Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Vegan sephardic diabetic friendly challah

Kiraalexz

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 11:47 am
Hi everyone,
I recently married an Iraqi man and I'm looking to make Challah for his family which includes a diabetic and a vegan. I'm looking for a recipe for egg free Challah (vegan) that uses little oil and sugar - or uses Stevia in place of sugar. I've been playing around with replacing oil with apple sauce and sugar with Stevia. It works and tastes good, but I struggle to get the fluffy texture. Or when I get the fluffy texture, it lacks a punch of taste.
Any advice or recipes to share? Really want to impress them Wink

As a working girl, time for baking awesome challah is limited. So huge bonus if anyone has a recipe I can make (dough wise) in the bread machine. I'm trying to avoid having to let the dough rise for 2 hours to re-kneed and rise again a second time. I expect to bake it in the oven after it rises in bread machine.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 12:12 pm
You might do the best with either baguette dough in the bread machine or no knead bread that is baked at a high temperature in a covered dish with herbs/olives or garlic

Kiraalexz

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 12:32 pm
tichellady wrote:
You might do the best with either baguette dough in the bread machine or no knead bread that is baked at a high temperature in a covered dish with herbs/olives or garlic

Thank you. That's a great idea. Any good no kneed dough recipes? Or spices to recommend I include?

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:12 pm
I will post when I have a chance

L K

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:23 pm
A friend of mine replaces sugar with xylitol. Would it work for you?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:23 pm
Kiraalexz wrote:
Hi everyone,
I recently married an Iraqi man and I'm looking to make Challah for his family which includes a diabetic and a vegan. I'm looking for a recipe for egg free Challah (vegan) that uses little oil and sugar - or uses Stevia in place of sugar. I've been playing around with replacing oil with apple sauce and sugar with Stevia. It works and tastes good, but I struggle to get the fluffy texture. Or when I get the fluffy texture, it lacks a punch of taste.
Any advice or recipes to share? Really want to impress them Wink

As a working girl, time for baking awesome challah is limited. So huge bonus if anyone has a recipe I can make (dough wise) in the bread machine. I'm trying to avoid having to let the dough rise for 2 hours to re-kneed and rise again a second time. I expect to bake it in the oven after it rises in bread machine.

For a diabetic, the biggest problems are the sugar and the flour. Oil has calories, but not carbs, so its not going to affect blood sugar. So I'd keep the oil, and go from there.

Sorry, no recipes.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:45 pm
You are so sweet to try to accommodate everyone, but it might be too hard to please everyone in one recipe. Is it possible to make two different types of challah, one for the vegan with no eggs or honey and one for the diabetic that's low carb and low sugar? You can freeze challahs if you end up with too much, although maybe right before Pesach isn't the best time for that.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 2:04 pm
I'll give you my recipe. It can easily be halved.

2kg flour (I do half ww)
2T salt
2T baking enhancer
1-1 1/2C sugar
3T dry yeast
2/3 C oil (canola or olive)
About 5 C warm water.

Mix the yeast with 2T sugar and dissolve in 1 cup of very warm water.
In the mixing bowl blend together all the remaining dry ingredients then make a large well in the center. When the yeast has proofed, dump it into the well then add the rest of the water and the oil. Stir it in until it's thick enough to start kneading. Ad up to one more cup of water if it seems to dry or hard. It should be a soft stretchy dough. If you add too much and it gets sticky, it will still taste fine. I think I knead it for about ten minutes.
Take challah.
Let it rise at least a half hour.
Knead again and braid it. Makes me 8 medium challahs.
Paint with egg wash.
Bake at 325F for 35 minutes.
Remove to racks to cool.

Kiraalexz

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:16 am
L K wrote:
A friend of mine replaces sugar with xylitol. Would it work for you?

Definitely! Do you have her recipe?

Kiraalexz

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:18 am
Rutabaga wrote:
You are so sweet to try to accommodate everyone, but it might be too hard to please everyone in one recipe. Is it possible to make two different types of challah, one for the vegan with no eggs or honey and one for the diabetic that's low carb and low sugar? You can freeze challahs if you end up with too much, although maybe right before Pesach isn't the best time for that.

You might be right about pleasing everyone (thank you for the compliment!). I'd like to think I'm not the only one looking for low calorie, low carb Challah with no eggs. Sad

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:41 am
It's not really challah this has no eggs or oil and people really like it.

http://www.thebakerchick.com/2.....read/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics