aveeno eczema cream around her mouth after meals. She eventually outgrew the sensitivity B"H.

If that doesn't help then I guess you need to experiment with different sauces. It's annoying but you don't have to find one perfect condiment that works for everything. Mayo is versatile, especially when combined with other ingredients. Mayo mixed with lemon juice and a little dill is great with fish or plain grilled chicken. DH prefers to eat meat or chicken with salad dressing. I grew up eating scrambled eggs with jam, which sounds gross but is surprisingly tasty.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 2:30 am
Sweet chilli sauce?

Am in two minds about suggesting this because of all the sugar but, oh well...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 6:41 am
Some use "duck sauce" (don't ask me what it is or if it's parve though) or peanut butter (I don't own them).

Jalapeno sauces are very trendy this winter.

Sauces I always loved are béarnaise, mayo (with meat, fries, asparagus... just not traditional Jewish food), cocktail, bbq (several types), vinaigrette on fries

Always check if a sauce is parve, and if there is tomato.

MyTimeNow

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 8:46 am
Garlic mayo?
Also, I seem to have the recollection that you're in brooklyn. Can you get to a Schnizti-type place and ask for a sampling of their dips/sauces? I'm sure if you stop in at an off-peak hour and explain your dilemma, they'd be helpful.
Hatzlacha, you're in a challenging spot with this.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:16 am
Here are some bottled non-tomato ketchups. You would have to research each individually and check if its still available and kosher (or ask Rabbi for heter if it doesnt have appropriate hechsher)

http://www.thenibble.com/REVIE.....9.asp

http://restaurant.chefallens.c.....=1001

http://www.nomato.com/products.htm

MyUsername

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 3:12 pm
Garlic mayo (add garlic powder to regular mayo)
Teriyaki sauce
Soy Sauce
BBQ Sauce (if no tomatoes in ingredients)
Thousand Island dressing (if no tomatoes in ingredients)
Italian dressing

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 3:21 pm
Chutney? Mango or apricot

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
this looks good. http://janeshealthykitchen.com.....chup/

otherwise - try a bottled sweet and sour sauce?

Would love to try this one for pesach but we don't use apple cider vinegar :/ anyone think I can just use more lemon juice?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics