Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Work for relatives

Seraph

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:02 pm
Would you work for relatives?

I work for my sister in law, and think its great. But sometimes I wonder if it may ever get akward if she has a problem with something I'm doing, and may not want me to work for her anymore.
But then again, we have a close relationship, so if she needs to tell me to improve something, she can.
Then again, my SIL and I are very close and it gets weird sometimes that she's the "boss" at times and at other times we're on equal terms.
Then again, I love working for her because then I get to see her and my neice and nephews very often...

How about you? Do you/would you work for relatives? If so, does it make a difference to you which relative it would be and the circumstances?

Squash

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:27 am
I guess it depends who the people are (both employer and employee) and personalities, etc.

There's a yiddish saying "mit mishpucha est men kigel" (with your family you should eat kugel) meaning, never mix business with family.

CAYA

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:31 am
I wouldn't start up with family, no matter what personalities are involved

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:04 am
I have always worked for family run busineses and despised it. DH too.

loveit

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:09 am
I have never worked with family members but I think it is possible to do it. I think it just requires a very careful balance and it depends on the relationship. I don't think it's impossible, just difficult and in the end, it may not be worth it if it's possible to jeapardize the family relationship.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 11:37 pm
I would love to work for/with some relatives, but others may be too perfectionist for me LOL
Dh and I are thinking of working together btw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics