Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
TTI OT program

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:01 am
Was thinking about starting my master's degree through TTI. Just wondering if anyone has actually completed their OT program and got a good job? PLEASE share your experience!!!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:04 am
I know someone that did it.
Just realize that you're limiting your job offers.
If you're fine with working for a heimishe agency in a chassdish school then you can consider it, otherwise you really shouldn't.

Sorry if I come across aggressive, that's not my intent- just trying to be realistic.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
I know someone that did it.
Just realize that you're limiting your job offers.
If you're fine with working for a heimishe agency in a chassdish school then you can consider it, otherwise you really shouldn't.

Sorry if I come across aggressive, that's not my intent- just trying to be realistic.

I just transferred my diploma (got it in another country) and was looking for different options to get my masters degree. Unfortunately, I have pretty low GPA, so not sure that "real" colleges would accept me. Do you think it'll be impossible to work for a nonjewish agency or in a public school after TTI?

miami85

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:48 am
I thought their program is through LIU Post--isn't that a reputable school? I know someone in the program right now.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:02 am
Just speaking as an OT here. I would not hire someone whose degree is from TTI. Also, you will one day likely regret not having an education that gives you the skills to do your job well. I went to a highly regarded school and I still spend lots of free time furthering my education. I can't imagine how much independent learning I would have to do to make up for not having a good basis to start with.

Maryann

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:44 am
interesting I didnt know TTI was so bad...
what about their special ed degree masters
is that a good degree?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 12:28 pm
miami85 wrote:
I thought their program is through LIU Post--isn't that a reputable school? I know someone in the program right now.

It's not through LIU- that's Bulka

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 1:23 pm
Is it indicated anywhere, that you obtain your degree through TTI? I thought you just get a university diploma...
For OT it would be NYIT degree as I know.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 1:28 pm
Maryann wrote:
interesting I didnt know TTI was so bad...
what about their special ed degree masters
is that a good degree?

I know of a program director who is frum and employs many frum teachers- and she will not consider a teacher who is a TTI graduate.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
Is it indicated anywhere, that you obtain your degree through TTI? I thought you just get a university diploma...
For OT it would be NYIT degree as I know.

Of course a degree states the accrediting college. Do you mean license?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 4:48 pm
I am the director of an OT department for a large Early Intervention Agency in NYC. I hire TTI graduates from their COTA program and from their OT program, as well as OT and COTA "fresh grads" from other schools.
The graduates from the TTI program are just as qualified and well trained as the other OTs and COTAs that work for me.

I also lecture and assist OT students navigate the workforce for the first time. When going through school, a lot of students feel like they don't know anything. This is true across all schools. The important factor is to get a fieldwork placement that will give the the skills you need in your choice of population.

When considering TTI (NYIT), you should be concerned about the price of the degree, as compared to other schools like York and Downstate. While in school, work on your professionalism, and try to find mentors that can answer your questions in your first few years of practicing. Take charge of your personal growth and learning process. The sooner you do this, the better of a practitioner you will become.

Those, I believe are the important factors.

(FTR, fresh graduates are allowed to work in Early Intervention. Anyone who says you need a DOH letter in order to see children through EI has their information wrong).

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 6:57 pm
Bump

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 7:15 pm
If the end result is a master's and an ot license I don't see why your job opportunities should be that limited. I doubt you will get a prestigious job but the typical agencies probably wouldnt have a problem with it. However, I can assume you dont get a great education which may make it harder when you start working.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 7:21 pm
I’m sorry, but I can’t imagine if you were hiring for an OT position and one resume said Columbia and one said TTI that it would even be a question to whom you were granting an interview.

Look, if there is an opening that needs to be filled and the other candidates have a similar degree, then absolutely, but if it is one position and 15 competitive applications it’s a different story.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 7:37 pm
I don’t think the graduate has to even mention TTI on her resume- she can just write NYIT! Doesn’t TTI just organize the frum program? They have nothing to do with the coursework etc-that’s all NYIT.
Personally, I went to a more recognized university for my OT degree and I learned most of what I know from my supervisors and continuing education.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:16 pm
I’m an SLP through TTI and I have a good job, BH. I definitely came out educated, though work experience and continuing ed are the most valuable contributions to my knowledge base. It doesn’t say TTI on any document, just the name of my college.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 3:52 pm
OTs are High in demand right now in Brooklyn NY. But we don't get paid a lot and most people seem burned out after working a couple of years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries