Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakewood Realtor and nice neighborhood Wanted

DVOM

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:50 pm
After ten years of very careful saving and very frugal living, my husband and I think we are ready to buy a house. We met this morning with a mortgage company, who confirmed for us that we will be able to get a very good mortgage (whatever that means!), and also helped us figure out what we can spend. We've been in a little basement apartment since we got married. We share our apartment with four boys, many thousands of lego menchies, lots of very important collections of rocks and bugs, and loads of essential 'projects' that cant be moved, or touched, or even breathed on. It's really exciting to think about having more space! Also kind of overwhelming though...

Looks like we can afford something in the 225-275 thousand dollar range. We live in Lakewood, and don't mind moving to the very outskirts of Jackson or toms river or brick. We've heard that houses are much more affordable there.

Does anyone have a realtor that they'd recommend? Friends have told us that many realtors are only interested in servicing people with a much bigger budgets than ours. We’d like to work with someone very honest, and also someone who will respect our budget. We’re not interested in looking at houses that we can’t afford.

Also, any neighborhood recommendations? Have you or a sibling or friend brought a house in this price range in any of the Lakewood ‘suburbs’? Are you happy in your neighborhood? We're trying to get a picture of where we might fit in.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by DVOM on Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:35 pm
PSA: It might help you to put Lakewood into your title if you are looking in the Lakewood area. You may get more on-target responses that way.

You don't say a ton about what type of neighborhood you are looking for. Based on your price range and description of your little boys, I would recommend the Brookwood neighborhood in Jackson. It's close to Lakewood, it's warm and friendly and young.

One of my siblings lives in that neighborhood, and she got a better deal on a house without going thru a specific realtor. I would advise you to drive thru the neighborhood with your husband, and note the For Sale signs. Also look into the Voice and BP real estate sections. Look at the different options and prices, and try to zero in on what you are looking for and what appeals to you, before you talk to a trying-to-sell-it-to-you-at-all-cost agent.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:59 pm
I would also say Brookwood - nice young couples, not crazy expensive homes.
I believe you drive down county line rd, on the right, before the Jackson coop. (my sense of direction is really bad so I take no responsibility for getting lost)

We are also looking and I'm finding prices in Jackson and Toms River to also be high.

but do look into realtors before working with them and don't just call a listing agent. We did that on a house and it was a major mistake - we were told lie after lie (have them all documented) - were given crazy run around stories - and treated like a piece of garbage. I"m still reeling from the experience.

Good luck.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:18 pm
I would highly recommend Chaim Teitlebaum as a realtor. We bought in Jackson on a limited budget and he was wonderful... Honest, mentchlich, and very knowledgeable. He was familiar with zoning laws, structural stuff etc

DVOM

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:19 pm
Thanks for the replies, Sky and Chayalle. I've never even heard of brookwood. The search begins! The voice and PB generally go straight in the trash, or get repurposed for the aforementioned 'projects'. I'm going to have to see if I can rescue them.
I adjusted my post title, hopefully I'll get more 'hits'. Thanks!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:24 pm
Avigail Josilowsky from Remax is a very knowledagble and good realtor. A pleasure to work with. 732 606 6645.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:36 pm
to get to brookwood and have a look around - driven down county line road, and immediately after the pine park entrance (on the left), make a right onto brookwood parkway.

You will see bunch of streets off of brookwood parkway with the names of states: Montana, Arizona, California, Maine, etc....

You will see For Sale signs all over the neighborhood. Ask around which streets have frum families - I know of a few on California, for example.

The neighborhood is very friendly, has nshei gatherings, both Bnos and Pirchei-type groups on Shabbos, so there are plenty of little boys and girls. I believe there are already two minyanim on Shabbos.

Hatzlacha!

DVOM

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:45 pm
This is very helpful information-- thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating