Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No Pesach Kitchen and Turn Over Late
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:34 am
At work people are talking about the Pesach cakes and soups they have in their freezers, buying the meats that are in sale, baking and freezing, cleaning chickens and freezing. I'm starting to feel like the only one without a Pesach kitchen!
I cannot deal with cranky kids telling me there is "nothing" to eat, so I turn over my kitchen a few days before Pesach. It only gives me two or three days to cook but we keep it simple and I will cook on Tom tov if I have to.
Is there anyone else out there who does not have a Pesach kitchen and doesn't turn over early? (Or turn over now for a week and cook, then go BACK to chokers and turn back over right before Tom tov - that idea would NEVER work for me!)

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:37 am
Yes. This is what my family does. It works out well for us

mha3484

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:37 am
Me three

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:41 am
We don't have a pesach kitchen but do kasher a week before so that I can start cooking.
We serve regular delicious food the week before. One night we eat out, many nights we serve KLP chicken, meat, hot dogs and then serve the food inside a baguette or bun outdoors so we don't feel deprived of Chometz. We have kitniyus items to nosh on that we're comfortable having at home but wouldn't eat on YT.
There's a middle way. Tongue Out
Just have everything planned out on lists so that you run on schedule and don't fall behind.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:41 am
I have no pesach kitchen, turning over wed evening this year, usually do 3 days before, and will still keep a chometz microwave and cheese toaster until friday. Can't do extra days of pesach, and we do no baking at all.

cm

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:42 am
Yes, me too. Pesach does not require a second kitchen.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:51 am
there is no need to keep pesach for an entire month ... use a toaster oven & coffee machine or hot water urn in a corner of the living room or porch or something ... now you have access to hot food ~ voila

try to use up what you have in the house - it helps clean down chometz things and make room for pesach stuff ...
carry on cleaning for pesach ...

pause

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:52 am
In a year like this one, if you turn over before Shabbas, how do you do shabbas hagadol? Fully pesach'dig except the challah?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:14 pm
pause wrote:
In a year like this one, if you turn over before Shabbas, how do you do shabbas hagadol? Fully pesach'dig except the challah?

No matter when pesach falls out, we always cook pesachdik for shabbos hagadol. We serve regular delicious shabbos food (dips, salmon, gelfite, chicken soup, klp croutons, meat, roasted baby potatoes, salad, yapsuk, eggs, cold cuts, liver) and eat the challah either outside or if there aren't many little ones around then bent over a plastic tablecloth that we roll up after and throw out.
Even if you don't usually eat such foods on pesach, you can still cook and/or serve them before. My aunt hardly eats anything on pesach but enjoys buying pesach takeout food for shabbos hagadol and doesn't feel deprived.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:03 pm
Yes. But B"H I only had to do that a couple of times. Other years we were invited out for sedarim and/or first days so I didn't really need to cook in advance because you can cook on yomtov. So I turn over shortly before yomtov and do my cooking as I go along. Some people hate this because they don't want to spend yomtov cooking but for me it's worth it - I have a small family and am comfortable with simple meals, and the amount of pre-yomtov stress it spares me is worth the world.

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:15 pm
pause wrote:

Yes and we do kitniot too

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:00 pm
We don't have a Pesach kitchen but we do have 2 sinks. We turn over the fleishik side early and the milchik side late. That way we can still enjoy our chometz! The Shabbos before Pesach we will start the meals with challah at our milchik table and then continue in the dining room.

Greenfire's setting up camp in the living room is a similar approach if you have only one sink.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:04 pm
Good for you for doing what works for your family and not keeping up with the Joneses/Schwartzes Pesach goals...

Happens to be some of my best childhood memories are getting hot steaming pizza every second day from Mendelsohn's for two weeks before Pesach. Delicious... But if your family wants homemade food and you can manage turning over with a short cooking window, why not?

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:20 pm
pause wrote:

Yes, that's what I always do. I buy ready dips and challah, the rest I cook KLP.

I always kasher/turn over on motzei a wk before shabbos hagadol. Usually that gives me a good 2 wks to cook. This yr will be a bit tight as it'll be less than 2 wks.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:03 pm
Thankfully, we have the minhag of only refraining from matza on erev Pesach. Shabbos Hagadol this year will be KLP only in the house.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:09 pm
I turn over about a week before Pesach. I keep some chometz in the freezer, very well bagged, and we keep a microwave in our front room just feet away from the door so the kids can make nachos, real chometz, etc. It's kind of crazy, how we have the chometz set up in our front room, not far from the kitchen, but as long as the youngest kids in the house are mature teenagers or close to it, it's worked for us.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:22 pm
yksraya wrote:
Yes, that's what I always do. I buy ready dips and challah, the rest I cook KLP.

I always kasher/turn over on motzei a wk before shabbos hagadol. Usually that gives me a good 2 wks to cook. This yr will be a bit tight as it'll be less than 2 wks.

So you don't make a bean cholent?

myself

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:29 pm
pause wrote:
So you don't make a bean cholent?

I haven't yet thought about what I'm going to do this year, but I have used a disposable pot for the cholent in the past when it contained kitniyos.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:35 pm
If I finish turning over before it's time for bedikat chametz I consider myself lucky. And no, I don't have a second kitchen! In previous years I *did* have a spare freezer, but not even that any more. In theory I'm supposed to go shopping next Monday; not sure I'll be able to have fridge/freezer ready so may not be any point. I usually spend erev Pesach cooking. I won't leave the gas on for YT cooking so I have to be done ahead of time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:46 pm
Very similar to Marion's answers. I usually turn over maybe two days before. I cook the day before. Thats that. No second kitchen (how many people out there actually even have that?) And we do just fine.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics