Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Religious exemption & then selectively vaccinate. Possible?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:19 pm
Quote:
Bottom line I have two questions:
1. Would the doctor by whom I will vaccinate be able to see on my childs universal vaccine record that I submitted a religious exemption?

2. Will the school ever find out that I do vaccinate if the physician they have on file for my child doesn't ever vaccinate my child (because I do it somewhere else)?

All vaccines given in a certain state are visible in that states registry online, which doctors and schools have access to.

There is no way they can see online whether or not you've submitted a religious exemption. All it shows is what vaccines your child received.

Now: when you give a vaccine, it's not like a pop up comes up on the computer in your childs school to say you gave this shot. They have to go in, and actively seach for the vaccines under a child's name and DOB. I doubt the school would be looking online for your child's vaccines if you submitted an exemption form, because they assume you're not giving any. And your primary doctor likely won't look online for vaccines either, because they know that you haven't vaccinated.

However- is it potentially possible that they will decide to go online and look for your child's name and see the record? Of course it's possible, but I think it's not that likely.

Another thing to think about- I don't know which pediatrician would see your child for vaccines only without having a well visit there. I know that in our office, unless your well visit was less than a year ago, you can't come in just for shots.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:22 pm
and also think of any other time you will need to be up to date on vaccines, like camp, wic, college... theyll be able to see that you gave vaccines.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:22 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
FranticFrummie, NY State currently has in legislation laws to mandate HPV vaccine. Let's say a parent wants to delay that till their kid is 14 instead of 11, for example. They would have no recourse.

For public school students, perhaps. If you assume that they're going to check on every student's 11th birthday.

For private schools, there's plenty of recourse.

But what's the benefit of delaying that vaccine for 3 years?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
But the op is saying she wants to selectively vaccinate. That would render a religious exemption invalid according to ny law.

Correct- there's no way to legally selectively vaccinate in NY and attend school.
There's is a way to give some vaccines and then submit a religious exemption, but then you have to include another section in your exemption letter explaining that. After religious exemption is submitted, you can't give anymore vaccines or it will be invalid.

Think about it- you're writing the religious exemption because vaccines are against your beliefs so how do you justify giving some vaccines after that?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
So would you know whether the religious exemption would show up on my childs vaccine record??

Im thinking to hand in a religious exemption to enter school. Then I wud switch doctors for whenever I want to give a specific vaccine. But, for the school my childs primary care physician would be the one where I dont vaccinate. Would that work??

Bottom line I have two questions:
1. Would the doctor by whom I will vaccinate be able to see on my childs universal vaccine record that I submitted a religious exemption?

2. Will the school ever find out that I do vaccinate if the physician they have on file for my child doesn't ever vaccinate my child (because I do it somewhere else)?

The doctors won't find out about your religious exemption, nor would they even care to.

The school and DOH have access that database where all vaccines are recorded and they will see which vaccines your child has or doesn't have. That's why this plan won't work. It makes no difference which doctors administer the vaccines. You can't cheat the database.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 8:21 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
I don't know if this differs state by state or what, but my experience is that religious exemptions do not have to be all or nothing if, say, a person is religiously opposed to certain vaccines that contain fetal tissue, or a vaccine like HPV that is related almost exclusively to s*xual contact. In fact in my location where the religious Jewish schools do not accept religious exemptions at all, these schools do not require the HPV vaccination.
I am not in NY.

FYI if this helps anyone, I was able to find open-minded MDs by getting involved in holistic moms groups and getting referrals from other alternative-minded mothers. Or, contacting licensed (or licenseable) NDs and asking them who the open-minded MDs and DOs are in the area.
OP, I applaud your efforts and trusting your intuition about not vaxing your son. Good luck!

That is because it's not required in almost any state at all.
NY legislators are trying to change that for their state.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
and also think of any other time you will need to be up to date on vaccines, like camp, wic, college... theyll be able to see that you gave vaccines.

WIC is only till 5, isn't it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
For public school students, perhaps. If you assume that they're going to check on every student's 11th birthday.

For private schools, there's plenty of recourse.

But what's the benefit of delaying that vaccine for 3 years?

No, in NY if a private school is insisting on the state mandated schedule, the only recourse is medical exemption or religious which is extremely hard to prove by NY standards (other states don't require it to be an organized religious belief, or let you pick and choose). From what I hear from people in NY, it's basically all or nothing and you have to prove your religion and it might not hold up. Since HPV is not YET mandated, it has not been a problem. I threw it out as an example of something some people may want to delay. Everyone has their own reasoning for things. The legislation in progress is to have it checked either going into 6th or 7th grade (I forget), nothing to do with the kid's birthday.
So let's say a parent wants to see how their kid reacts to the meningitis vaccine given at the same age, and wants to space that out, and their child has skipped a grade so is on the young end and can't get it earlier in the year...that would be an example of wanting to delay and not being able to.
Other parents like to explain to their children the benefit of the vaccine and would be hard pressed to start explaining to an 11 yo why exactly they need this vaccine at that time. At 14, maybe the kid understands more. I have no idea. I'm trying to read fictitious people's minds Wink I just like looking at the bigger picture and understanding others may want to do things differently than legislators want.

I am not giving a far fetched scenario here. This is real, this is happening, and unless people work to stop it, it may very well become reality in the frum schools soon.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics