Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Lost my job
1  2  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:25 pm
Hi, I just lost my job yesterday, I live in NY.
Is anyone here familiar with the different laws regarding unemployment in NY?
They said they will pay me for 6 weeks is there anything else I am eligible for?

Thanks so much

leah233

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:35 pm
Are you sure they said six weeks not six months? NYS is very lenient about qualifying for unemployment

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:37 pm
Sounds like she qualified, but only for 6 weeks. OP, can you apply for food stamps now?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:40 pm
Yes I can apply for foodstamps, that will take time,
And he will pay for 6 weeks NOT months.... So What do I do? Tia

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:43 pm
Hugs. Im sorry. File for unemployment.dont leave it up to your boss to decide.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:45 pm
Good luck

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 03 2017, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, I just lost my job yesterday, I live in NY.
Is anyone here familiar with the different laws regarding unemployment in NY?
They said they will pay me for 6 weeks is there anything else I am eligible for?

Thanks so much

It sounds like they have offered you a severance payment of 6 weeks, which is unrelated to your claim for government unemployment compensation. You probably will be required to sign a severance agreement, agreeing not to sue (eg) or make disparaging comments about the company, in order to receive the payment. You should definitely read any such agreement carefully, and even better yet, have it reviewed by counsel. You may also negotiate -- eg, ask for 3 months severance.

You should also have received information relating to your rights under COBRA to continue your health insurance coverage (if you have it), and also regarding other benefits you might have.

For unemployment benefits, you must file a claim with NY State. Here's the site with instructions: https://labor.ny.gov/ui/how_to......shtm Certain types of termination for cause may render you ineligible for unemployment, but that's rare. APPLY ASAP, as there is a waiting period.

As others mention, if your income is below a certain level, you may be entitled to other government benefits, such as WIC.

Best of luck.

Not legal advice. Just being friendly.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:12 pm
Yes u should apply immediately for unemployment. In many states you can do it over the Internet. Unemployment is in addition to the severance pay of six weeks yu are being offered. Severance pay is not an obligation as posted above and is separate from unemployment insurance.

I believe there is a one week waiting period for unemployment, so the sooner you apply the better.

Yiu should definitely check out Cobra but since the premium is not subsidized by the employer, you might find that getting insurance through Obamacare is a better deal especially if your income qualifies for a subsidy. At one time, before Obamacare Cobra was more important because many people could not get insurance on the private market. Now you can and unemployment is a qualifying event so you can get it right away.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:22 pm
Thank you so much Everyone, can you only get unemployment if you worked for a certain amount of time?

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much Everyone, can you only get unemployment if you worked for a certain amount of time?

It's a bit complicated because it's based on earnings from past quarters - not the specific quarter you were fired from.

The best thing to do is apply as soon as possible with all your information and then let them determine. If you go on-line to the state employment office, it would also provide the exact information in terms of earnings and what the qualifying employed quarters are.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:44 pm
Thanks, I'm in middle of applying online

Another question just to understand
I was told I would get paid now for about 6 weeks, Im scared that when my boss gets the letter to pay unemployment for me, he would say hey I don't want to pay u twice? Or am I totally off? Does the government pay this money or him?? Thanks everyone..

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, I'm in middle of applying online

Another question just to understand
I was told I would get paid now for about 6 weeks, Im scared that when my boss gets the letter to pay unemployment for me, he would say hey I don't want to pay u twice? Or am I totally off? Does the government pay this money or him?? Thanks everyone..

Your boss doesn't directly pay - he pays insurance to the fund. Unless he is a complete ogre, he is not going to fight your claim or not pay your severance.

The cost to him of your unemployment benefits is minimal since he has to pay insurance anyway unless he has massive amounts of fired employees which might raise his premiums.

It's very common for "normal" employers to pay severance and assume that employees will claim unemployment. Besides being menschledick, as posted above, you will probably sign a letter stating you won't sue.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 4:01 pm
Well my boss was not so nice...
But anyway I feel hesitant to apply because 2 other people were fired over the past while I was there and I saw how annoyed he was and I helped him to "fight" back bc he didn't want to pay,
I just don't want to lose out, my boss can just say I told you I'm paying you 6 weeks why are you also filing this claim against me so I'm not paying u..
That's why I'm thinking to ask him to put something in writing that he will pay me for 6 weeks and then claim,
But honestly Im not looking to fight in anyway, I just have 3 kids kah and I am supporting my family so anything extra is just a huge help
Any advice?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 5:55 pm
sorry op but can I ask you why you helped him fight back? and what is this business with your boss firing everyone?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:16 pm
He fired 2 other pple, for other reasons, and I am his personal assistant... So I always took care of his things so I filled out the paperwork

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:02 pm
I was thinking to only apply for the unemployment once I finish getting my severence pay? Any thoughts on this?

(bc I heard from the other person that got fierd that the unemployment wasn't so much money so it won't be worth it for me)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:04 pm
Also I think the way he will pay my severence pay is that he will keep me on the payroll as If I am still working so how can I apply for unemployment, I'm just so scared to lose the few weeks he said hell give me

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:14 pm
Why you're filing is not really a question. He's offering six weeks. Unemployement is six months. It's not your full salary but it comes out to be significantly more than what he is offering you.

Do you know what the outcome with the other employees was? And three is not enough to raise his rates from what I understand. And you don't need to say, but why were you fired? That may make a difference.

I collected unemployment years ago. BH my employers didn't fight it. They let tens of people go at the same time because business was bad so I'm guessing their rates did go up.

Alternatively, maybe you can file after you get the six weeks pay. I think the waiting period is from the time you are fired, not the time you file but I'm not sure on that.

Good luck!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
I was thinking to only apply for the unemployment once I finish getting my severence pay? Any thoughts on this?

(bc I heard from the other person that got fierd that the unemployment wasn't so much money so it won't be worth it for me)

I think unemployement is 60% of your pay up to about $400 a week. I guess it really depends how much you were making.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:18 pm
So do you think I can get severence and unemployment at the same time?
Like if he keeps paying me now as if I am working they will see on my social that I am getting paid, and also government is not stupid why would they sort of pay me twice, like they see I am getting severence and then why will they give me unemployment?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries