Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbat in Brookline - parking?

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 11:32 pm
A friend of a friend offered me a place to stay in Brookline next Shabbat and I happily accepted and cancelled a hotel reservation. Now I found out that overnight parking in Brookline is next to impossible. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to park overnight/over Shabbat? I am really stressing out over this!

doctorima

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 11:42 pm
There are several shuls in the area. Maybe call and ask them if they have extra room in their parking lots.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:04 am
There is plenty of overnight parking in Brighton, for example chestnut hill Ave assuming there is no game going on

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:32 pm
Where is Brookline? Depending on where you will be, advice will vary. Did you ask yet if they have a driveway or parking spot you can use?

cm

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:15 pm
Definitely ask your host if the "place to stay" includes parking.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:20 pm
Host does not have a spot. I am closer to Fenway. Will look into the shuls. Thanks all!

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:02 pm
Closest to Fenway is probably YI of Brookline. There's also some kosher restaurants in the area, on Harvard St. Perhaps you could arrange to leave your car in one of their lots over Shabbos.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:42 pm
Oy-- this is a hard one! I don't think any of rhe restaurants (except Reuben's, may it RIP!) have parking lots...

I would ask your hosts to give you a hand on this one. Can they post on a local list serve asking for help from a friendly neighbor? It could be that a neighbor has a long driveway and room for an extra car.
Two more ideas:
1) aren't there apps for things like this-- where people can rent out space in their garage/driveway for short or longer periods of time?

2) find a random lot anywhere that allows overnight parking (probably will end up being privately owned, not a municipal one), park there and if needed, take a cab or the T to your host. Not cheap, but still cheaper than paying for a hotel room!!

Eemaof3

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:06 am
My host if only there a few times a week (she works in Boston part time) so she does not have relationships in the area. I will look into apps - may have someone who can even help with that one. Random lot is looking more likely. Anyone know about Longwood garage? It says for patients and visitors but also labels it "public parking". Just would hate to get towed!

cm

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:42 am
I have never used an app for overnight parking, but frequently for daytime. Spot Hero is my go-to, although there are many and I don't know if one is better than another. Spots are often in private lots. Good luck!

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:18 am
I've had good luck with Spothero and Parking Whiz. If using either one, first look online for signup bonuses to get a discount on your first use.

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:58 pm
Thanks ladies for the help. Got something through Spothero and used a discount from Retailmenot. Great relief!!

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:32 pm
Shavua tov! Who wants to hear irony? Our journey to Brookline took much longer than usual (like 50% more!) and then my friend and I could not connect due to phone issues. I wound up getting a room at a local hotel at the very last minute. Luckily they were able to give us a refrigerator and we had already gotten food. I still used the parking spot I had already paid for which fortunately is very close to the hotel. We were exhausted last night but had a lovely davening experience this morning. At least something finally came together well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics