Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
I need a no fail nut cake recipe

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 1:40 pm
one that doesn't fall .. I have an amazing chocolate cake recipe and chocolate chip squares recipe ... but my dh doesn't like chocolate. All other recipes seem to fall. Do you have a pesach cake recipe, preferably a nut cake that always comes out good??

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:21 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
one that doesn't fall .. I have an amazing chocolate cake recipe and chocolate chip squares recipe ... but my dh doesn't like chocolate. All other recipes seem to fall. Do you have a pesach cake recipe, preferably a nut cake that always comes out good??

This one is foolproof:

Hazelnut Torte

8 eggs, separated
1¼ cups sugar
1 tsp. orange extract
5½ cups finely ground filberts
3 tbsp. strained, warmed apricot jam
whole filberts to garnish

Glaze:
6 oz. semi sweet chocolate
¼ cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Beat yolks with sugar. Add orange extract.
Beat whites until stiff.
Fold nuts and whites into yolk mixture, alternating in 3 steps. Pour batter into greased 9½” springform pan.
Bake 50-55 minutes until tester comes out clean. Let cake rest 5 minutes, then unmold onto cake rack. When cake has cooled, brush top with jam.
For glaze, combine chocolate and water in top of double boiler. Melt over hot water, stirring until smooth. When jam is set, pour hot glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with whole filberts. Let stand until glaze is set.

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:29 pm
This one is incredibly simple and delicious.
Mommy's a'h Nut Cake:
12 eggs - separated
14 ozs. sugar
3 tsp. lemon juice
12 ozs. ground walnuts
3/4 tsp. dry coffee - no water dilution
6 ozs. potato starch

Beat egg whites until snow. While beating, gradually add sugar. Then add rest of ingredients, with potato starch last. Bake in 9 X 13 pan for one hour on 350 degrees. Enjoy.
Cha Kosher Ve'Sameach

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:50 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Mommy's a'h Nut Cake:
12 eggs - separated
14 ozs. sugar
3 tsp. lemon juice
12 ozs. ground walnuts
6 ozs. potato starch

Beat egg whites until snow. While beating, gradually add sugar. Then add rest of ingredients, with potato starch last. Bake in 9 X 13 pan for one hour on 350 degrees. Enjoy.
Cha Kosher Ve'Sameach

Thanks for posting!

I love recipes that are fluffy because the eggs are separated but easy because you mix everything in one bowl, no folding.

Is 14 oz of sugar, almost 2 cups?

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:04 pm
Yes, it's 1-3/4 cups sugar. I find it easier to work with ozs. than fractions of cups Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:17 pm
I just add ground almonds to my sponge cake recipe

spring13

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:20 pm
https://elanaspantry.com/lees-.....cake/

https://elanaspantry.com/cinna.....cake/

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:45 pm
thank you!!

ootbubby, that sounds delicious and beautiful to serve! I don't have orange extract, can I use orange juice?

downsyndrome, I love how easy this recipe is! The eggs really don't separate and sink to the bottom of the cake?? I am going to try this!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:51 pm
This is yummy.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

minnie mouse

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 5:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This is yummy.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

I"ve been making this for yrs. Its always a hit! I use the recipe from the balabustas choice. It has 12 eggs instead of 10, and 3 T. coffee diluted, instead of the cocoa.

minnie mouse

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:04 pm
My mil recipe

10 eggs separated
1 cup, plus 2 T. sugar
3/4 Cup potato starch
3/4 cup ground nuts (walnuts)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat whites with half of sugar until very stiff. In a sep bowl, beat yolks with rest of sugar until lemony yellow. Slowly add rest of ingredients. Gently fold in the snow by hand. Bake in a tube pan for 1 hr. Let cool completely upside down, before removing the cake from pan.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:40 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Mommy's a'h Nut Cake:
12 eggs - separated
14 ozs. sugar
3 tsp. lemon juice
12 ozs. ground walnuts
6 ozs. potato starch

Cha Kosher Ve'Sameach

Thank you so much for this recipe! It came out very nicely - the texture is great! I love 1 bowl pesach cake recipes! BTW, are you the one I heard on chazak?

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 9:27 am
Thumbs up to the successful nut cake - and it's delicious too!
Yes, you heard me on Chazak. Did you like what you heard?

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 10:18 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Thumbs up to the successful nut cake - and it's delicious too!
Yes, you heard me on Chazak. Did you like what you heard?

yes! you spoke very well and it was very interesting. I was especially interested since years ago I bought a number of your magazines as they came out starting with the first issue. So it was nice to hear your voice as I felt that I "knew" who you were through your writing.

When you first published your magazine, (I think it was close to 20 yrs ago?) I was an older single girl searching for reading material. I was drawn to the magazine as it was packed with articles and information. Remember, there was so little to read back then so even though downs syndrome was not an issue I was dealing with, it was informative and well written so I read it! And kept buying them as they were published. I think I noticed a new magazine on the shelves when I was pregnant (finally) with my first but felt too nervous to read about down syndrome at that time (especially since I was considered older).

The interesting thing is that even though I stopped purchasing the publication (are you still publishing?) I received a phone call from a friend about 11 yrs ago. She said that her relative just gave birth to a downs baby and the family was in shock/ having a hard time.... then she remembered that a good 10 years earlier I lent her your magazine and told her to read it. Well, she never returned it so she dug it out of storage and shared it with all of her family members!

And now your mother's nut cake is sitting in my freezer ...how's that for a small world? Smile

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 10:27 pm
Gevaldig! The incredible shrinking world and what goes around comes around and what other cliches can I quickly think of.... Very Happy
I still publish Down Syndrome Amongst Us. In fact, it has become a semi-annual publication and it appears in the AMI magazine reading packet - once in the winter and once in the summer. Incidentally, I wrote a story, which is published in the AMI Pesach Story Collections.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 10:36 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Gevaldig! The incredible shrinking world and what goes around comes around and what other cliches can I quickly think of.... Very Happy
I still publish Down Syndrome Amongst Us. In fact, it has become a semi-annual publication and it appears in the AMI magazine reading packet - once in the winter and once in the summer. Incidentally, I wrote a story, which is published in the AMI Pesach Story Collections.

I'm sitting here typing up a grocery order ..things I need for shabbos, for erev pesach ... and I was just thinking which magazine to treat myself for yomtov. I will order the Ami - thanks! I look forward to reading your story!

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:34 am
Anyone has a really easy no-fail Nut Cake, made with ground walnuts, that many here use over and over?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics