Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Computer files

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 9:50 pm
I have files and backups and downloads everywhere from my last few computers/memory drives/jobs/etc and I decided it is time to clean up. Bought myself a new external hard drive with cloud backup and I am going to move things over one by one so they can be in some kind of order.

Please share any digital organization tips you can think of! This is going to be a big job!

Particularly unsure how to sort teaching materials. I have tried different ways in the past. What I really need is more of a tagging system than a file folder system because there's so much overlap in how you could categorize things - subjects, topics, skills, levels... Hypnotized

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 10:17 pm
Don't know much about Windows but do they have the equivalent of what are called aliases in the Mac world. That creates the name of the file but not the a duplicate of the file so that you can file the alias in however many places yu want and it will open the original file.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 10:26 pm
I guess that would be like a shortcut... not a bad idea! I never thought of using a shortcut that way. I wonder if I do that, does it matter where I put the original file?

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 11:00 pm
It doesn't matter in the Mac. The only thing is that the alias tracks back to the original document so if you move the original document, the alias can't find it.

When I use it, I think of putting the original file in the broadest category and the aliases in the subcategories like a metaphor for a filing cabinet. The MAC OS has always used the kind of filing system with actual names of documents and file folders etc so I just filed on ,y computer more or less the way I used to do with paper files
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics