Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DS grinds his teeth...

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 8:12 am
My ds is one and grinds his teeth. Has this happened with anyone else? I heard that it's really bad for the teeth and I don't want those precious baby teeth to get messed up. Any advice?

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 8:23 am
Wow, my dh and I were just talking about this this morning. DS also grinds his teeth. It runs in my family (I and my mother did too) When I was a kid, I went to a dentist who gave me a rubber mouthpiece (like football players wear) to guard the teeth at night. I don't know what the minimum age is for these, but talk to your dentist.

Seraph

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 8:46 am
I still grind my teeth.

Yocheved_G

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 9:23 am
I asked my dental hygenist about this, and she told me that, unlike permanent, adult teeth, baby teeth do not align and sit on top of each other. Instead, the baby teeth touch each other and therefore it sounds like the teeth are grinding, but really it is just the normal way the teeth rest on each other.

Just to be sure though, maybe you should check with his doctor, especially since it runs in your family.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 9:44 am
some people actually grind/rub their top teeth with the bottom in a back and forth motion ... while they sleep yet ... my dd did this ... and yes she still does ... she needed braces anyway ... don't see a remarkable dif bet her and my others teeth ...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 9:49 am
it's an unhealthy annoyinghabit. def. tell your dentist.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 9:51 am
hey I have asked about my dd many times ... and the dentist always said she was fine ...

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 1:05 am
Thanks for the responses - it doesn't run in my family and it's definitely not normal alignment issues - he clicks them. Not all of the time, just sometimes and to be honest it drives me crazy! It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. No, I do not respond badly which would prob. get him to do it more often - I can hear him from the other room doing it! As for a dentist - he hasn't even been to one yet - he's 1! Though of course, when did you bring your kids in to see a dentist for the first time?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:12 am
Ask your own dentist if you need a referreal to a pediatric dentist.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 11:53 pm
So, I finally talked to ds's doctor and he said that it's a habit that kids usu. grow out of within a few weeks - month. But it is also linked to having an iron deficiency so I should def. make sure to be giving him vitamins w/ iron. I wasn't giving him vitamins embarrassed so I feel ultra guilty. I've been giving them for a few days already and no more grinding! I don't know if he just outgrew it, or the vitamins helped that quickly. Either way, YAY! I hope this helps if this happens to anyone else.

saboni

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 11:59 pm
When are you supposed to give vitamins? My doctor never mentioned it, and my baby is a few months past 1.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 12:05 am
I think my doctor said from birth? but I could never get ds to take them b/c they are really gross. Later I tried it in applesauce, but then he wouldn't eat the applesauce. Maybe the doc said 6 mths., I don't remember, but I always felt guilty for not giving them and now, I have a reason to feel guilty. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics