Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  1  2  3  17  18  19  Next

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:04 am
Hi,
I asked this question in the other thread but I think people got tired of that thread...
When do they send out the first round of acceptance/rejection letters?
What happens after that?
Is it true that MOST girls don't get in anywhere initially, and only find out at the end of August where they're going? Or is that just a handful of girls?
Please guide me, I need to know what to realistically expect.
Thank you!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:42 am
There's no such thing as a rejection letter.

There are acceptance letters, in rounds. So if you don't get a response in round one, you might get one in round two, or you might never get one.

I think they usually send the first round close to Pesach. It gives people time to make decisions, and the kids aren't in school much to yent about who got in and who didn't.

I remember in DD's year it came a bit earlier - maybe just after Purim - and her teacher (one smart lady) told the students that if anyone asks if you got into high school, give them a look you'd give someone who asked to see your green horns. Or something like that.

I think most girls will get an acceptance in round one, but often it is not necessarily where they wanted to go. Hence the frantic calls and decisions start....should I accept the school that accepted me, or push for acceptance in round two....

It is usually only a handful of girls that are still dealing with acceptance to high school in August.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:50 am
Thank you Chayalle, that's exactly what I needed to know!

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:57 am
One more question - when you say "round two", what does that mean? When is that?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:35 am
Basically, when acceptance letters go out, the girls usually have about a week to accept the high school and give a deposit (about $300, and it counts toward tuition.)

As soon as the date for deposits passes, the school will evaluate their number of slots, and then send out round two of acceptance letters.

So usually, round 1 and 2 will be 2-3 weeks apart.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:53 am
Chayalle wrote:
Basically, when acceptance letters go out, the girls usually have about a week to accept the high school and give a deposit (about $300, and it counts toward tuition.)

As soon as the date for deposits passes, the school will evaluate their number of slots, and then send out round two of acceptance letters.

So usually, round 1 and 2 will be 2-3 weeks apart.

You've been very helpful, thank you!

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:38 pm
Two more questions: Let's say, a girl applies to 4 schools. She likes two of them, but still didn't decide which one she wants to go to more. She gets an acceptance letter from one of the two and waits some more, and on the third day sends a deposit to that school (because she doesn't know whether she's accepted anywhere else), but the next day she gets an acceptance letter from the other one. How do you know that you won't get any more letters (within the week that you have to reply)?
Are the girls who get acceptance letters in round two, ones who didn't get accepted to any school in round one?

debsey

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:48 pm
1525 wrote:
Two more questions: Let's say, a girl applies to 4 schools. She likes two of them, but still didn't decide which one she wants to go to more. She gets an acceptance letter from one of the two and waits some more, and on the third day sends a deposit to that school (because she doesn't know whether she's accepted anywhere else), but the next day she gets an acceptance letter from the other one. How do you know that you won't get any more letters (within the week that you have to reply)?
Are the girls who get acceptance letters in round two, ones who didn't get accepted to any school in round one?

Usually you talk to the elementary school principal, who can guide you. You say "She got into Bais Plonis, which is a wonderful school, but she was really hoping for Bnos Almonis. Do you know if she still has a shot at Bnos Almonis? If she does, that's what she really wants." and the principal finds out if she's at the top of the second round or not. But if "Bnos Almonis" is one of the really sought after schools, there basically is no round two, because those few slots of round 2 are probably already promised to people.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:40 pm
does anyone know when acceptance letters are going out?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 11:46 pm
??

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
There's no such thing as a rejection letter.

There are acceptance letters, in rounds. So if you don't get a response in round one, you might get one in round two, or you might never get one.

I think they usually send the first round close to Pesach. It gives people time to make decisions, and the kids aren't in school much to yent about who got in and who didn't.

I remember in DD's year it came a bit earlier - maybe just after Purim - and her teacher (one smart lady) told the students that if anyone asks if you got into high school, give them a look you'd give someone who asked to see your green horns. Or something like that.

I think most girls will get an acceptance in round one, but often it is not necessarily where they wanted to go. Hence the frantic calls and decisions start....should I accept the school that accepted me, or push for acceptance in round two....

It is usually only a handful of girls that are still dealing with acceptance to high school in August.

That's a lie

I received a letter a few years ago..

Dear Mrs H?

Thgank you for your interest in Bk.
Etc....

Unfortunately. Due to space constraints we are unable to accept ... At this time
We wish you much hatzlacha

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
That's a lie

I received a letter a few years ago..

Dear Mrs H?

Thgank you for your interest in Bk.
Etc....

Unfortunately. Due to space constraints we are unable to accept ... At this time
We wish you much hatzlacha

I got one from them too. I respect them for that. It's better than just being ignore by the other schools.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:45 am
Wow that's something new. I never heard of rejection letters. When my oldest DD applied we did not hear a word from the school she did not get in to. My own personal preference would have been to get a letter, so we'd know our options right away and not wonder if something is coming in the mail or not....and I've discussed this with several friends who have said the same thing, they'd rather get a letter than silence.

I'm sorry if my post was misleading. It was based on my own experience and others I know.

Have they sent out acceptance/not letters this year yet?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 12:05 am
Letters are coming out Tuesday, Rosh Chodesh.
Over 200 girls didn't get in and most only got into one school. It's a real problem this year they don't know where they are going to find slots for the rest of the girls.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Letters are coming out Tuesday, Rosh Chodesh.
Over 200 girls didn't get in and most only got into one school. It's a real problem this year they don't know where they are going to find slots for the rest of the girls.

How do you have all of this information?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 12:13 am
Know someone involved.

I don't know if it means that they are mailing it Tuesday and girls will get it Wednesday or Thursday or that it's being mailed Sunday so girls will get it Tuesday.

Ilovemaryland

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 12:14 am
There's always Bais Yacob of Greater Washington... Any girl who comes there from Lakewood says she got a much better education..

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 1:04 am
A lot of parents want their daughters to live at home it may be a great option if a girl was looking to dorm.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 9:06 am
I just heard yesterday that it was decided to delay answers until after Pesach.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 9:47 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:
There's always Bais Yacob of Greater Washington... Any girl who comes there from Lakewood says she got a much better education..

yes, the great out of town, where everyone is warm and caring. Guess what? If 100 families would move there from Lakewood, they would also start being picky. Any place with lots of frum families has this problem, but when it comes to chessed, Lakewood cant be beat.
Page 1 of 19   1  2  3  17  18  19  Next Recent Topics