Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Which sewimg machine?
1  2  Next

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:06 am
My daughter learnt sewing she is excited to mend the simple stuff for the family. She knows the basics amdbom willing to give her simple sale item's. Which machine should I buy? Shes obbiously a beginner so should be easy for a beginner and in case she gets really good at it it should then be good for a little bit more advanced. Could you help?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:41 am
I have a Brother machine I'm very happy with. I got it on sale for a little over $100. I don't need 80 stitches and letters, but the price was right.
Make sure she knows proper maintenance. It'll save you on repairs.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:51 am
I can't recommend a particular model, but there are certain functions you want to make sure it has. Adjustable stitch length, adjustable stitch width, backstitch, a mechanism for winding bobbins, replaceable presser foot. She'll need all of those for garment sewing.

It's nice if it has a stretch stitch other than zig-zag, but not strictly necessary. Likewise if it has a particular method for sewing buttonholes, but they're quite possible to sew with just adjustable stitch length and width.

So long as it has a standard presser foot attachment (there are 3 or 4 different common types), you can buy whatever feet she finds she needs as she goes along. The ones I use most often are the universal, zipper, invisible zipper, and walking foot (that last one is for stretchy knits and sticky fabrics like vinyl- I didn't need it as a beginner). I think most machines come with the first two and those really are the most important for basic sewing.

Beyond that, you don't need a top-line machine IMO. Look at reviews and find one that is within your price range and doesn't have too many complaints about reliability.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 2:07 am
Water_bear88, all of those things are standard on most sewing machines. I consider them "musts".
If you could, get one that has access to the needle area for cleaning.
A drop in bobbin is easier. A needle threader is helpful.
Clip on feet are easier than screw on.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 2:14 am
Iymnok wrote:
Water_bear88, all of those things are standard on most sewing machines. I consider them "musts".
If you could, get one that has access to the needle area for cleaning.
A drop in bobbin is easier. A needle threader is helpful.
Clip on feet are easier than screw on.

I've seen a machine with no backstitch, if you can believe it! It was a cheap one, under 50 dollars. I agree on most of those being musts, but I don't think they'd all be obvious to someone who doesn't sew so I listed them. I do maintain that you can put in an invisible zipper with a regular zipper foot without too much trouble, and since some people prefer a roller foot to a walking foot I'd say you can buy whichever you prefer separately.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 2:38 am
Many types are good, like Brother, Pfaf, but Bernina is the top in price and as a work horse

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 2:39 am
You're right. I've actually been more successful with a regular zipper foot for an invisible zipper.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:18 am
Thanks friends!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:49 am
My sister has the brother from costco mrs fishman really recommends it.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:21 am
What is a roller foot amd what is a walking foot?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:35 am
The walking foot mechanism is a little hard to explain without examining it, but it basically adjusts the pressure with every stitch of the needle so the top fabric moves along evenly with the bottom fabric. One example: https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....466c5
Though I see slightly cheaper versions on the site- this had a clearer picture.

A roller foot has rollers built in, a different way of trying to solve the same issue. Knits get the issue if the top fabric is stretched more than the bottom fabric and sticky fabrics such as vinyl just won't slide smoothly under a standard presser foot.

lechtigkeit

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 10:04 am
I was just recommended to get this one by a sewing teacher, & so far I'm really happy with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sin.....76269

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 10:54 am
Hope it's ok to jump in here with a question. What would you get an 11 year old who sews by hand (self taught, just getting the hang of it with experimenting) and wants a sewing machine for afikomen (but I won't be able to teach her how to use it)?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
Hope it's ok to jump in here with a question. What would you get an 11 year old who sews by hand (self taught, just getting tge hang of it with experimenting) and wants a sewing machine for afikomen (but I won't be able to teach her how to use it)?

What would I get her? Sewing lessons Smile
Maybe a fabric store near you has a short class in the summer- the one I did in high school was a week long. With hand-sewing, it's harder to stab yourself in the eye breaking a needle (actually, I've never broken a hand needle). There are safety reasons I wouldn't give an 11-year-old a sewing machine without some basic adult instruction.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:07 am
water_bear88 wrote:
What would I get her? Sewing lessons Smile
Maybe a fabric store near you has a short class in the summer- the one I did in high school was a week long. With hand-sewing, it's harder to stab yourself in the eye breaking a needle (actually, I've never broken a hand needle). There are safety reasons I wouldn't give an 11-year-old a sewing machine without some basic adult instruction.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your advice!

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your advice!

You're quite welcome!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:28 am
See if there's a longer class in the summer. Even with the one week classes you come home with a garment. Mine was a skirt.

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:33 am
Ramom call up mrs fishman she can tell you if she thinks your dd is capable and ready.

As an aside question. Your dd sounds very mature. If she's the type that takes instructions and warnings seriously she really might be ready. 11 yr olds can be really serious and mature. I think Faigy fishman can tell you for sure.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:46 am
sourstix wrote:
Ramom call up mrs fishman she can tell you if she thinks your dd is capable and ready.

As an aside question. Your dd sounds very mature. If she's the type that takes instructions and warnings seriously she really might be ready. 11 yr olds can be really serious and mature. I think Faigy fishman can tell you for sure.

I'm not questioning her readiness! A few hours' instruction either in a group class or with a private instructor are plenty. I'd just treat a sewing machine as I would a food processor- sure a mature 11-year-old can learn how to use it safely, but they need some basic instructions so they don't end up in the emergency room chv"sh.

gande

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:49 am
There are many videos on YouTube for your daughter to learn how to use the machine.
I let my 7 year old sew with my machine.

I have a brother cs600 was $80 on amazon. Im very happy with it because it it extremely easy to use.I think they have a newer model by now though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing