Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
EASY baby- baby whisperer-routine at night
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:41 am
sunny90 wrote:
thanks pinkbubbles Smile
I wish I could just call up the baby whisperer. too bad she's dead Sad

I didn't know that. bde, poor thing! LOL!

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:51 am
pobody's nerfect wrote:
thank you cubbie. I put what you said into practice today and this is what happened:

Even though he didn't show the signs of tiredness, I put yitzy into his crib after he had been awake for 1 1/2 hours which was after a short morning nap. I figured if I want him to sleep an hour and a half, I couldn't put him down any later because he would be starving during his proposed napping time.
He played in his crib for 5 minutes, then needed help falling asleep. he was much more difficult than usual. It took about 25 minutes until he fell asleep.
After 30 minutes, I heard him wake up. As always, I did not go in because he was only making noises. After 5 minutes, though, he began crying. Here's where it got really difficult.
I held him vertically while gently patting his back. He was hysterical. For ten full minutes, he shrieked and squirmed while I held him and patted. (Mind you, this is a baby whose grandfather has never heard cry. it was quite abnormal to hear him crying so hard for so long.)
I did want to try getting him back to sleep though, so I thought about how I could calm him. I sat in the rocking chair, cradling him, and within 5 minutes he was calm. While still sitting, I transferred him to a vertical position. After a minute, I stood up and kept him vertical. He stayed calm, so I put him in his crib, keeping him on his side and patting, and then rolling him onto his back. I sighed in happiness. But it was short lived. After a minute and a half, he was screaming again.
So I picked him up vertically, but he was still inconsolable, so I went back to the rocking chair. After 5 minutes he was calm, so I put him vertical, then stood up, then tried to put him back in his crib. He freaked out. I tried this 3 times, but he kept screeching.
Back to the rocking chair for 5 minutes. At this point, I had been working with him for 1/2 hour- an hour from when he fell asleep.
I was spent, and unsure if I was even doing the technique properly, so I decided to stop.
The minute I took him out of his room, he relaxed. I made him a bottle, and sat down on the couch. He started crying, but when I gave him the food he was fine. He sucked a full bottle down really fast. then he nuzzled into me, so that I probably could have put him back to sleep if I wanted. Ten minutes later, he started to make noises and play. Now he's on the floor happy as can be.

So.... what am I going to do at his next nap? When should I even attempt putting him in for his nap? Am I doing things right?

Thank you. I really appreciate it!

I had so many of these days.. babies change their sleep needs so often as they're growing up. dont you wish they came with a manual?

like shabri said it could be hes simply able to stay awake for longer. DS went through stages of lasting 2 hours, to 3, 4, then back to 3. now at 15 months hes able to go 2.5/3 hours in the morning and then 3.5/4 hours til his second nap. from then its 4/5 hours to bed time. this is after weeks of figuring it out, sometimes he would only sleep for 30 min naps til I figured out what to change. complicated much? Very Happy

he was waking at 5 am for a while too, that wasn't a good time for anyone at all! now add teething to the mix. FUN! B'H thats over, for now...

frummy613

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:38 pm
I am trying it now as I hear my husband struggling with my son in the next room. I need chizuk since this is absolutely impossible for ALL OF US!

pobody's nerfect

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 12:09 pm
ok, to share some chizuk:

putting Yitzy down to sleep has still been quite a nightmare, but I'm working on that.
however, I've been consistent with not taking him out of his crib unless he is visibly upset, so 2 out of 3 naps a day I've managed to just rub his tummy and keep him in there another half hour. and guess what? slowly, the length of his naps is increasing. yesterday 2 of them went up to 45 minutes, and a 3rd was 50 minutes!! today he was awake from 7:30-10, when I tried to put him to sleep, but he was really upset and I realized he might be hungry. I fed him, let him play for 10 minutes, and then tried to get him to sleep. He ended up falling asleep around 11:05. Now it's 12:05 and he's still shluffing zees!

my question is this (I know, I know, I need the second book!)- is it normal for a baby to be awake through 2 feedings, and then take a longer nap? I can't get him to eat more than 5 oz, and he usually stops at 3 1/2 or 4. That's probably why I can't get him on a 4 hour schedule, because his tummy needs food if he's only eating a smaller amount.
Also, what is the normal range for awake periods during the day for a 4 month old?

shabri

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 2:35 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
ok, to share some chizuk:

putting Yitzy down to sleep has still been quite a nightmare, but I'm working on that.
however, I've been consistent with not taking him out of his crib unless he is visibly upset, so 2 out of 3 naps a day I've managed to just rub his tummy and keep him in there another half hour. and guess what? slowly, the length of his naps is increasing. yesterday 2 of them went up to 45 minutes, and a 3rd was 50 minutes!! today he was awake from 7:30-10, when I tried to put him to sleep, but he was really upset and I realized he might be hungry. I fed him, let him play for 10 minutes, and then tried to get him to sleep. He ended up falling asleep around 11:05. Now it's 12:05 and he's still shluffing zees!

my question is this (I know, I know, I need the second book!)- is it normal for a baby to be awake through 2 feedings, and then take a longer nap? I can't get him to eat more than 5 oz, and he usually stops at 3 1/2 or 4. That's probably why I can't get him on a 4 hour schedule, because his tummy needs food if he's only eating a smaller amount.
Also, what is the normal range for awake periods during the day for a 4 month old?

First of all, good for you! I think the biggest challenge is having to wait a few days to see results. Once you start to see results its easier to continue.

To answer your question, I guess technically yes but I doubt that at 4 mos thats whats happening. Closer to a yr I think it would be ok. She says 4 mos 4 hours. Meaning 2 hours of awake time and 2 hours of nap. Is it possible that instead of putting him in at 10 you could put him in at 9:30? Maybe he wasn't hungry but overtired. I would try to be makpid on the 2 hour time slot (or a little less) for a few days and see what happens.

I don't think 5 oz is so little for a 4 mos old. He could prob go 4 hours on that. If he takes 3.5 and no more then I would wait 15 min and see if he takes more.

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 9:17 am
shabri wrote:
First of all, good for you! I think the biggest challenge is having to wait a few days to see results. Once you start to see results its easier to continue.

To answer your question, I guess technically yes but I doubt that at 4 mos thats whats happening. Closer to a yr I think it would be ok. She says 4 mos 4 hours. Meaning 2 hours of awake time and 2 hours of nap. Is it possible that instead of putting him in at 10 you could put him in at 9:30? Maybe he wasn't hungry but overtired. I would try to be makpid on the 2 hour time slot (or a little less) for a few days and see what happens.

I don't think 5 oz is so little for a 4 mos old. He could prob go 4 hours on that. If he takes 3.5 and no more then I would wait 15 min and see if he takes more.

Ok, with your support we have really been improving! (The book is in the mail, too. Can't wait to devour it!)
Yitzy is going to bed around 8 PM (well, bedtime starts earlier but he falls asleep at 8) and wakes up around 7 AM. He takes 3 naps, 2 of which are at least 70 minutes long. The third (which can be the first, second, or third of the day) is short, about 40 minutes. I think I'm ok with that, but I'd like it to be more set which nap is the short one. He is taking 5-6 ounces at each feed, which has helped push him to a 3.5-4 hour schedule! I am becoming a much happier mommy.

I have more questions, and have been browsing the babywhisperer forums for some help. (Note: there are so many abbreviations! I've figured out most, but what is OT? as in, 'until she is OT' or 'she becomes OT')

My biggest concern now is eliminating night feedings. As of now, he is waking 3 times a night. I have not successfully gotten him to calm down at all without a bottle during the first feed (between 12 and 1). His next one is around 3, and then he wakes again around 5:30. He does not always eat at the 3 and 5 though- last night at 5 he was just uncomfortable in his super wet diaper. He went right back down after I changed him. But that isn't always the case. Which feed do you think I should work on eliminating first? I would say probably the 3 AM. In the 2nd book (which should be getting here soon!) does she explain more in-depth how to eliminate night feedings? Also, should I be doing a dreamfeed? The few times that I did try it, it seemed to just interrupt his sleep cycle and didn't delay the next waking at all.

Thank you, as always!

sunny90

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 9:35 am
So how did you get him to sleep for longer? I also don't take my Avi out of the crib unless he's visibly upset, but he always wakes up after 40-50 min. He cries if I'm with him for too long and not taking him out! So I spend the rest of the hour and a half patting and shushing him back to sleep, usually on me as he just cries in the crib. I feel like I'm putting him to sleep all day!
OT is overtired, UT is undertired :-)
I've been attemptin EASY since he was 5 weeks old but I'm not seeing such good results! I still don't know what to do!

shabri

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 12:24 pm
OT= overtired. Usually its when the baby only sleeps for 1/2 hour thats what it means. Or they have restless sleep, or they wake up really early in the am. All signs of overtiredness.

I'm so excited for you that its working out better. If I were you, I would def do a dreamfeed (or since you are bottle feeding have Dh do it). But try it for 3-5 days. I think you will see results. Its unlikely that if he is eating enough during the day, he needs so many night feeds at this point. So I would try to up his intake during the day (I know you just did, but maybe as you move to a more true 4 hr cycles, he will take more in at each feed) or try the dreamfeed for a few days and see what happens. Could be he will drop 1 or more on his own.

Also could it be he just needs to suck (paci) or as you said is very wet/cold/hot etc.

If all else fails, I would post on the babywhisperer boards. Those ladies are usually spot on

shabri

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 12:25 pm
sunny90 wrote:
So how did you get him to sleep for longer? I also don't take my Avi out of the crib unless he's visibly upset, but he always wakes up after 40-50 min. He cries if I'm with him for too long and not taking him out! So I spend the rest of the hour and a half patting and shushing him back to sleep, usually on me as he just cries in the crib. I feel like I'm putting him to sleep all day!
OT is overtired, UT is undertired :-)
I've been attemptin EASY since he was 5 weeks old but I'm not seeing such good results! I still don't know what to do!

If you give me more info--his age and general routine, I can see if I can help. Did you try wake to sleep?

sunny90

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:44 am
By wake to sleep do you mean patting him/pressure when he's just stirring? I'm going to be trying that in about half an hour...:-)
He's 8 weeks old tomorrow, I've had him on EASY since 5 weeks but the S part is the hard part! When I'm pat/shushing him, I wait til he calms down on me--but at that point he's already asleep. I try to put him down with his eyes open and sometimes I manage but usually when he's tired he falls asleep on me so fast I don't even realize til I'm putting him down!
And sometimes I just can't get him back to sleep at night, unless he basically nursed in his sleep and stayed sleeping afterwards.
Um, I'll give you the schedule he had yesterday.

7:40--woke me up but I think he was up from earlier
E 8:00--R feed 10 min
A diaper change, bouncer, dance for wind-down
S 9:00--wound down, put in crib at 9:10 slightly awake and patted him and he fell asleep
10:05--woke up, patted to put back to sleep, held, put down and patted and he fell asleep without patting at 10:25 but woke up at 10:35, changed diaper
E 10:40--L feed 17 min
A diaper change, bouncer
S 11:30--started getting tired
11:40--brought upstairs, swaddled, cried, walked and pat/shushed with nice music, put in crib at
11:50--kept patting in crib a bit and left music on a bit, he woke up around 12:35 and I patted him till 1
E 1:00--R feed 13 min
A skype with Ima, play on blanket, sit in bouncer for a few minutes but started getting cranky around 2:15
S 2:20--went upstairs, slow danced to calming music, he cried and squirmed but calmed down, swaddled him, patted him a bit with the music and he drooped, put him in crib at
2:25--and he was sleeping!
2:50--made a little noise and probably kicked the slumber bear (womb box) so it started and woke him up, I took it out and rocked a bit and patted back to sleep
3:15--woke up, patted and rocked and fell back asleep a few times, then started crying so picked him up, pat/shushed, and he calmed down and put him in the crib shushing and patting on back then front a bit and FINALLY fell into a deep sleep at 3:40 (but then I had to wake him at 4 for his feed!)
E 4:05--L feed 15 min
A tummy time for a few min, blanket and wrist rattles for a bit
S 5:00--started getting tired, danced around with him, 5:05 swaddled him and sat but he cried and squirmed, so stood and pat/shushed with white noise until
5:15--when he went limp, and put him down in crib and patted on back and then front--asleep! He woke up at 6 on the dot.
E 6:00--R feed 10 min
A downstairs, on laps, bouncer, bath
S none
Y none
E 8:00--L feed 10 min
A none
S 8:15--got sleepy from nursing, burped, swaddled him, he woke up a bit, turned off light and sat and said shema and hamalach and adon olam and patted and rocked, he tried to suck on me but then drooped so I guess he was sleeping, put him in crib and patted a little and he didn't stir
E 11:00--R dreamfeed for 7 min
3:50--L feed
Couldn't properly get him to sleep after that, he kept jolting and I had to keep holding him down, until 6:50 AM! I managed maybe half an hour of straight sleep in all that time.

Hope this tells you something! Thanks!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 7:53 pm
shabri wrote:
1st of all, mazel tov!

2nd of all. Yes. a big part of "The Baby Whisperer" is getting the baby to distinguish between day and night. Which means 1. waking them up every 3 hours during the day to feed them and let them be up a bit and 2. at night try to feed them in the dark, quiet, place and put them right back after the burp.

Bump

Am I doing this whole thing wrong??

Baby is 5.5 weeks. Since birth has been on a natural 3 hr eating schedule (some days 4 hours!) and usually does one 5-6 hour stretch, usually at night but today it was from 8am-1p.

Trying to implement cluster feeding and dreamfeeding now.

Am I supposed to be waking him up every 3 hrs during day to eat?! I did not see this anywhere in her books!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics