Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Beer dated 10/24/16, use or toss?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:02 pm
I have about six bottles of Miller Lite beer dated 10/24/16. Would it still be safe to drink, or should I toss?

maidale

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:04 pm
Totally safe. That date is the 'sell by' date. Product is still ok for a good while after.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:34 pm
I would toss ( I wouldn't take chances)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:47 pm
There's a chance that the components have broken down and it doesn't taste good anymore. In all likelihood it's still fine. Taste and serve.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:04 pm
My husband says to open it and taste it

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:20 pm
Taste it. If you like beer, that is. (All beer tastes and smells to me like horse pee, or rather the way I imagine horse pee tastes, so I wouldn't know the difference.) if it tastes ok, great. If not, cook chicken or meat in it, or use it as shampoo. Supposedly the carbohydrates coat your hair and make it look thicker. Assuming you don't mind smelling like a distillery, that is. (I'm told the smell evaporates and you don't actually end up smelling like a distillery or a stable yard, but I've never tested the veracity of this assertion.)

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:31 pm
If it's Miller Lite it should be tossed even if before the sell by date LOL In all seriousness, it's not dangerous but it probably wouldn't taste so good by now. You could taste it before making a decision- maybe it still tastes fine or at least good enough to toss in the cholent.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:34 pm
Why would you cook w bad tasting beer? Isn't that just a way to ruin good food?

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Why would you cook w bad tasting beer? Isn't that just a way to ruin good food?
nopes. I hate beer but once got a can for MM. I knew you could cook chicken in wine and figured beer should work the same way. One of the best chicken dishes I ever made. You know that stale wine is excellent for cooking, right? Well so is stale beer.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:07 pm
Thanks. I learned something- we also got beer in MM and no one here drinks it. Looks like Shabbat dinner could "chicken beer surprise"

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks. I learned something- we also got beer in MM and no one here drinks it. Looks like Shabbat dinner could "chicken beer surprise"
you will enjoy it.

sequoia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:33 pm
zaq wrote:
Taste it. If you like beer, that is. (All beer tastes and smells to me like horse pee, or rather the way I imagine horse pee tastes, so I wouldn't know the difference.) if it tastes ok, great. If not, cook chicken or meat in it, or use it as shampoo. Supposedly the carbohydrates coat your hair and make it look thicker. Assuming you don't mind smelling like a distillery, that is. (I'm told the smell evaporates and you don't actually end up smelling like a distillery or a stable yard, but I've never tested the veracity of this assertion.)

Excellent ideas.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:27 am
I'd say send it to me ... but who drinks piss light beer ... lemme know when you find heineken

I've heard it makes your hair shine [but you might smell like a drunken/homeless person]

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 3:16 am
We have a good amount of beer left over from a simcha. DH has begun making beer bread, which is incredibly delicious especially when served warm. No need for yeast because the beer itself does the work.

Oh, and I can't stand the taste of beer as a beverage but it's yummy in baked or cooked form.

Zaq, do you have a recipe for the beer chicken?

Amother because we have been bringing beer bread to various family meals and I don't want to out myself.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:14 am
I don't like more than a sip or two, but it adds so much to vegetarian chili! I can post the recipe I use, if you're interested.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:

Zaq, do you have a recipe for the beer chicken?.

Wish I did. If I remember correctly I just put the chicken in a pan, sprinkled generously with the old faithful trio of garlic, onion, pepper, maybe a little bit of cinnamon, poured the can of beer all over and baked in the oven. Probably covered with foil in the beginning and then remove the foil towards the end so that the chicken could brown.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen